Confirmed with Link: [COL/DET] Avs acquire Patrik Nemeth for a 4th rd pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Byram will get eaten alive in playoff hockey vs bigger forwards where they put their whistle away. Graves, heck even Nemeth is better suit in the top4 this year.

What have you seen this year from Graves to think he won't get eaten alive in a top 4 role in the playoffs?

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I don’t mind it, should bump Graves out of the lineup when/if the D is healthy.

Also unless I’m wrong this is the first time the Avs and Wings have ever directly traded with each other.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I thought Avs had moved beyond players with no puck skill. The only real benefit to this is Makar/Girard having to play less PK and thus reduce the risk of having to block shots.

The game, especially on the Avs, has changed more towards skill and speed, but roles are still a big part of hockey, especially in the playoffs where they make a name for themselves.

You still need bigger D men to handle the bigger more physical players in the corners and front of the net, and you'd rather they be on the PK blocking shots like you mention too.

Bringing in a bigger, grittier, low maintenance 3rd pairing D man with experience was one of the few needs this team had, with EJ's return in doubt and his injury history. Plus Graves struggles. They had to bring in another guy that could play a similar defensive role.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Hopefully Sakic has another move up his sleeve, or Johnson comes back, because ideally Nemeth would be the 7D or PK insurance in case Graves were to get injured.

Toews --- Makar
Byram --- Girard
Graves --- RHD
Nemeth -- Timmins
MacD ----- Pateryn
Renouf ---- Burroughs
Gilbert

I highly doubt EJ will be back this year. And Byram might have his minutes reduced too

Toews - Girard
Graves - Makar
Nemeth - Byram
McDonald

JH21

Oct 20, 2019

Also unless I’m wrong this is the first time the Avs and Wings have ever directly traded with each other.

Not happening.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

You might be right.

It wasn't a direct trade, but Sherman was aware that Tampa was gonna flip Quincey to Detroit for a 1st, when they traded him for Downie in the three way deal.

Reactions: forsbergavs32

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I'm not joking. Graves has become a big liability on most of his shifts, and it's been that way all year.

I keep waiting for him to break out of it but he hasn't so far. He's approaching Guenin/Holden level, which wasn't even good enough for a rebuilding team, let alone a top contender.

I understand being let down by Graves.

But you have to keep your composure. Renouf is much, much, much worse...

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Again, Nemeth isn't here to bump Graves out of the lineup. He's here to bump Renouf and then he's going to bump MacDonald when Byram is ready.

MacDonald has outplayed Graves though. So unless that changes, I have a hard time seeing Bednar scratching MacDonald in favor of Graves.

The only reason would be because EJ is out and Graves was the only big man defender that can also PK, but that's no longer the case with Nemeth.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Look at the ice time and you'll see who's ahead in the pecking order.

Yeah, but I think that's mainly because Graves has been the only big man defender on the team for most of the year, so Bednar has been forced to play him. He also PK's while MacDonald doesn't.

If Nemeth plays well I think he'll cut into the importance of Graves being in the lineup a lot, because he'll play the same role, only better. Unless this lights a fire under Graves to finally play better.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
The timing of this trade, over two days before the deadline, suggests that Sakic isn't done. Looks to me that he's just filling smaller needs first to have some cost certainty when making a big move. After all, if this type of depth move was all he was going to do it would make more sense to wait until the last minute to get a depth Dman at the cheapest possible price.

With that in mind it's probably a good idea to withhold judgement on this trade until we see the entirity of Sakic's deadline plan coming together.

Came here to post this. Agreed. It's tough if you're trying to make several deals come together and you're not sure if you're going to be able to swing certain deals or if you're going to get scooped again. So for me, I see Nemeth as that insurance policy D-Man that the coaching staff already know they can rely on.

There is still a chance they might trade for another D-man but the pressure to do so is significantly lessened with this acquisition. Good job, Joe - I was hoping you'd get one done early.

Reactions: Richard88

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Byram isn't a top pairing dman this year. Heck, I wouldn't even have him in my top4 the rest of the year, coming off a concussion and now covid.

Toews - Girard
Graves - Makar
Then you throw Graves into the top 4 lol. If Graves is in our top 4, then defense won't be a strong suit of ours.

tshack

Apr 27, 2014
Maybe we can get Cole back too and we can have the good old getting outshot by 20 a game days.

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
He's shored up our goal and D with 2 measly picks...what's not to like?
Joe will get some picks back sooner or later. Like we've said all year, we'll use every bit of our depth this season.
Like Richard88 said, Joe has a better picture of his remaining budget now. He has the youngsters figured out, he has his 3G (possibly), plug and play depth on D that will slide in without much issue and likely be reinvigorated to boot. He can feel better about moving some prospects now and maybe swinging for the fences.

Reactions: Richard88

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hell yeah! Love this guy, solid as hell defenseman as we all have seen
Agreed, I am a really big fan of him. He does suck with the icings - something I am not going to argue against - however, he was as consistent of a defender we've had since a prime Hejda. I don't think he's aged as well has Jan has (though that might be because he's been on the Wings), but is a beast of a PKer and I think he'll look a lot better in our system again.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This puts pressure on Ryan Graves when the Avs are healthy.

When Graves is on he’s a bit better than Nemeth, but Nemeth is more consistent.
You say that, but I think Byram is more susceptible in losing his position; someone who's been constantly injured and just got covid. He's going to have to redo any work that he's already accomplished since he's going to lose a lot by fatigue and potential lack of game shape from covid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad