Cole Caufield turning into a legit superstar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Saw this a long time ago. Kid is going to be a stud in the league for a long long time. I always still say, i’m SO glad the division rival Flyers passed on him when they were up in the draft.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
For those who mentioned Caufield's 'high' shooting %, his 16.7 SH% is the lowest among the current top-10 goal scorers. Of the top-30 scorers, Caufield's SH% is the 7th lowest.

If his shooting is due to regress, so is almost everyone else in the top tier.

I don't think you understand the difference between SH% and OISH%.

On ice shooting percentage is the shooting percentage of the entire team when Caufield is on the ice.

So it basically states that every time Caufield is on the ice, no matter who else is on the ice with him, opposing NHL goalies suddenly become the worst goalies ever and have a SV% of 0.833.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
He's the new Brian Savage.
He had a good October but he's no Mr. October like Brian was.

Savage's 1st October he had 11G in 11 games.. Caulfield had 0G in 10 October games last year and only 7 in 11 this year. Savage's rep is intact

Savage over his career had 43G in 81 October games. So he was a 43G guy in October and barely a 20G scorer the rest of the year

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

On ice shooting percentage is the shooting percentage of the entire team when Caufield is on the ice.

So it basically states that every time Caufield is on the ice, no matter who else is on the ice with him, opposing NHL goalies suddenly become the worst goalies ever and have a SV% of 0.833.
I was responding to those who brought up his SH%.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009

But who is taking the shots (that go in) that lead to that save%. It is Caulfield and Suzuki. Caulfield has been on the ice for 20 GF in all situations and he has been on for 130 shots for. That gives me a sav % of .846 but close enough to your .833. Caulfield has 8 of those goal on 48 shots. Suzuki has 8 G pretty sure Caulfield was on the ice for all except maybe the penalty shot one. he has 31 shots so 7G on 30 shots that Caulfield is on ice for.
they combine for 15 of the 20GF caulfield has been on for on a combined 78 shots. the other 5 goals are by Dach 2, anderson 1, Guhle a Pp and not sure where the last one is but 5 G on the remaining 52 shots (130-78) so the other guys have an OISH% all situations incl PPlay of 5/52 9.6% with goalies having a .904 save %.

It's Caulfield and Suzuki driving that shooting percentage, ignoring the penalty shot Suzuki is 7/30 or 23.3%. Is it sustainable? probably not but how much impact is having Caulfield as the shooter on that line helping Suzuki's shooting percentage? Suzuki does not shoot much goalies cheating a bit on the expected pass to CC will inflate Suzuki's %

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
Excited for Habs fans to have such a good young line but superstar is a stretch right now. Is Patrick Laine a superstar? His numbers at the same point were much better. He is trending towards being a star at this point but I would slow your roll beyond that. Fun to watch though.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Caufield has a fantastic shot, but he's also a defensive liability.

He's not the best, but he can handle himself.

And we know what we are talking about, we have also Hoffman on the team, so we can spot but defensive forward when we see one lol

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I agree with you to a degree. 14.3% is absurdly high for 5v5 shooting percentage so I would expect it to start to level out. However, if you're in the camp that Cole has an elite shot (I think he does)- it wouldn't surprise me for him to have several seasons where he significantly (+4-8%) outperforms his expected shooting percentage. Most snipers do. Just look at Stamkos, Laine, Ovechkin, Matthews, Pastrnak etc.

View attachment 604536

Something to keep in mind when you see Stamkos far exceeding his expected shooting % so often is that part of that can be attributed to a know flaw in expected goals. One-timers have the highest expected shooting percentage of any shot type but they are not tracked separately by the NHL, rather they are lumped in with slap shots that have a considerably lower expected shooting percentage.

This means that players who take a lot of one-timers should really have a higher expected shooting % that the stat says. This doesn't fully explain Stamkos, his sh% is still freakishly high throughout his career, but just because one player can do it doesn't mean every you player that comes along shooting the lights out will maintain that elevated sh%, most of the time they regress to something more typical for a goal scorer.

Reactions: Colezuki

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Caufield ranks #298/324 in high danger chances per 60 while Suzuki ranks #319/324. (that's 5v5 on ice, not individual) Forget 16%, 8% is going to be unsustainable when your line are this bad at producing high danger chances.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
Caufield ranks #298/324 in high danger chances per 60 while Suzuki ranks #319/324. (that's 5v5 on ice, not individual) Forget 16%, 8% is going to be unsustainable when your line are this bad at producing high danger chances.
Are you saying Suzuki/Caufield line is bad? This is not what I saw from seeing them play together. Suzuki/Caufield duo has been dynamic and dangerous thus far.

Reactions: viceroy

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
That’s ridiculous.. he’s about to turn into the best Montreal winger since Guy Lafleur
It sounds ridiculous, but Montreal has a strange 'recent' history' with scoring wingers.

Like, to do so he basically needs to top Mats Naslund for brief periods, Recchi and LeClair (but not when either were at their best) and Kovalev.

Even when they have been good it's been built around D and goal tending. So what sounds insane "Is he comparing him to one of the all time greats?" Is just reflective of how Montreal has basically had Nashville quality forwards for about 40 years.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
It sounds ridiculous, but Montreal has a strange 'recent' history' with scoring wingers.

Like, to do so he basically needs to top Mats Naslund for brief periods, Recchi and LeClair (but not when either were at their best) and Kovalev.
What about Damphousse?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Are you saying Suzuki/Caufield line is bad? This is not what I saw from seeing them play together. Suzuki/Caufield duo has been dynamic and dangerous thus far.

Have you considered that perhaps your eyes have been blinded by the Habs jersey?

The other team generates 2x the amount of high danger chances than the Habs when Caufield/Suzuki is on the ice at 5on5

Caufield
For = 21
Against = 41

Suzuki
For = 16
Against = 40

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
For those who mentioned Caufield's 'high' shooting %, his 16.7 SH% is the lowest among the current top-10 goal scorers. Of the top-30 scorers, Caufield's SH% is the 7th lowest.

If his shooting is due to regress, so is almost everyone else in the top tier.
There is a difference between on ice sh% and player's shooting %.

Cole is going to be top tier offensively, but they need better from that top line defensively.

Have you considered that perhaps your eyes have been blinded by the Habs jersey?

The other team generates 2x the amount of high danger chances than the Habs when Caufield/Suzuki is on the ice at 5on5

Caufield
For = 21
Against = 41

Suzuki
For = 16
Against = 40
SuZuKi iS bErGeRoN 2.0

I don't think Patrice even finishes a game in negative scoring chances, let alone being at 35% over 14gp lol.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
If only the season was played from. February 10th until November 7th with 2.5 months of nothing in the middle of it.
Well so far this season he's tied for 16th in goals but that doesn't count either i guess.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Ah yes Montreal fans and overrating their players, remember when Drouin was a #1 Center and Tampa was using him wrong or Nick Suzuki was guaranteed to be a PPG player in his second year because "just watch him".
Ya remember when Haters said Suzuki had the worst contract in the league. Well he's in his first yr of that terrible contract and has 17 pts in 14 games. You should try watching them both. You post is kind of :laugh:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Nobody expects Nick to finish with 50 goals, his shooting percentage will go down. Hell finish with 35-ish.

Nobody expects Caufield to finish the year with 60 assists.

Nobody expects Dach to finish the season with 80 points.

That has no relation to
A) Goal Goalfielda goalscoring
B) Dick Suzukis playmaking

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

Good thing that Caufield has nothing to do with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad