Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Nathan MacKinnon re-signs (7 years, $6.3M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Is it? Might be a good deal down the road but what has he proven to earn a deal like that?

What's the worst scenario here? He maxes out at Duchene's level? Proportionally to the cap when each player signed, this is less than what RNH got if I am not mistaken. What had he proven to earn a deal like that? This is a fantastic signing.

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
Wow. Pretty close to the Schiefele contract and MacKinnon has a far higher ceiling.

Really good deal for the Avs.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
What's the worst scenario here? He maxes out at Duchene's level? Proportionally to the cap when each player signed, this is less than what RNH got if I am not mistaken. What had he proven to earn a deal like that? This is a fantastic signing.

I would say the worst case scenario would actually be RNH(who makes 6M FYI), where the 50 point center he is at 20... is actually just what he is as a player.

That being said, even if that is what he is, this price is fine.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Good deal, for Avs sake hopefully he puts it all together soon, or they fire Roy. The two may be co-related.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Is it? Might be a good deal down the road but what has he proven to earn a deal like that? 38 pts and 52 points the last 2 seasons, am I missing something?

MacKinnon has regressed since his rookie season. If he keeps on this trend of getting worse he'll be another RNH. Poor move by the Aves.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

I get it, trust me, I get it as an Oiler fan. However, this is almost entirely potential based. A lot of it is based on draft pedigree and his rookie season.

As I said, I'm sure it will be a good deal eventually but he's not a $6.3M player now.
FTR, I was a bit skeptical of RNH's deal at the time of signing also.

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
I get it, trust me, I get it as an Oiler fan. However, this is almost entirely potential based. A lot of it is based on draft pedigree and his rookie season.

As I said, I'm sure it will be a good deal eventually but he's not a $6.3M player now.

How do you feel about the Schiefele contract?

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

No, worst case is he's already maxed out and is in a regression. Might plateau as a Parenteau type.

RNH got 6x6, pretty comparable deal. I don't think this is a bad contract for Colorado by any stretch, probably a really good one in the end.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

As I said, I'm sure it will be a good deal eventually but he's not a $6.3M player now. FTR, I was a bit skeptical of RNH's deal at the time of signing also.

How is this potential based?

We just saw players who are worse then Mackinnon right now(Backes, Ladd, Okposo) sign contract for $6M.

At the absolute worse case scenario, this is a fair contract for Mackinnon. If he takes even just 1 step forward and becomes a 60-65 point player this is a steal of a contract.

And if he reaches his full potential(A Top 5 center in the game) this is probably the best contract in the league for the last 4 years.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014

And to get back with the proven thing.. Have you seen him in playoffs damn he was outstanding which RNH isn't yet* :laugh:

twostroke27

Oct 12, 2011

You're right. The best play would have been to do a bridge deal and have it cost the avs significantly more if he breaks out soon.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

This seems like the going rate for 60 point players these days, and MacKinnon if not injured was on pace for 59.2 points this past year. Add in it was his first real year where he was put at centre and kept there, and I think he can easily, at worst, maintain that ability. He only needs to take a small jump forward to be worth this money, and the potential is there for a really big one. Considering the Avs bridged Duchene, ROR, and Barrie, possibly screwing up two of them, I'm delighted they got MacK signed long term.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I would say the worst case scenario would actually be RNH(who makes 6M FYI), where the 50 point center he is at 20... is actually just what he is as a player.

That being said, even if that is what he is, this price is fine.

And it took an injury to his wrist/hand after the best 30-35 games of his career, + missing the final 10 games of the season; for him to be "just a 50 point center" as a 20yo. This despite centering Tanguay & Iginla's corpses for a little while and getting very frustrated with his shot following that wrist/hand injury earlier in the year.

So even that worst case scenario is unlikely.

He was worth this money last season, even with the injuries he suffered and his frustration with his shot after his initial injury.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
How do you feel about the Schiefele contract?

Schiefele has been making huge leaps in his development the last 3 seasons and has always been a very strong 2 way player. Right now, he's a good deal better than Mac.

MacKinnon has loads of upside and obviously he's the face of the franchise going forward. I'm just saying that he's not worth this contract now. I understand why it was done because that's the league nowadays, paying for potential, just saying that it comes with some risk.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
We just saw players who are worse then Mackinnon right now(Backes, Ladd, Okposo) sign contract for $6M.

At the trade deadline 2016, on a team going for the cup, I would prefer any of the 3 you mentioned before MacKinnon. All of them are older, and with less potential, but last year they were the better players. Remember that hockey is also played in your half, where you can't really compare a Backes or Ladd to a MacKinnon.

However, not a bad contract considering the pedigree and potential the young Avs star has.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I expected a higher AAV, but this expires right when he hits his prime UFA years. He's gonna get one more good payday, so he could take a little less on this one. Good contract, Avs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad