Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA Pick - signed ELC 9/11

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
upload_2020-11-20_0-36-57.jpeg
upload_2020-11-20_0-36-57.jpeg

What I find interesting is who they pair Perfetti with. Maybe trying to rekindle some magic from last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Laf is on another level from the other prospects. He is guaranteed to be in the Rangers opening day lineup. Why would the Rangers risk injury?
Considering on the international hockey thread ppl thought kakko and Hughes would be released to play. Also Byram is there and a betting man would say he has a better chance of making an NHL lineup than laf. Also Suzuki is being on team Canada. So it’s weak sauce to not release laf.

Reactions: hn777 and DRC

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Considering on the international hockey thread ppl thought kakko and Hughes would be released to play. Also Byram is there and a betting man would say he has a better chance of making an NHL lineup than laf. Also Suzuki is being on team Canada. So it’s weak sauce to not release laf.
Has Kakko and Hughes been released?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Perfetti was never going to play C for Canada given the teams center depth. Sydney Crosby of all players played wing for Canada at the world juniors as well.

Him playing wing for Team Canada has no barring on where he will play for us. The plan is to develop him as a center so that is what they will do.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
There are never any guarantees in life but Perfetti has played centre (and wing) but says he prefers playing centre. Jets also have a gaping hole at Centre so my belief is he will be given every shot to fill that hole in the future. Time will tell I guess?
Perfetti was never going to play C for Canada given the teams center depth. Sydney Crosby of all players played wing for Canada at the world juniors as well.

Him playing wing for Team Canada has no barring on where he will play for us. The plan is to develop him as a center so that is what they will do.

I truly want to believe what you say because that is what I would hope the plan for Perfetti is.

However, when Maurice witnesses how he shreds apart other team’s defense with his IQ “as a winger” he will come up with every STUBBORN excuse to continue utilizing him as a winger.

Cole has stated he prefers centre, but Copp and Roslovic probably prefer centre too. They rarely get utilized there because Maurice likes their game on the wing better.

Copp got some centre looks out of team necessity more so than Maurice willing to change on his own.

Not disagreeing with you, but until I see Maurice actually do it, it’s just wishful thinking. Hopefully I am underestimating Maurice’s ability to adapt.

Reactions: Cypruss and Bigfish

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I truly want to believe what you say because that is what I would hope the plan for Perfetti is.

However, when Maurice witnesses how he shreds apart other team’s defense with his IQ “as a winger” he will come up with every STUBBORN excuse to continue utilizing him as a winger.

Cole has stated he prefers centre, but Copp and Roslovic probably prefer centre too. They rarely get utilized there because Maurice likes their game on the wing better.

Copp got some centre looks out of team necessity more so than Maurice willing to change on his own.

Not disagreeing with you, but until I see Maurice actually do it, it’s just wishful thinking. Hopefully I am underestimating Maurice’s ability to adapt.

Chevy has also stated he or didn't dispute that he was a center when brought up.

You better darn well believe that Maurice will be included in whatever plan they have for him. I would imagine Chevy has told him that having him develop into a center is their priority and Maurice will have been given the task to help devise a path to get there.

GMs get involved when it comes to the development of grade A players.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Two good examples you bring up to support your fear. I think Roslo provides the most cautionary tail. Despite his solid middle six talent Paul doesn’t trust him at 2nd line centre. To be fair to Paul Jack hasn’t kicked down the door in that role when given the shot.

Copp I think it’s more a case that Paul loves Copp Lowry together for a good reason and they are almost interchangeable positionally as a pair. Paul struggles breaking them up. Paul fully trusts Copp anywhere including Centre but he leans on him more in a tried and true way.

I have factored it into my obviously over the top homer bias towards my adopted Son Cole. I think Perfetti will be able to adapt enough to please PMo. Buff, Scheif, and Connor were all able to be so dam good offensively that Paul gave them a pass on their defensive short comings.

Now it might not happen right away but with the IQ and skill I do see Cole being up for the challenge especially once we consider the post Stastny gaping hole in our line up.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Sounds pretty excited to be drafted by Winnipeg now. Also speaks a bit about his training
Edit: all his interviews I've heard, he clearly knows what he has to work on and this interview being the most recent, he also knows he's not getting gifted a spot.

Thanks for this link. For those who don’t have the time for the long form If you start at about the 28:00 minute mark Perfetti discusses the fact he sees improving his skating as his #1 area of focus this off season. He is very aware that it is the key improvement he will need for the next level.

Its very refreshing to hear him acknowledge it and also mention skating mechanics and getting faster has been his main focus in training..

Last edited:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Says who?
says who?
seeing that, in 2020, a centre's the most coveted position one can draft (it's surpassed D)?
of course they try to develop him as a centre. if that does work in 1-2 years, he's a winger.

just like d-men used to be hockey players that sucked as forwards and, in football, a cornerback's just a receiver who doesn't have hands, a winger is a failed centre. :)

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
Oh lovely, look! The Jets passed up the dominant, two-way centre with size (Lundell) for yet another undersized winger.

Good draft pick, great job.

I like Lundell, and think he’ll be a solid to very good player, would have been fine if we’d taken him and delighted with his recent burner.

But CP is way more than another undersized winger. If he comes close to his potential he’s an Ehlers with stronger puck protection and play down low who can take face offs and QB a power play. If he hits that potential he’s closer to Point/Barzal with a better shot selection and a mean streak.

Still happy with the pick.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Perfetti has top line potential.

Some people, man. Must be tough being that cynical in life.

Not sure what you are referencing but I agree with your point. When we are picking in the top 10 and have a chance to swing for the fences then why pass it up?

Colorado was a good team with a great base that backed into a top #5 pick and got a chance to add Makar. There was real risk involved in that pick but they swung for the fences and landed a massive piece to their contending roster.

Perfetti is that kind of asset potentially and Jets are in the ideal spot to take that chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad