College Hockey College Free Agent talk II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I don’t know how crazy/impossible this question is to answer but are there any stats that track the % of players invited to development camp that 1) remain with the original organization that invited them and b) make either an NHL or AHL roster with the original team that invited them?

I’m all for getting as many options as possible into development camp (higher odds of hitting on something) but would like to understand success rates.
You're talking about outside guys invited to a team's dev camp, right? Undrafted guys?

I'm not sure how much value even knowing the hit rate for that would be. Success for undrafted/unsigned draftees is certainly something of interest, but I'm not sure what's added by narrowing it down to the player's first stop/invite.

IveGotToBeMe

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
RI
You're talking about outside guys invited to a team's dev camp, right? Undrafted guys?

I'm not sure how much value even knowing the hit rate for that would be. Success for undrafted/unsigned draftees is certainly something of interest, but I'm not sure what's added by narrowing it down to the player's first stop/invite.
Yes, just my probably useless curiosity

Reactions: BlackFrancis

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I don’t know how crazy/impossible this question is to answer but are there any stats that track the % of players invited to development camp that 1) remain with the original organization that invited them and b) make either an NHL or AHL roster with the original team that invited them?

I’m all for getting as many options as possible into development camp (higher odds of hitting on something) but would like to understand success rates.
Player's invited then signing with the same team has to be low, very low

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Almost time to close the book on the free agent class of 2023

Still unsigned from the NCAA master list
Spencer Meier
Bryan Yoon

Possible Loophole players
Jay O'Brien ( 1 year eligibility left Flyerspick)
Nick Leivermann ( No eligibility Colorado pick)
Tyler Weiss ( No eligibility Colorado pick)
John Farranacci ( 2 year's eligibility Arizona pick)
Robert Mastrosimone ( 1 year eligibility Detroit pick)
Slava Demin (No eligibility,Chicago pick)
Trevor Janicke (1 year eligibility Anaheim pick)
Carter Berger ( 1 year left Florida pick)

Euro's
Konstantin Okulov
Jerry Turkulainen

CHL/BCHL
Aiden De La Gorgendier
Avery Hayes
Ben Zloty
Brett Brochu
Connor McClennon (Flyers pick)
Jackson Berezowski
Josh Lawrence
Theo Rochette
Aiden Campbell
Sean McGurn
Anthony Costantini

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
I'm intrigued by Jack Beck who the Flames did not sign. He is the rare guy who put up points, can actually skate well and plays pretty well across all 200 ft from what i have read. Usually its points with bad or middling skating ability or an allergy to to the other end. Not sure why the Flames did not sign him...he's had some injuries and sounds like he needs a good 15 lbs of weight if his listed numbers are still accurate but a lot to work with overall. I read he had a nasty kidney injury from a hit that caused him to miss time and then missed another stretch after being hit high right after a goal...assume that was a concussion.

Dom or any of our OHL guys have any thoughts on why the Flames chose to pass? I imagine there will be healthy interest.

* I know this is the College free agent thread but didn't see one for CHL and it seemed like content was bleeding into already, which makes sense to me.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Or you could get @Gee Wally to edit the title.

I mean, all he does is sit around drinking margaritas and watching the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals on loop.

IMG_0717.gif

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I'm intrigued by Jack Beck who the Flames did not sign. He is the rare guy who put up points, can actually skate well and plays pretty well across all 200 ft from what i have read. Usually its points with bad or middling skating ability or an allergy to to the other end. Not sure why the Flames did not sign him...he's had some injuries and sounds like he needs a good 15 lbs of weight if his listed numbers are still accurate but a lot to work with overall. I read he had a nasty kidney injury from a hit that caused him to miss time and then missed another stretch after being hit high right after a goal...assume that was a concussion.

Dom or any of our OHL guys have any thoughts on why the Flames chose to pass? I imagine there will be healthy interest.

* I know this is the College free agent thread but didn't see one for CHL and it seemed like content was bleeding into already, which makes sense to me.

I am pretty sure Beck becomes a draft re-entry for 2023 and not a free agent. An example would be Adam Mascherin, drafted in 2016 by Florida and unsigned and re-entered the draft in 2018 and picked by Dallas. Both 20 years of age in their second drafts after re-entering.

I think with Beck, it's the same situation as the Bruins with Mantykivi. They both didn't add the necessary bulk from their draft years and their skating didn't improve as much as the teams would have liked for both being "smaller guys". Both excellent defensive forwards who could put up points in their respective leagues. But the (lack of) progression in those two areas aren't what the Flames and Bruins wanted to see, well....

Beck today weighs a whole 3 pounds more than he did when he was drafted.

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
I am pretty sure Beck becomes a draft re-entry for 2023 and not a free agent. An example would be Adam Mascherin, drafted in 2016 by Florida and unsigned and re-entered the draft in 2018 and picked by Dallas. Both 20 years of age in their second drafts after re-entering.

I think with Beck, it's the same situation as the Bruins with Mantykivi. They both didn't add the necessary bulk from their draft years and their skating didn't improve as much as the teams would have liked for both being "smaller guys". Both excellent defensive forwards who could put up points in their respective leagues. But the (lack of) progression in those two areas aren't what the Flames and Bruins wanted to see, well....

Beck today weighs a whole 3 pounds more than he did when he was drafted.
Appreciate the info, I thought I remembered reading his skating being considered an asset but maybe I misread or perhaps that scouting report was not in line with general consensus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad