Cole Caufield turning into a legit superstar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Lets see him actually hit 35+ goals and 60+ points in a full season before saying hes turning into one. Not 50 games spread out over two seasons.

I think the point of such a thread is to identify players before they become superstars, kinda the fun of speculating and trying to extrapolate from the eye test and other metrics in small sample size.

After a full season or two of producing at an elite rate its not gonna be a debate or discussion is it ?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Seems like the lesson was not learned when posters were writing cole off as a bust just a few months ago.

It was too early to write him off then, just like it's too early to declare him a superstar now.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
If only the season was played from. February 10th until November 7th with 2.5 months of nothing in the middle of it.

That's from the coaching change onward. Coaching changes are normally an even bigger deal than just an off-season.

I'll say this. He is already better than Marner .

All kidding aside who'd you rather have on your team during the playoffs?

The eye test revealed that before he even joined the league. But my "we can't have nice things offensively in mtl " complex compels me to not get too excited.

Becoming the best winger in mtl since Lafleur isn't as great a feat as some might think.

Better than Richer or Kovalev? That'd be crazy.

It's just kinda strange that when Caufield legit had a super cold streak earlier Habs fans pointed out all of his advanced stats and how unsustainable it was and that he was going to start scoring a lot more soon. Now that he's on a similarly unsustainable hot streak they ignore the advanced stats and just talk about how much he's scoring.

I've noticed shooting percentages are often paired with on-ice confidence, swagger if you will and right now Cole looks very confident on ice as does Suzuki.

If people were not looking at stat sheets, he wouldn't even be a topic of discussion right now.

Well not sure if you know this but a lot of us Habs fans are watching the games and can literally see with our own two eyes this kid. He hustles, he's elusive, he finds his spot and doesn't hesitate to shoot.

Nazlund , Richer and Koveliv are the best winners since guy.

Why'd you spell those names that way? Passive aggressive much?

Savage over his career had 43G in 81 October games. So he was a 43G guy in October and barely a 20G scorer the rest of the year.

Shhhh... Brian Savage is known to be a lurker on this site.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think the point of such a thread is to identify players before they become superstars, kinda the fun of speculating and trying to extrapolate from the eye test and other metrics in small sample size.

After a full season or two of producing at an elite rate its not gonna be a debate or discussion is it ?

It depends. I think most players have a gradual progression during which you easily see them making the transition/showing signs of their development. Kucherov for example had a couple 60 point seasons, improved to 85 and then hit 100 the next season, firmly entering the superstar discussion.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
It depends. I think most players have a gradual progression during which you easily see them making the transition/showing signs of their development. Kucherov for example had a couple 60 point seasons, improved to 85 and then hit 100 the next season, firmly entering the superstar discussion.

Yeah, and some do earlier or pop off from nowhere. From watching him in the playoffs in his first season it was apparent that, while not ready yet, caufield was gonna become a stud.

His goalscoring ability being his main weapon, I feel a lot of people tend to underestimate his vision. It allows him to thrive despite his size by being elusive, and he is a very good playmaker - without his vision and playmaking ability he would have been pretty bad during that playoff run.

More than anything though, I think he's got the drive and passion to be better than anyone. I think 30-35 goals, 60 pts are gonna be this year and then he'll be a consistent 40 goalscoring threat with a peak of about 50+ if the stars align

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
His shooting % looks unsustainable to me, at least at 5v5 where he's close to 19%. If you look at 5v5 unblocked shot attempts he's sitting at 14.3% while his expected shooting percentage is only 6.8%.
His career shooting percentage is 13. He's just a really accurate shooter

Reactions: Toene

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah, and some do earlier or pop off from nowhere. From watching him in the playoffs in his first season it was apparent that, while not ready yet, caufield was gonna become a stud.

His goalscoring ability being his main weapon, I feel a lot of people tend to underestimate his vision. It allows him to thrive despite his size by being elusive, and he is a very good playmaker - without his vision and playmaking ability he would have been pretty bad during that playoff run.

More than anything though, I think he's got the drive and passion to be better than anyone. I think 30-35 goals, 60 pts are gonna be this year and then he'll be a consistent 40 goalscoring threat with a peak of about 50+ if the stars align
It would take major regression to have merely 30/30

Reactions: abo9

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
His career shooting percentage is 13. He's just a really accurate shooter

There isn't anything special about his shooting % in past years. Eg last year his expected FSh% was 6.6% and he shot 8.38%. This year his xFSh% is 6.43 but his actual FSh% is 16.22%.

1668222555002.png

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Already watched them both do nothing in your fluke finals. Don't need to watch non playoff teams getting lucky early in the season thanks.
lol you're clinging desperately to absolutely no credibility. Both players at such a young age have already done more come playoff time than say...2 superstars such as Marner and Matthews.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
So... who coached the Canadiens in 20-21 when you guys were praising him after 10 regular season games and 20 playoff games?
He actually only scored 1 goal in 14 games under Ducharme in the playoffs, and Ducharme scratched him in the first 2 games out of lack of confidence in him.

He scored 3 goals in the 6 games Ducharme was out with covid protocol while Richardson was coaching, and those games were his coming out party, and he took a step back when Ducharme took the reins again.

He's at combined career of 6 goals in 54 games with Ducharme &
33 goals in 57 games with other coaches.

So, there is actually some merit to the Habs fans 'Ducharme was holding back Caufield theory' and a rather large sample size to back it up.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
The term superstar is grossly overused, there's like only a handful in the entire league. Star yes, superstar is sustained elite play over a number of years. Jonathan CheeChoo wasn't a superstar because he scored 50 once and he actually did, let's see if Caufield can get there and then continue it. I hope he can.

FliegerKorps

May 10, 2018
Yes that is a terrible take. Even as a diehard habs fan he's nowhere near a super star. Let's start using correct adjectives for players like him (I would put Suzuki in the same sentence AND potentially Guhle if he sustains his current level of play)

They are special players.

Special as in they tilt the game their way when their unique skills are properly used. Caufield has the shot and positioning. Suzuki has the IQ and Guhle has the quaterback feeling (albeit not on the PP somehow)

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
Cauf's defense is irrelevant if he always has the puck. For those that don't consider him a superstar yet, you will in the next 36 months.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Have you considered that perhaps your eyes have been blinded by the Habs jersey?

The other team generates 2x the amount of high danger chances than the Habs when Caufield/Suzuki is on the ice at 5on5

Caufield
For = 21
Against = 41

Suzuki
For = 16
Against = 40
Pretty much this, CC is back on track to becoming what the Habs hoped when they drafted him a 35 goal 65-70 point guy but he still has to do it over a whole season and that level isn't superstar by any means.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
He's looking talented and good, but... "superstar"?

At any given time, there are maybe 5-6 superstars in hockey. So, let's not go overboard.

He's been playing like a 1st-line forward for 15 games. Might be a tad early to call him the best Habs' winger since Guy Lafleur. (Are we all forgetting Stephane Richer's multiple 50-goal seasons? Mats Naslund?)

Anyway, I'm glad Habs' fans have some offensive talent to cheer for, finally.

Reactions: barbu and Heldig

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
He's looking talented and good, but... "superstar"?

At any given time, there are maybe 5-6 superstars in hockey. So, let's not go overboard.

He's been playing like a 1st-line forward for 15 games. Might be a tad early to call him the best Habs' winger since Guy Lafleur. (Are we all forgetting Stephane Richer's multiple 50-goal seasons? Mats Naslund?)

Anyway, I'm glad Habs' fans have some offensive talent to cheer for, finally.

His charisma is what it's about.

Richer was damn good though, I went a little overboard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad