Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Nathan MacKinnon re-signs (7 years, $6.3M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Some people are down on Mack because of his lack of jump in production, but I still think the kids going to be a beast. I'd be very happy with this deal as a Colorado fan. Might not look like a steal for a year or 2, but it definitely should be one.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
bwH4k8uKSSE0P4bu5jQ0_Michael%20Bay%20Touchdown.gif

So happy.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
A lot of money for a guy who hasn't done much since his rookie season

Overrated

This deal is all about his potential. He's already proven he's a 50-60 point center. The going rate for those types of players is around 6 a year. If he takes the next step into that elite category, which is extremely possible, this will be a good deal. If he maxes out around Duchenes level, than 6.3 isn't that far off market value anyways. All in all great deal IMO.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Great deal for the Avs Mackinnon is a beast! one of my favourite players in the league

bloudy

Feb 12, 2015
East Vancouver
I understand that he is only 20, so this is a great deal if he indeed does have another gear. Personally, I'm questioning the "if". But hopefully for Avs fans, he finds it. Overall, a decent calculated risk.

Wrath

Jan 13, 2012
Was expecting 7-8M, I'm happy with it.

Quiet offseason for the Avs so far, but that's not always a bad thing.

Time to take care of Barrie and shore up the D-corp.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I understand that he is only 20, so this is a great deal if he indeed does have another gear. Personally, I'm questioning the "if". But hopefully for Avs fans, he finds it. Overall, a decent calculated risk.

All long term contracts are calculated risks. MacK is 20 and is producing like a top 3 forward already. This is a fine contract for him.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Wow, can't be good news for Flames trying to sign Monahan and Gaudreau. If they are able to get that pair for less than 14M that would be very good at this point.

Great signing though.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
That's a big deal for a guy who hasn't taken the next step since his rookie year

Yeah Colorado's forward development is screwy. None of Landeskog/Duchene/MacKinnon took a big step after having a good rookie season. Duchene did somewhat but that was just because he wasn't as physically mature and would get knocked off the puck in his first season. O'Reilly did to some extent but that was also very much physical maturation and shining with more TOI.

There hasn't been anyone in the organization to coach these guys on actual offense or develop their skill.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Wow, can't be good news for Flames trying to sign Monahan and Gaudreau. If they are able to get that pair for less than 14M that would be very good at this point.

Great signing though.

Why would this not be good news? Those guys are going to get paid fairly regardless.

Calgary isn't going to convince them to accept a lowball offer.

Gaudreau deserves at least $7 and Monahan deserves at least $6

As you said, if they can get them both locked up for $14 or under, they should be ecstatic.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah Colorado's forward development is screwy. None of Landeskog/Duchene/MacKinnon took a big step after having a good rookie season. Duchene did somewhat but that was just because he wasn't as physically mature and would get knocked off the puck in his first season. O'Reilly did to some extent but that was also very much physical maturation and shining with more TOI.

There hasn't been anyone in the organization to coach these guys on actual offense or develop their skill.

They need to can Roy, as painful as that is for me to say considering he is quite easily my all-time favorite goaltender.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Good for the Av's. Franchise player locked up for a long time

Exactly. That's the point that's getting missed by those who say he hasn't taken the next step. Regardless of that fact he is still the Avs FRANCHISE PLAYER. If he has gone into a bridge deal there would be far more comments about playing with fire and not committing to their players. I even feared a 5 year deal is what they may have to settle on. When Landeskog got his 7 year deal out of his ELC when he was just recovering from a concussion some folks called it crazy, now it's the best deal the Avs have on the books. This will either look fine down the line or amazing but the Avs won't be chastised for screwing around with their most important player.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Any one that watches Mack play knows that he's going to score a heap load of points in the years to come. His speed and passing ability are top tier. If his lines mates were better at finishing this contract would be much higher (So it was almost a good thing?). Speaking of finishing, that is one area he too needs to work on. I remember many times this season where he had individual chances and failed to score. It doesn't worry me though. This Kid knows how to play the game and will definitely be making an insane amount of money when his next contract comes around.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
It's actually slightly concerning. A majority of the truly elite offensive talent peaks almost immediately. Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Ovi, etc. were basically top 5 scorers by their second years. That's not saying he isn't going to be great, or worth the contract. But it's already looking like he's never going to be that "top 5" center everything seems to think he was going to be. If history is any indication at all, that ship has likely sailed.

Was Seguin like that in Boston? I think MacKinnon has so many opportunities ahead of him to make a big splash, the freakin kid's a 20 year old

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad