TSN: Cody Ceci + Hapur + Luchuk and pick for Nikita Zeitsev + Brown + Carcone

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
They had a bad defender locked in for 5 more years,that was going to a hinderance in them resigning more important pieces....Making a few million disappear just happened a week ago with Carolina,and it cost them a 1st....

We give up a 3rd lol to take the larger deal ,and to make the few million(Brown ) disappear...And you dont see a problem with this???

I know you’re angry, but have you considered that he might not be a bad defender? Several leaf fans came to our board telling us that he was one of their better defenders last year, and yet you choose to ignore that.

A top 4 RD locked in at 3.9 million is actually a very good deal, and very tradeable for quality assets if needs be.

A few posters tried hard to explain to you the difference between trading to buy out Marleau, versus trading for a player to play on your team, and yet you seem unwilling to absorb the information. They are not the same deals at all.

We paid a 3rd to get rid of two players you all hated, while picking up two seemingly good players on very tradeable deals whom I would argue would get more than a 3rd each should we divide to trade them down the road.

Given last night and today so far, I’d say that it looks like your freaking out just to freak out.

By the way, Happy Canada Day man :)

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Which exactly what this trade is,it does nothing for us but add another ****ty defender for 5 years while getting rid of one that had one season left....Add in the pick from us and its even more stupid...There is no defending this,yet here you are

I’m not here defending anything. I’m one who is more interested in reserving judgement. I’m willing to discuss the merits of the trade though that’s seems impossible when every one thinks they know everything.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Why would we need to pay a third to get rid of Ceci when we could have done it by just walking away?

Reactions: Acidrain66

ThreePosts

Jun 21, 2018
I think we can just amend the acronym to Five Years Of Unprecedented Sucking. We've entered year 3.

If we only keep it to 5, I'll be surprised. We look like a team that is staying in the basement for about a decade. We are the new Edmonton.
I think we're in a class of our own. We're the team Edmonton, Arizona and Florida look down on.

Heck, we're the franchise that sad-sack fans of destitute franchises from other leagues talk about to make themselves feel better.

Reactions: branch

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I know you’re angry, but have you considered that he might not be a bad defender? Several leaf fans came to our board telling us that he was one of their better defenders last year, and yet you choose to ignore that.

A top 4 RD locked in at 3.9 million is actually a very good deal, and very tradeable for quality assets if needs be.

A few posters tried hard to explain to you the difference between trading to buy out Marleau, versus trading for a player to play on your team, and yet you seem unwilling to absorb the information. They are not the same deals at all.

We paid a 3rd to get rid of two players you all hated, while picking up two seemingly good players on very tradeable deals whom I would argue would get more than a 3rd each should we divide to trade them down the road.

Given last night and today so far, I’d say that it looks like your freaking out just to freak out.

received_494483174655792.png

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

And about 3.4993 million said this was a steal,as Z was one of their worse ....This trade was never about anything more than EM saving money,and as you can tell Iam a huge fan of the Senators have been since the first game...

And like more than 3/4 of this fanbase have had enough with the garbage current ownership is and has been putting forward.....I do take solace that EM will have a bare empty building to remind him that the customers have spoken and see through the BS

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I think we're in a class of our own. We're the team Edmonton, Arizona and Florida look down on.

Heck, we're the franchise that sad-sack fans of destitute franchises from other leagues talk about to make themselves feel better.
We are in a class with the New York Knicks and Oakland/Vegas Raiders.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison

The short, stocky, slow witted, bald man with glasses. Who lives at home with his parents.

Oh - and our fiancé died licking toxic glue off wedding invitations which we picked out.

That's who we are as a team.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Does anyone on this forum know anything about hockey or are all comments totally idiotic. I am sure there is some common sense somewhere but am having difficulty finding any.
You're entitled to your opinion.

Just another bad deal in the long line of em by Dorion and selling a pick for cash yet again for Melnyk's benefit. Its tiring that every single deal this team makes has a heavy financial component to it and Dorion taking more redundant 3rd line pieces like Brown as the plus for a 5 year risk.

The deal would be fine value wise, if you can live with Zaitsev's term, if the pick were coming back to Ottawa instead and we dumped at least one more bad short term problem like Condon or Boedker. The deal is way out of wack.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

We are an ahl team by comparision

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I highly doubt making a 5 year deal 'disappear' for a guy who's not that good and has a NTC kicking in today would be as easy as you suggest.

They didn’t have to get rid of him, they have other options, and according to leaf fans, he’s not as bad as some posters around here say he is (the good news is that we’ll get to draw our own conclusions soon enough).

NTCs are not NMCs, and he asked for a trade so it made the most sense for them. Guys from the leafs board we’re saying that if he hadn’t asked to be traded, the leafs most likely would have looked elsewhere to be rid of money.

We never had them over a barrel, that was just wishful thinking by some, seemingly those same folks that are now roasting PD and the team for a deal that put us ahead asset wise after it was all said and done.

You guys seem to honestly think that we should have received, a top 4 RD on a reasonable long deal, with his 3 million dollar bonus paid, a solid young middle 6 forward on a cheap 1 year deal, offloaded two young defenders whom the team didn’t want to pay, for absolutely nothing, just because TO needed to shed some salary? That whole deal cost us a 3rd, that WAS the leafs having to take a hit to clear room.

It’s not a deal to be super stoked on, as we don’t know what the players will look like here, but it’s got a lot more positives the negatives.

Reactions: EdSoxFan

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
Brown is the best player in this deal, and I really hope he does well for the Sens. Great third line winger that can fill in on the second line. Very good defensively, but frustrating offensively at times. Zaitsev has been absolutely terrible along the boards in the defensive zone. Blind back hands up to the blue line (when under pressure ) will drive some of you bonkers.

I know what Ceci is, but really never paid much attention to Hapur last year. Hows his speed and defensive skills? Comparables?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
They didn’t have to get rid of him, they have other options, and according to leaf fans, he’s not as bad as some posters around here say he is (the good news is that we’ll get to draw our own conclusions soon enough).

NTCs are not NMCs, and he asked for a trade so it made the most sense for them. Guys from the leafs board we’re saying that if he hadn’t asked to be traded, the leafs most likely would have looked elsewhere to be rid of money.

We never had them over a barrel, that was just wishful thinking by some, seemingly those same folks that are now roasting PD and the team for a deal that put us ahead asset wise after it was all said and done.

You guys seem to honestly think that we should have received, a top 4 RD on a reasonable long deal, with his 3 million dollar bonus paid, a solid young middle 6 forward on a cheap 1 year deal, offloaded two young defenders whom the team didn’t want to pay, for absolutely nothing, just because TO needed to shed some salary? That whole deal cost us a 3rd, that WAS the leafs having to take a hit to clear room.

It’s not a deal to be super stoked on, as we don’t know what the players will look like here, but it’s got a lot more positives the negatives.
Well we have 5 more year to see....So we had better hope he figures it out or we just bought a doorstop for 5 seasons...Just what every team that doesnt have enough money for hot water in the bathrooms should do

Reactions: Ice-Tray

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne

I thought the media said we paid a 3rd so that the Leafs would pay the bonuses? Therefore we never had to use a pick to make this trade and, if we were willing/able to pay the bonuses, could have made this trade earlier and nullified Zaitzev's NTC giving us a lot more flexibility in the future. Now we have to hope he turns it around here otherwise we have approx 7% of the Sens' cap (I'm assuming this is 65M) tied up for 5 years.

As a general comment on the trade, it was about what I expected when the rumours surfaced. All hinges on whether Zaitzev can be effective as a top 4 defender for the next 5 years. Feel like we should have been able to get more.

"Ottawa is a dumping ground" - TSN. Lol.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Found this in the Leafs board:

Zaitsev/Gards numbers once Gards got in shape and started playing his regular TOI (Oct 17th- onwards). This includes the data from when Gards played with back issues as well.

CF%: 51.84
SCF%: 54.43
HDCF%: 57.83
xGF%: 54.48
GF%: 53.38

Bear in mind they were also one of the less sheltered 2nd pairings in the league. High end QoC combined with 45% OZs. Babs likes to overload his top 4, thats for sure.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
This trade is straight ass
If we wanted Brown, could've just got him on his own since the leafs wanted to dump his salary. He's not a sweetener for taking Zaitsev
No reason to take an extra 5 years of Zaitsev. He could bounce back and be decent but I don't think it's worth the risk because of that term
Then we give up a 3rd rounder because ?????
At least watching Ceci on the Leafs will be funny

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I thought the media said we paid a 3rd so that the Leafs would pay the bonuses? Therefore we never had to use a pick to make this trade and, if we were willing/able to pay the bonuses, could have made this trade earlier and nullified Zaitzev's NTC giving us a lot more flexibility in the future. Now we have to hope he turns it around here otherwise we have approx 7% of the Sens' cap (I'm assuming this is 65M) tied up for 5 years.

As a general comment on the trade, it was about what I expected when the rumours surfaced. All hinges on whether Zaitzev can be effective as a top 4 defender for the next 5 years. Feel like we should have been able to get more.

Great selling point for us to keep what little talent we do have,no wait its because we are a small market .....Lol

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Looks like the Sens took the money saved by the Leafs paying Zaitsev's bonus [3.5M] and rolled it right into signing Ron Hainsey. That's actually kind of smart in a way. We probably couldn't have afforded both on our budget.

It's sort of strange to me to see the negative reaction to this deal. We pay picks to save real money. This isn't new. In fact we'll probably see more of it going forward, especially if attendance stays low.

It is what it is. Fielding a roster on a shoestring budget is hard, and you have to make 'bad' deals on paper to do it.

Ron Hainsey Age 38 !

Rebuilding for FYOUS !

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON

So Leafs fans are better armchair GM's than we are?

We got the absolute most expendable asset the Leafs possessed in return for taking Zaitsev. And we gave them a 3rd as a tip.

Zaitsev may be fine for us, who knows. The bottom line is the trade is just another in a long line of puzzling, real dollar motivated moves by our inept front office.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Here’s the thing, if we have to be conscious of money, I don’t mind giving picks for money here and there. Essentially PD paid a 3rd to get Z and Hainsey for just Z money.

I don’t put money issues on the GM, his job is to make sure we have NHL players playing in the team, and right now we need to protect and develop the kids properly as a top priority. We NEED some experience on the back end, and they need to be affordable, and hopefully even have some upside or value that can be flipped down the road, instead of walking away after being priced out.

I don’t think we need to be overly concerned with Zs NTC, there will always be teams interested in a top 4 RD (if he pans out) and given that we won’t be a playoff team for a while he’d likely accept a deal to most playoff teams. An NTC is no reason to change the deal, what that extra 3million gets spent on a quality vet D who can also be flipped for a pick. All that is also not to mention that Z becomes a bit more valuable as an asset when his contract becomes 3.9 million each year as well.

None of this is ground breaking. It was in essence a small deal that has become a mountain out of a molehill type thing I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad