Confirmed Trade: [COL/ARI] Darcy Kuemper ($1M ret.) for Connor Timmins, '22 1st, and '24 cond. 3rd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Probably the first time I've ever wondered what the hell Sakic was thinking.
He panicked. He thought Grubauer was re-signing. LeBrun said earlier that Sakic's plan B was Andersen, but Grubauer took so long in making his decision that Andersen decided to take the offer he had from Carolina before Sakic had heard back from Grubauer. So, Sakic lost plan A, he lost plan B, and then Armstrong realized that he was Sakic's plan C and held firm. That, and it looks like Edmonton was also desperate here, since right now they've only got Smith and Koskinen ( :laugh: ), so Armstrong played two desperate GMs off one another.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Win-Win trade here, the pick will be late and Timmins is ok.

The Avs are Cup Contenders, so they had to have a goalie.

Reactions: Jakey53

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
I really feel Sakic tries to keep goalie salaries down to a minimum. If he went out and spent money and actually got a high end goalie they might have a cup already.

Reactions: Mules

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Why the hell didn't they reach out to Columbus for one of their goalies if they were prepared to pay a crazy price like this?

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Arizona will have a shit ton of picks, they still have more bullets in the chamber, that they will likely fire for draft picks.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Sakic lost value wise on this trade 100%.

The good news though is that Sakic just acquired a goalie who is 2nd among all full time NHL goalies in save percentage over the last 3 years.
And who is oft injured having played 30 games or less per season (save for a 55 game season).

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Because a late 1st and a meh prospect is somehow the key to a dynasty?
Nope, because it goes beyond that. Kuemper isn't signed beyond this year and is an older, inferior goalie, so you're revisiting the same situation next year unless you think he's the long-term answer (which Sakic shouldn't). A dynasty is rare without goalie stability, and this isn't the answer to that. And of course Sakic unnecessarily lost two important assets to deal for holes next season and beyond. So really I should say he significantly hurt his chances for a Cup this year and hurt his chance at a dynasty. With MacKinnon due big money in two years, and hence the future of the franchise determined next offseason, the Avs window isn't as wide as one might think. Sakic is helping close it early.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
1st PLUS Timmins? Ouch.

Joe Sakic was in a bad situation and had to overpay for an often injured goalie.

Bad, bad move, Sakic. It was totally avoidable.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
And who is oft injured having played 30 games or less per season (save for a 55 game season).
Yup. Definitely the big fear here. He’s a known band aid. But as long as the Avs do whatever they can to make sure he’s healthy for the playoffs next year they have themselves in a good spot.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
I can live with that deal if Kuemper was to extend at a cheaper price than Gru.

On the other hand I wasn’t a fan of Timmins, not the player fitting Avs system, Barron will he an upgrade

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Had Sakic not dragged his feet he could of got a different goalie before now. Arizona knew they had no other real options so Colorado had to give up more.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Kuemper is a good goalie. I just don’t really get this. After what we paid, we’ve got to extend him and that’ll cost more than a younger Gru anyway.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Why the hell didn't they reach out to Columbus for one of their goalies if they were prepared to pay a crazy price like this?
Because he saw the haul Jarmo got for nice to have player.
For a MUST HAVE goalie Sakic was afraid to lose MacK or more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad