Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA Pick - signed ELC 9/11

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I heard it from hfboards member lanky. The 10th post from the previous thread.

So honestly its not whispers its 1 whisper and a quiet one. And it's questioning his giver rather than overall character .Didnt think much of it at the time . But now that I know who his agent is, that whisper just got louder. I'm also wondering stronger now on why he dropped.
Will Scouching says basically the same thing. That he tunes out when it's time to play defence. It's a concern, but honestly, if ther3's one thing you can count on Maurice for, it's awesome post-game quotes. If you can count on him for one more thing, it's that he'll force young offensive stars to play defence whether they should or not.

I'm also not a huge fan of Perfetti's comment about what kind of coaching works for him. He appears to have rolled his eyes at one of the interviewers in his post-signing zoom call with the local press.

There might be something to the idea that he's got an attitude, but as long as he can get along with his teammates and his coaches, I don't actually care. The talent is undeniable and the kid seems to have motivation bursting out of every pore.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Will Scouching says basically the same thing. That he tunes out when it's time to play defence. It's a concern, but honestly, if ther3's one thing you can count on Maurice for, it's awesome post-game quotes. If you can count on him for one more thing, it's that he'll force young offensive stars to play defence whether they should or not.

I'm also not a huge fan of Perfetti's comment about what kind of coaching works for him. He appears to have rolled his eyes at one of the interviewers in his post-signing zoom call with the local press.

There might be something to the idea that he's got an attitude, but as long as he can get along with his teammates and his coaches, I don't actually care. The talent is undeniable and the kid seems to have motivation bursting out of every pore.

I mean Scouching made that defensive comment about almost every top offensive player he looked at including Lafrenier. I think its much to do about nothing as a good many top offensive players in the CHL aren't as dialed in as they need to be in their own end all the time. I personally think he was just trying to add some balance to his viewings on the top prospects so that he didn't appear to just be praising them on everything.

He also said that Perfetti was a quality two/way player outside of the couple of lapses so I don't see it as a big issue.

I actually found his comments on coaching refreshing. He is an intelligent person and believes that players should have more latitude on the ice to make decisions. I don't think he is at all wrong here either, I think the best coaches like Cooper put in place a system and then leave it to the players to make the call on what the best play is at any particular point in time. If the situation calls for a chip then chip the puck in and forecheck, but if there is room carry the puck in then the player should be allowed to make that call without repercussions from the coach. In Maurice we have a coach that wants his bottom 6 to chip it in and get on the forecheck most of the time. Imo that is outdated coaching as the chip in isn't always the optimum play. It should be less about roles and more about allowing players to play their own games as long as it fits within the confines of the system.

Perfetti is a demon down lown and off the cycle so imo he won't have any problems with Maurice here. Maurice will also probably love him due to his knack on the cycle and his proficiency of making very smart decisions with the puck in the nz. I don't imagine that it will take him long to work his way into the Maurice circle ala Conner.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
With Perfetti I have not heard any issues of attitude in fact I had heard the opposite but who knows?

Although it would be great if he dug in more consistently on defence it’s pretty common for the top scoring talent to be focused on scoring especially when they are dominant like Cole was last season. Our own Kyle Connor didn’t really defend much at Michigan when I watched him in his D+1 season. Ducky took allot of friendly ribbing for his lack of Defence. Hell I even remember Suzuki getting criticized by several Scouts in the Black Book for not showing up every game in his draft year.

When I watch the shift by shift videos of Perfetti I see a kid that is ok at defence but has room to grow.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
With Perfetti I have not heard any issues of attitude in fact I had heard the opposite but who knows?

Although it would be great if he dug in more consistently on defence it’s pretty common for the top scoring talent to be focused on scoring especially when they are dominant like Cole was last season. Our own Kyle Connor didn’t really defend much at Michigan when I watched him in his D+1 season. Ducky took allot of friendly ribbing for his lack of Defence. Hell I even remember Suzuki getting criticized by several Scouts in the Black Book for not showing up every game in his draft year.

When I watch the shift by shift videos of Perfetti I see a kid that is ok at defence but has room to grow.

Pretty much describes most top scorers in the CHL. Scheifele was very much the same at the same age.

I personally see a similar development plan for Cole as for Mark except I see Cole making it one year quicker.

Imo Cole will be back in junior (Provided there is an OHL season) for this season before making the Jets in 2021/2022. He will be started like Scheifele was at center on a two-way third line behind a stop gap 2C like Stastney. He like Mark will be given the opportunity to supplant that player throughout the year.

It took Mark about 35 games to supplant Jokinen and I would expect it will take similar for Perfetti so supplant Stastney/whoever is playing in that spot.

Reactions: ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Pretty much describes most top scorers in the CHL. Scheifele was very much the same at the same age.

I personally see a similar development plan for Cole as for Mark except I see Cole making it one year quicker.

Imo Cole will be back in junior (Provided there is an OHL season) for this season before making the Jets in 2021/2022. He will be started like Scheifele was at center on a two-way third line behind a stop gap 2C like Stastney. He like Mark will be given the opportunity to supplant that player throughout the year.

It took Mark about 35 games to supplant Jokinen and I would expect it will take similar for Perfetti so supplant Stastney/whoever is playing in that spot.

Good post.

With Covid it’s so hard for me to get a read on it all but I tend to agree Perfetti is at least one season ahead of Scheifele at the same age. The interesting thing is Mark never really dominated like Perfetti did last season during his time with the Colts. If the OHL is a go I do see Cole spending one more year there. If the OHL is not a go then I have no idea what the Jets have planned as a contingency for Perfetti?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Good post.

With Covid it’s so hard for me to get a read on it all but I tend to agree Perfetti is at least one season ahead of Scheifele at the same age. The interesting thing is Mark never really dominated like Perfetti did last season during his time with the Colts. If the OHL is a go I do see Cole spending one more year there. If the OHL is not a go then I have no idea what the Jets have planned as a contingency for Perfetti?

Mark showed that level of dominance in his final playoffs in the OHL where he was by far and away the best player that year but other then that yeah Cole has a shown a much more consistent level of dominance at a much younger age.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Mark showed that level of dominance in his final playoffs in the OHL where he was by far and away the best player that year but other then that yeah Cole has a shown a much more consistent level of dominance at a much younger age.

It’s a fair point that Mark’s last playoffs he reached that level where he was dominant much like Perfetti was after December last season in Saginaw.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Just to clarify, his agent is Cam Stewart (ex NHL player) who works for KO Sports. Stewart has been advising him since his minor midget days prior to the OHL draft.

Founder & CEO - KO Sports
Kurt Overhardt
kurt.jpg

Cam Stewart is the original birddog, but works for Uber'...

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I think I said in my post just that, that Stewart works for KO Sports (Kurt Overhart Sports).

Perfetti agent is Cam Stewart, as per the player and as posted in Rink Net.

Yes and I thank you for bringing it to the fore...

But some persons are acronym challenged... KO being an acronym for Kurt Overhardt...

Obvious to You and Me... but not to some...

And also... I listen to My boss... and respect My boss... and I am more than apt to consult him if I have any doubts or just to be sure of My objectives and approaches...

I am sure Cam understands what I understand...

I'm just bringing that to the fore...

:popcorn:

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Yes and I thank you for bringing it to the fore...

But some persons are acronym challenged... KO being an acronym for Kurt Overhardt...

Obvious to You and Me... but not to some...

And also... I listen to My boss... and respect My boss... and I am more than apt to consult him if I have any doubts or just to be sure of My objectives and approaches...

I am sure Cam understands what I understand...

I'm just bringing that to the fore...

:popcorn:

The boss in any relationship between an agent and a player is always the player. The agent works for the player, not the other way around. The player calls the shots, and the agency executes on it.

If a player says get a deal done, thats what the agent will do. If the players says he wants out, the agent will try to make that happen. If an agent is not doing what the player wants, he will be terminated.

I understand the history of KO and Winnipeg, but every player is different. The fact that his actual agent is Stewart and he has been with him for years makes me believe that this a non issue.

Last edited:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The boss in any relationship between an agent and a player is always the player. The agent works for the player, not the other way around. The player calls the shots, and the agency executes on it.

If a player says get a deal done, that's what the agent will do. If the players says he wants out, the agent will try to make that happen. If an agent is not doing what the player wants, he will be terminated.

I understand the history of KO and Winnipeg, but every player is different. The fact that his actual agent is Stewart and he has been with him for years makes me believe that this a non issue.

Yes, we are all different...

KO is different as well...

And Cole is a smart young man...

And I recognize that difference...

He's no Trouba that's for sure...

;)

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
With an OHL season less than guaranteed, would we consider keeping Perfetti with the club if there were no 20-21 for him in Saginaw?

Same question but how about in the case that the league allows an expanded roster?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
With an OHL season less than guaranteed, would we consider keeping Perfetti with the club if there were no 20-21 for him in Saginaw?

Same question but how about in the case that the league allows an expanded roster?

They will likely have a contingency plan for him in the event the OHL can't go. What that is I don't know, it may involve him staying up with us or getting loaned to Europe.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Should Perfetti wear #10?

With his play style and the circumstances of his draft selection, I think it would be fitting in some ways. On the other hand, might put too much pressure on him. Thoughts?

Whileee

May 29, 2010

With his play style and the circumstances of his draft selection, I think it would be fitting in some ways. On the other hand, might put too much pressure on him. Thoughts?
Maybe Heinola should give him #14... same as one of the best centers in Jets' history.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

I don't think the number on his jersey will affect how he plays. If that's too much pressure then what pressure could he take?

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
Watched the game shift by shift Perfetti against Erie otters. 01/02/2020.

Perfetti seemed to have an edge this game. He was in others grill a little was physical and one shift just dominated the play as he appeared to be a little pissed off.

Really like his game when he plays with a little edge

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I have heard whispers about Cole's character being in question. Him slipping in the draft and now this has me concerned. So my fellow board members please tell me I'm wrong, being premature and illogical. It will make me feel better.:help:

Wasn't the whole point of this pick though that he fell in the draft for some reason (maybe other teams didn't like something) but we snagged him because he has the potential to be amazing? If there was nothing wrong he might have gone in the top 5.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Regarding Cole's character questions: I think he might be one of those cases of being a little bit too smart for his own sake. There is one thing that every scout seems to agree one: Cole is incredibly smart for his age. His school grades seem to absolutely underline it. So what often seems to be a bit of a problem attitude wise with those people? They sometimes tend to have a problem accepting authoritive decisions because they think they know better. They might even do know better but, especially in pro sports, sometimes it doesn't matter - all that matters ist what the coach/GM/authority says.

Just throwing it out there as an idea because it makes sense to me. He might be hard to coach sometimes Just BECAUSE he is that intelligent.

I'm watching a re-run of Malcolm In The Middle latetly which is on Amazon Prime Video. And there is that one episode in season 4 in which Malcolm ist trying to make the high school basketball team but him being over-intelligent hinders him for his own good because he can't accept the bad decisions his high school coach ist making.

Again, just an idea... This kind of thing would be something people would have a hard time to openly talk about as well. What are you supposed to say? "The kid has issues.. He was smarter than me and therefore didn't accept my bad decision." ... Nobody would come Out and say that because it makes your own sake look bad. But it would be communicated in him having some kind of character issues of some kind that swirms around... But nothing particular about what and why

His comments about coaches that play an outdated game of Hockey in his eyes fit as well, I'd argue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad