Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA Pick - signed ELC 9/11

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
This young man is making this team no doubt in my mind. After the world junior he will primed and ready to go.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
From everything I have heard Perfetti dropped because that cluster from 4-10 was loaded. Secondly, his skating and size provide a cautionary barrier. Rossi is a stud but he fell to #9 because the tier is loaded and he is a 5’9” centre and they don’t tend to thrive in the NHL.

I have never heard of character issues with Perfetti in fact I have heard the opposite in that he was some senior scouts favourite interview.

The only two first rounds picks we made that were accompanied by mild (unfounded) character rumblings were Vesalainen due to his interviews....and Laine because of the incident when he was 16.

Once again maybe I am wrong but I have heard scouts, his junior coach, and the Spirit GM all gush about Perfetti the person?

If there is a challenge it’s going to come from his skating/size IMO.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I would say he dropped because Quinn and Holtz were taken before him and weren't projected to.

Let's say for the sake of argument that he gets 8 or 9 games at center...who are his wingers?

KC Perfetti Ehlers?
KC Perfetti Wheeler?
KC Perfetti Laine?
Ehlers Perfetti Laine?
Ehlers PerfettiWheeler?
Knowing Maurice, probably none of the above. Something more like
Copper Perfetti Apples.

KC Perfetti Laine might be interesting for 8 games.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
From everything I have heard Perfetti dropped because that cluster from 4-10 was loaded. Secondly, his skating and size provide a cautionary barrier. Rossi is a stud but he fell to #9 because the tier is loaded and he is a 5’9” centre and they don’t tend to thrive in the NHL.

I have never heard of character issues with Perfetti in fact I have heard the opposite in that he was some senior scouts favourite interview.

The only two first rounds picks we made that were accompanied by mild (unfounded) character rumblings were Vesalainen due to his interviews....and Laine because of the incident when he was 16.

Once again maybe I am wrong but I have heard scouts, his junior coach, and the Spirit GM all gush about Perfetti the person?

If there is a challenge it’s going to come from his skating/size IMO.
Perfetti and Rossi dropped a bit because a couple of teams (NJ and Buffalo) really wanted RW goal scorers to complement their roster / prospects, and Sanderson rocketed up the board. I thought Perfetti and Rossi would go in the #7-8 range, with Drysdale and Sanderson going ahead of them. For me, the minor surprises were Holtz and Quinn going ahead of them, which suggested to me that those teams had an eye on position and role more than best player available.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I would say he dropped because Quinn and Holtz were taken before him and weren't projected to.

Let's say for the sake of argument that he gets 8 or 9 games at center...who are his wingers?

KC Perfetti Ehlers?
KC Perfetti Wheeler?
KC Perfetti Laine?
Ehlers Perfetti Laine?
Ehlers PerfettiWheeler?
Knowing Maurice, probably none of the above. Something more like
Copper Perfetti Apples.

KC Perfetti Laine might be interesting for 8 games.
KC-Perfetti-Laine will be interesting to watch if you are willing to trade a handful of HD chances for in exchange for a CF% in the 30% range. Even starting the kid at center in his first season as an 18 y/0 is a tough assignment, but to then but him with 2 wingers that struggle in their own end makes it near impossible. If you really wanted to see the kid at center you are probably best to play him with Copp and Ehlers. Copp can take on center responsibilities in our zone and Perfetti can play the middle from our blueline out, kind of like a P. Kane model. Ehlers can transition the puck for him so he doesn't have to carry it through the neutral zone as he is learning the league.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Chevy should have got something for Stastny. But those are less fireable offences than having a 4th line that plays 4-6 minutes a game. Breaking up the 2015 line.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not while there is COVID :p

He is Canadian, so he can. Just needs to self-isolate for 14 days. Might as well come straight to Wpg and do it. If he went home to Whitby Ont and did it there, he would need to do it again here. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah, it's definitely not a good thing, but it's also not worth getting upset about the Jets maybe losing him in 7+ years.

For all we know he'll bust, so let's wait until he's good before being paranoid.

Oh yeah, way to go, cheering me up about KO. He might bust and that will serve KO right. :laugh:

Honestly, knowing KO was his agent, I would have hesitated to take him. Not saying I wouldn't in the end, but it is a factor I'd consider.

Anton Lundell is looking very good in Liiga. Could probably play for us this year. We could have put the Stastny cap to work elsewhere.

Reactions: Bigfish

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I heard it from hfboards member lanky. The 10th post from the previous thread.

So honestly its not whispers its 1 whisper and a quiet one. And it's questioning his giver rather than overall character .Didnt think much of it at the time . But now that I know who his agent is, that whisper just got louder. I'm also wondering stronger now on why he dropped.

Add to that his interest in a coach who will allow him to be creative and play his own game .......

Not going to make a big thing out of this - yet. But I don't like it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Seems incredible given the mountain of articles, interviews and profiles dating back to his PeeWee days attesting to his smarts, application and dedication to charitable causes, his selection for the Academic POTY, the various notes from respected pundits and coaches describing him as bright, articulate, a terrific interview already at age 18, and also thoughtful and compassionate, committed to fairness and interested in social justice, etc, etc.

Incredible enough to be total BS. IMO, of course.

Thanks, picked me up a bit already.

This is the good news/positivity thread. :laugh:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Oh yeah, way to go, cheering me up about KO. He might bust and that will serve KO right. :laugh:

Honestly, knowing KO was his agent, I would have hesitated to take him. Not saying I wouldn't in the end, but it is a factor I'd consider.

Anton Lundell is looking very good in Liiga. Could probably play for us this year. We could have put the Stastny cap to work elsewhere.

KO isn't his agent. His agent is part of KO's agency though.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Meh people are overstating how well Lundell is playing. He plays on an explosive offensive team and is third in scoring on that team. He is scoring at slightly higher level then Vesalainen did in that league in his draft plus 1 year but has a lot more to work with.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Perfetti and Rossi dropped a bit because a couple of teams (NJ and Buffalo) really wanted RW goal scorers to complement their roster / prospects, and Sanderson rocketed up the board. I thought Perfetti and Rossi would go in the #7-8 range, with Drysdale and Sanderson going ahead of them. For me, the minor surprises were Holtz and Quinn going ahead of them, which suggested to me that those teams had an eye on position and role more than best player available.

Honestly that top 10 was stacked. I think Holtz and Quinn are really good prospects so neither of those picks were surprising especially Holtz to the Devils. I called that pick and think he is just what the doctor ordered for that team. I am just thrilled we ended up with my #4 choice.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Honestly that top 10 was stacked. I think Holtz and Quinn are really good prospects so neither of those picks were surprising especially Holtz to the Devils. I called that pick and think he is just what the doctor ordered for that team. I am just thrilled we ended up with my #4 choice.

Yeah he was top 5 for me along with Lafrenier, Byfield, Stutzle and Drysdale.

Reactions: KingBogo and ps241

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Chevy should have got something for Stastny. But those are less fireable offences than having a 4th line that plays 4-6 minutes a game. Breaking up the 2015 line.

I like how people have said this enough that it’s become a fact, even though it’s nowhere near reality.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes, we are all different...

KO is different as well...

And Cole is a smart young man...

And I recognize that difference...

He's no Trouba that's for sure...

;)

Anybody know what Trouba's high school grades were like? :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Should Perfetti wear #10?

With his play style and the circumstances of his draft selection, I think it would be fitting in some ways. On the other hand, might put too much pressure on him. Thoughts?

Hockey fans put about a million times too much importance on what number players wear. :laugh:

Reactions: FonRiesen and Neuf

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This young man is making this team no doubt in my mind. After the world junior he will primed and ready to go.

You could be right, but you are more likely a little premature. Wouldn't want to rush the kid. #10 OA picks don't very often make the NHL right out of the draft.

Mikko Rantanen is the top #10 who comes to my mind. He had to do 1 year in the AHL and then his first year in the NHL was only s0/s0. He took off in D+3.

Edit: Covid could make a difference here, if there is no place else for him to play.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Should Perfetti wear #10?

With his play style and the circumstances of his draft selection, I think it would be fitting in some ways. On the other hand, might put too much pressure on him. Thoughts?
I personally like him in #91.

And leaving #10 unofficially retired appeals to me too.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
KC-Perfetti-Laine will be interesting to watch if you are willing to trade a handful of HD chances for in exchange for a CF% in the 30% range. Even starting the kid at center in his first season as an 18 y/0 is a tough assignment, but to then but him with 2 wingers that struggle in their own end makes it near impossible. If you really wanted to see the kid at center you are probably best to play him with Copp and Ehlers. Copp can take on center responsibilities in our zone and Perfetti can play the middle from our blueline out, kind of like a P. Kane model. Ehlers can transition the puck for him so he doesn't have to carry it through the neutral zone as he is learning the league.

That is what I see as well. You have Copp take the dzone faceoffs and you station Perfetti up high like what the Pens used to do with Crosby. You look to gradually transition the defensive center responsibilities to Cole as he gets comfortable and gains experience.

I would be letting Cole take all offensive and and neutral zone faceoffs.

Reactions: KingBogo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad