Confirmed Trade: [COL/BUF] Casey Mittelstadt for Bowen Byram

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Everyone who’s going to say “well now that he’s gone, Avs fans will shit on Bryan.”

I challenge you to look at any GDT on the Avs board from this year.
Love Bo. Was never going to reach his full potential behind Toews and Makar. This is good move for him as a pro and for the Avs as a team. I hope he goes off in Buffalo and I hope Casey does the same in Denver.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
If Bo comes close to his potential I think this'll be a win for Buffalo, but right now it makes sense for us more than it does them.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I feel pretty awful as a Sabres fan. It always feels awful, but this makes me feel worse. This team does not need another puck moving LHD. Y'know what we do need? Players who can play in all zones, like Casey Middlestadt.
It seems weird indeed, not sure I get the rationalr for BUF

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Can I ask respectively why Col wins and massively? I think Byram has the potential to be enough for this to be a win win for both team 1for1 trade

Because Byram, even with his high potential, hasn't shown much improvement since the cup run. I've watched Byram multiple times since that cup run and not once have I come away thinking "wow, he's reached another level". To this day, that's the best version of Byram I've seen. He has had troubles staying on the ice specifically due to concussion problems which are no joke (Look at Nolan Patrick). That's all without mentioning Mittelstadt broke out last season and has continued that good play into this season (leads the Sabres in points), and the underlying numbers all check out - he's the real deal.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Because Byram, even with his high potential, hasn't shown much improvement since the cup run. I've watched Byram multiple times since that cup run and not once have I come away thinking "wow, he's reached another level". To this day, that's the best version of Byram I've seen. He has had troubles staying on the ice specifically due to concussion problems which are no joke (Look at Nolan Patrick). That's all without mentioning Mittelstadt broke out last season and has continued that good play into this season (leads the Sabres in points), and the underlying numbers all check out - he's the real deal.
Byram will never reach his full potential behind Makar and Toews but with that being said he's being Dahlin in Buffalo too. Kind of wish he went to a team lacking a #1.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Love Bo. Was never going to reach his full potential behind Toews and Makar. This is good move for him as a pro and for the Avs as a team. I hope he goes off in Buffalo and I hope Casey does the same in Denver.
I think the problem too is that the Avs board is one of the most pessimistic in the league. You can see us shitting on nearly everyone on the team. Rantanen has 79 points this season, top 10 in the league, and we talk about him like he's useless..

The reality is that the majority of Avs fans like Bowen Byram and are sad his growth trajectory was stifled by the presence of two better defenders in front of him. He has all the tools to be a top pairing defender in this league. And maybe he can do that in Buffalo. Mittelstadt is filling a point of extreme lack of talent.

So, if anyone asks most Avs fans they'll say that Bowen is great and could be a star defender in this league. Just not likely in a stacked Avalanche group.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Byrams problem IMO is he’s been stuck in the shadow of a superior true #1 when ideally he’d be better fit with a larger role and a chance to be “THE guy” on the back end. This is why I don’t get it for Buffalo….he’s once again going to be stuck behind Dahlin and Power in the hierarchy and once again not able to truly showcase his potential. You’d think he was gonna get traded to a team that was willing to give him an opportunity with top pairing and top PPunit ice time.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't mind this for either team. Sabres can't be paying Mitts 7M, with Cozens and TT on the roster. Byram... well, he's a LHD, which isn't ideal, but is signed for next year at under 4M, and still has upside. I like that they didn't settle for draft picks/prospects... they need players.

I can see a trade of one of their young LHD, maybe even Byram, in the summer. Mittlestadt...we'll see how he does away from a losing mentality.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I think the problem too is that the Avs board is one of the most pessimistic in the league. You can see us shitting on nearly everyone on the team. Rantanen has 79 points this season, top 10 in the league, and we talk about him like he's useless..

The reality is that the majority of Avs fans like Bowen Byram and are sad his growth trajectory was stifled by the presence of two better defenders in front of him. He has all the tools to be a top pairing defender in this league. And maybe he can do that in Buffalo. Mittelstadt is filling a point of extreme lack of talent.

So, if anyone asks most Avs fans they'll say that Bowen is great and could be a star defender in this league. Just not likely in a stacked Avalanche group.
Yah its a very toxic place. Im thinking about leaving and joining a more positive board like the Oilers board because of it. Guys like @Sea Eagles just bring that place down with his negativity.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Value here is fine imo, but I feel like Buffalo could have used the asset (Casey) much better than acquiring more of the same - a PMD. Maybe this is just precursor to another deal for them. At the moment, i kinda feel for Sabre fans because this feels like poor asset management.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Although he's a natural LD, the Avs have been playing Byram at RD this season. I wonder if that was a factor in this trade?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
23 is usually the age where players are what they are, Byram is a 3rd pair D with offensive talents

They are close to what they are in terms of physical development and speed but wow man as a Canuck fan 23 yr old Kesler Sedins Burrows Miller Naslund Bertuzzi Bieksa Samuelsson etc etc vs what they were later in their careers......really?

josra33

Aug 11, 2008

100%. I love Bryam but we filled a need and he hopefully moved somewhere he can flourish. Although he’s still behind two monster dmen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad