College Hockey College Free Agent talk II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Some idiot once wrote this:

The 6’0’ – 176-pound center had 20 goals and 27 assists in 55 games last season. He currently has 31 goals and 44 assists in 51 games. At this level, Vierling certainly has the skills to be a playmaker, but he also possesses an excellent shot though I’m not sure his shot beats NHL goaltenders with regularity as it does in the OHL. His game also doesn’t show bottom six energy guy either so, I’m not sure he has an NHL future. But he could have an AHL career ahead of him. Vierling was not in my top 60 last season as the Rangers still owned his rights but I had him ranked 20th among OHL skaters in 2020.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
The Bruins tend to like those 20 year old FAs, though I'm not convinced anyone has been working on Causeway since the presser.
Have to think they're waiting for some of these guys seasons to finish along with August 15th deadline to arrive
At least that's my hope

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Have to think they're waiting for some of these guys seasons to finish along with August 15th deadline to arrive
At least that's my hope
Or, like that PHR article mentioned, for June 1st for the same/similar deadline for the unsigned CHL guys. Maybe even after the draft, if those passed by last year go undrafted again. There are a couple OHL dudes that are interesting that might go double undrafted UFA.

Brock did a nice writeup on OHL players undrafted last season.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Bruins must feel its not worth wasting time and efforts on these invites to only have them sign with other organizations in the end.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I worry that the Bruins have shot themselves in the foot with college free agents. They've shown they're one of the worst teams in the league at giving kids chances.

Ahcan has been NHL ready for years and is buried in the minors. McLaughlin has a great NHL debut, follows that with a great camp, gets buried in the minors... Even Wissman (not a college FA but a FA), looked really promising, got off to a good start, but never got a sniff.

Why would any young free agent choose Boston when that's how they conduct business?

Reactions: dangermike and TCB

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I worry that the Bruins have shot themselves in the foot with college free agents. They've shown they're one of the worst teams in the league at giving kids chances.

Ahcan has been NHL ready for years and is buried in the minors. McLaughlin has a great NHL debut, follows that with a great camp, gets buried in the minors... Even Wissman (not a college FA but a FA), looked really promising, got off to a good start, but never got a sniff.

Why would any young free agent choose Boston when that's how they conduct business?
By making players earn a shot?

Pretty deep lineup, gonna be tough to crack it. Those guys knew that when they signed here

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

I still think they'll grab a CHL kid and a couple of Loophole players, we'll see shortly when they release the Development Camp roster
Will you feel better if Riese Gaber is on that list?

Reactions: PlayMakers

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I still think they'll grab a CHL kid and a couple of Loophole players, we'll see shortly when they release the Development Camp roster
Will you feel better if Riese Gaber is on that list?
Not really. They’ve had lots of guys at Dev Camp that I really liked but they signed elsewhere. (Ben Meyers, Drew O’Connor...) I hope Gaber comes but I’m not going to be happy until we sign him or someone of that ilk.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
This is why you shouldn't listen to me,there's like 12 dudes I wanted to draft on that list

28 contracts. Time for Sweeney and Gold to get choppin' and horrify Moungenel with loads of fresh faces that aren't eligible for AARP benefits.

Have a look at Tyson Galloway for an AHL contract, with an eye for sending him to Portland. He could stay an overage year in the OHL, though, so who knows.

Justin Robidas is a midget and might require a real ELC. I'd certainly rather watch someone like him than Cousin Vinni (all respect, but he's probably passed his half life here). Robidas's Ramparts just savaged Kamloops last night in the Memorial Cup.

Cole Huckins should get a look if he'll sign an AHL deal. Big guys take time and all that.

I'd like to see them get Hache for Portland, as he seems like a good kid and he's from Manchvegas.

Gilmartin probably comes to nothing, but an AHL deal wouldn't be a huge risk.

Other guys are carrying the water for the Petes in the playoffs, but Connor Lockhart would certainly be worth an AHL deal, I'd think.

Dru Krebs is an interesting defenseman and I wouldn't be weeping to see him displace one of Providence's LDs.

ELC for Torey Krug sorry, I mean Axel Bergqvist.

Edmonton's made a living around being wrong about Finns for a while now, so Patrick Puistola might be worth a shot with an ELC. Only be a 2 year deal anyway.

The Bruins haven't drafted a player like Jayden Grubbe in decades, it seems. If he never moves past Providence, it'd still be worthwhile ELC signing.

Ben Rogers was massively overdrafted by the Sens, but NeelyNugs liked him. There are things to like, despite what is probably a washout of an OHL career to date. DT would know more than any of us.

And give Ryan McCleary an ELC offer. My kingdom for goal scoring defensemen.

IveGotToBeMe

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
RI
I don’t know how crazy/impossible this question is to answer but are there any stats that track the % of players invited to development camp that 1) remain with the original organization that invited them and b) make either an NHL or AHL roster with the original team that invited them?

I’m all for getting as many options as possible into development camp (higher odds of hitting on something) but would like to understand success rates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad