Confirmed Trade: [COL/BUF] Casey Mittelstadt for Bowen Byram

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
why would the avs give up on byram?
Between Toews, Girard and Byram someone had to go from the left side. Girard doesn't have value around the league, Byram had to be the guy out.

Still think Byram has the ability to be a #1, but his play tends to oscillate between quite good and very bad. I would compare him to a young Kris Letang. One night he will look unstoppable the next night he'll be awful

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Smart of Buffalo to sell high on Mittelstadt and buy low on Byram.

Wonder what this means for Samuelsson who just got that fat contract extension. Trade bait for a veteran forward?

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Reminds me a bit of Fiala for Granlund a few years back at the deadline. I hope Bryan can put it all together more consistently

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
So here's the Sabres logic.

They didn't want to spend $5/per on a 3rd line center.
They get a former top 5 pick/top 4 who is on a bridge deal and traded a guy that wasn't in the plans.

I just am not sure why they did this now and not during the Summer.

Could Jokiharju be on his way out as well?
What 3rd line centers produce like Mitts?

Reactions: tsujimoto74

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Buffalo clearly did this because there's a logjam coming with Kulich and Savoie soon. I love Mitts but I understand why they are doing this.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
How so? Dumping RyJo should have cost us an asset. Instead we got a Right D which we needed and gave up a late first next year.
Well maybe because I am not that high on Walker and I wouldn't have pay a 1st for dumping RyJo and get Walker but that's my opinion

Mallow

Jun 2, 2010
Maine
If Buffalo can get Byram's development back on track I like this deal for both sides. But have to admit he's high-risk, high-reward player currently. Not sure where they're going to find PP time for him but perhaps they make it work.

Love Mittelstadt for the Avs playoff run though. Capable two way guy that can play C or W, that's the kind of guy I'm surprised more teams weren't after. Pair that with a guy like Walker as well, who right now is probably an upgrade on Byram and they're set for another long playoff run. Now if only they can find a reliable backup goalie...

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Really don’t like this trade for Buffalo. I think they could/should have addressed that #2/3 D spot with a cheaper option than Byram without giving up one of their few proven top-6 forwards who can play defense. Byram is solid and will eventually make a great partner for Power/Dahlin, but the cost was far too high imo

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Congrats to Colorado for taking advantage of our dipshit GM whose only qualification is blind loyalty to the Pegulas, to the point that his first bit of action on the job was "fire all these hockey people we're letting go because of Covid and we're too cowardly and uncaring to do it ourselves"

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I know point watching Mitts is on top, but he is clearly their third center long term. All around solid 60 point player who wants 7m as 3C is a tough ask.

Reactions: Perry Tegula

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Damn!! Where the **** did this one come from? Love these kinds of trades.

First instinct was "what the hell are the Avs thinking," but the more I think about it, Mittelstadt just took a massive leap forward and started fulfilling his promise. Avs might be in on the ground floor of a forward who is about to rocket to star status.

Byram on the otherwise is proving himself to be injury prone and unreliable.

Ultimately though I expect this to be win-win.

If Byram stays healthy and pans out, Dahlin/Power/Byram is a hell of a D core moving forward.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
I know point watching Mitts is on top, but he is clearly their third center long term. All around solid 60 point player who wants 7m as 3C is a tough ask.
60 point center sounds a lot more like a 2C. What 3C in the league is putting up that kind of production?

Reactions: Zman5778

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Assuming he's past his concussion issues this could be fantastic for Buffalo, any chance he makes in time for tonight?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad