Proposal: Colorado - Dallas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Avs would be smart to get out of that ugly Girard contract now. Don’t think Dallas goes for it, they probably don’t want to tie themselves to another bad long term contract
Habs don’t have a single contract on their books that is better than Sam’s. Not even your deal with Suzuki. You know it too. Girard owned the Habs the other night. Clowned your D and forecheck several times.

he’d be far and away best defender on the awful Habs. Truth is he’d be your best player overall.

Last edited:
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Habs don’t have a single contract on their books that is better than Sam’s. Not even your deal with Suzuki. You know it too. Girard owned the Habs the other night. Clowned your D and forecheck several times.

This isn’t about the Habs this is about Sam Girard and his lack of ability to play under pressure in the post season. Add that to the fact that he’s basically been a one year wonder ala cheechoo. Ava needs to find a way to get out of that horrible contract before other teams catch up

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
This isn’t about the Habs this is about Sam Girard and his lack of ability to play under pressure in the post season. Add that to the fact that he’s basically been a one year wonder ala cheechoo. Ava needs to find a way to get out of that horrible contract before other teams catch up
Girard had two bad games vs Vegas. He was great vs the Blues as the Avs shredded them. Girard has been a great player his entire career.

MacKinnon played poorly vs Vegas for a few games. So did Landy. Guess they are both worthless too.

Vegas played way below their standard vs the Habs. Guess Stone, Tuch and Patches are worthless as well. A few bad games don’t define a player.

it’s those extended periods of suck the Habs are in right now where you turn the corner from a few bad games to nothing but bad games when you see values erode (Petry, Gallagher, Price, Drouin, Hoffman). Dvorak and Anderson will get there too as negative value assets. .

This is fun.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

Out of curiosity, how many just turned 23 year old defensemen regularly dominate the post season? Are we really supposed to believe Girard sucks because Vegas made him look like an inexperienced youngster?

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Girard had two bad games vs Vegas. He was great vs the Blues as the Avs shredded them. Girard has been a great player his entire career.

MacKinnon played poorly vs Vegas for a few games. So did Landy. Guess they are both worthless too.

Vegas played way below their standard vs the Habs. Guess Stone, Tuch and Patches are worthless as well. A few bad games don’t define a player.

it’s those extended periods of suck the Habs are in right now where you turn the corner from a few bad games to nothing but bad games when you see values erode (Petry, Gallagher, Price, Drouin, Hoffman). Dvorak and Anderson will get there too as negative value assets. .

This is fun.

All these players you mentioned from Montreal have seen past the second round. All the ones from Colorado have not. This should tell you everything you need to know about your players capacity to elevate their games when it really matters

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
?

I mean, sure, if a player's age is the one and only thing you're choosing to look at here, then Girard is your guy.

Your GM might surprise you, though, and trade a younger player for an older player. :amazed:

Shocking, I know, but it does happen from time to time!

Wow you're really doubling down hey?

Ok, how about the fact the 23 year old is signed for 5 more years way below market value? While the 38 year old is a UFA.

Honestly pure delusion if you think Pavelski is worth more than Girard. Simple as that.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Out of curiosity, how many just turned 23 year old defensemen regularly dominate the post season? Are we really supposed to believe Girard sucks because Vegas made him look like an inexperienced youngster?

Vegas and St-Louis made him look very bad in 2021. Dallas did in 2020 and both Calgary and San Jose did in 2019.

At what point do we stop blaming it on lack of experience (after his 4th consecutive year in the post season) and just realize that he’s just not one of those players who is able to perform under pressure?

He’s the kind of guy who is very good playing pond hockey with friends but is unable to compete at a high level when it really matters. He’s grossly overpaid and GMs knows it and it’s only a question of time before casual fans realize that

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Vegas and St-Louis made him look very bad in 2021. Dallas did in 2020 and both Calgary and San Jose did in 2019.

At what point do we stop blaming it on lack of experience (after his 4th consecutive year in the post season) and just realize that he’s just not one of those players who is able to perform under pressure?

He’s the kind of guy who is very good playing pond hockey with friends but is unable to compete at a high level when it really matters. He’s grossly overpaid and GMs knows it and it’s only a question of time before casual fans realize that

And yet, despite allegedly looking "very bad" in so many playoff series, he's still somehow 30th in playoff PPG over the last 4 playoffs among D with 10+ playoff games played, at 0.46 (17 points, 37 games), and only a -1.

At what point do you start naming the 23 year old D who are so much better than he is when it really matters? If he's simply someone who can't perform under pressure, then I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a bunch of 23 year olds who make it look easy. Unless, of course, you're just trying to pretend that Girard should be held to a higher standard than everyone else...

Saucepass

May 11, 2019
And yet, despite allegedly looking "very bad" in so many playoff series, he's still somehow 30th in playoff PPG over the last 4 playoffs among D with 10+ playoff games played, at 0.46 (17 points, 37 games), and only a -1.

At what point do you start naming the 23 year old D who are so much better than he is when it really matters? If he's simply someone who can't perform under pressure, then I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a bunch of 23 year olds who make it look easy. Unless, of course, you're just trying to pretend that Girard should be held to a higher standard than everyone else...

How about 21 year old Miro Heiskanen with 26 points in the playoffs. All while playing against other teams top lines.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Wow you're really doubling down hey?

Ok, how about the fact the 23 year old is signed for 5 more years way below market value? While the 38 year old is a UFA.

Honestly pure delusion if you think Pavelski is worth more than Girard. Simple as that.

Nothing delusional about placing value on one of the top pending UFAs in the league, who happens to be putting together a fantastic season and I'm sure drawing plenty of attention from the Cup contenders

4 more points for him tonight, by the way.

Your main argument for Girard appears to be "yeah, well, he's 23".

Cool.

You've been around here long enough, seen enough trade deadlines that surely the concept of trading youth for a pending UFA isn't new to you, right?

I mean, it DOES happen. Quite possibly every year. :laugh:

Maybe drop the incredulous act and realize it's not exactly thinking outside the box to see these two in a deal.

Last edited:

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Even with a 3 team list Pavelski could still get a haul depending on how GM Nill goes about it. I’m not so sure Nill may be looking to sell at this point though.

4 - 0 on the Stars road trip wrapped up tonight, even against bottom teams, is going to make this an interesting next couple of weeks.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Nothing delusional about placing value on one of the top pending UFAs in the league, who happens to be putting together a fantastic season and I'm sure drawing plenty of sttention from the Cup contenders

4 more points for him tonight, by the way.

Your main argument for Girard appears to be "yeah, well, he's 23".

Cool.

You've been around here long enough, seen enough trade deadlines that surely the concept of trading youth for a pending UFA isn't new to you, right?

I mean, it DOES happen. Quite possibly every year. :laugh:

Maybe drop the incredulous act and realize it's not exactly thinking outside the box to see these two in a deal.

Who? You need to come out of the shadows with this. 3 of the cup contenders don't have 1st round picks. Then look at all the other options in this buyers market.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Who? You need to come out of the shadows with this. 3 of the cup contenders don't have 1st round picks. Then look at all the other options in this buyers market.

I have no idea who, it's not like they can discuss it openly anyway.

And besides with Dallas on a bit of a roll now it's looking more like they may not even be sellers at the deadline.

If they ARE sellers, though, you can be sure that Pavelski would be high on a lot of lists. It's just common sense.

Reactions: Dynamite Time

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX

And besides with Dallas on a bit of a roll now it's looking more like they may not even be sellers at the deadline.

If they ARE sellers, though, you can be sure that Pavelski would be high on a lot of lists. It's just common sense.
Had posted in the last hour or so on the Stars board I wouldn’t be surprised if Nill isn’t a seller as well.

It’s probably his last run with the Stars and he may look at it as he’s help set the team up with a solid group of young NHL players as well as others coming in soon and he’s going to go after it.

I know Pavelski is 37 but he’s got 48 points in 40 games under a defensive coached Bones system which is amazing.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
How about 21 year old Miro Heiskanen with 26 points in the playoffs. All while playing against other teams top lines.

Absolutely. Makar and Hughes too. But when there's only 3 defensemen in the NHL drafted since 2015 (the year before Girard) that have a significantly higher PPG than him in the playoffs over the last 4 years (10 games minimum), I'd think he's probably pretty good himself. I certainly don't see how any rational person would think he's not worth his $5m AAV.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

Fair enough.

But, for what it's worth, there will potentially be suitors for a lot of different players at the TDL that are also high on a lot of lists.

Reactions: Dr Pepper

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
All these players you mentioned from Montreal have seen past the second round. All the ones from Colorado have not. This should tell you everything you need to know about your players capacity to elevate their games when it really matters
And yet none of them have positive value with the exception of Toffoli and Anderson.

And No one remembers the loser of the Stanley Cup except that team’s fans that got close but ultimately disappointed. 2nd place is still just the first loser. And MB drafted a sexual deviant with the 31st overall pick so there was that bonus last part. Crappy draft slot and stupid pick.

Talk about a nose dive for a team that didn’t win it all either. From first loser to last loser with a boatload of negative value contracts that have several years of term remaining in a flat cap era. Habs will be a lottery team for years to come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad