TSN: Cody Ceci + Hapur + Luchuk and pick for Nikita Zeitsev + Brown + Carcone

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Because the Leafs were shopping him with a sweetener to the league to get out of his contract to be able to sign Marner because they are in cap hell?

All the insiders reported they would be adding a sweetener to entice teams...o

ceci is on a 1 year deal. Zaitsev is signed through the age of 32. That's 4 full years, and 18 million dollars of unwanted salary and term for The Leafs.

Don't worry I understand, this is not a new thing, Hawks or even Ottawa back then went through this. Need cap space to sign more important players. But if you are in the Sens shoes, and according to this board, Zaitsev is a major upgrade on Ceci who will cost 3.9 in real money for the next 5 years while Ceci would have cost AT THE MINIMUM 4.3 per year.

Connor Brown is a decent forward who was a bit buried in Leafs offensive depth so yeah he's a good sweetener.

Carcone and Luchuk are AHL players and cancel each others, but Carcone is more proven and should help the B-Sens more. Harpur was the worst D-man to me on the Sens after Borowiecki, he has interesting strengths but is lacking quickness to really succeed in the NHL.

Harpur + 3rd for Brown? I would have done that deal on its own. So basically Sens wanted to replace Ceci by a cheaper/better RHD already signed (3.9 x 5 seasons). All Zaitsev has to do is be better than Ceci, which really shouldn't be hard if you read this board the last 2-3 years.

It works well for both teams, Leafs should flip back Ceci to another team unless the cap saving from Brown-Zaitsev to Ceci-forward at a minimum salary were enough for them.

We are on the Senators side here, it's not about "for The Leafs", it's about what it does for the Sens

I am camping out here in leafs country.

Leafers think we did better in trade.

I think it is pretty amusing that we just got rid of our whipping boy, and no one is planning a parade down Bank Street.

@Micklebot had the PD pick thrown in pages back. Good call. That pick is the only that maybe stings a little down the road.

Oh you don't say. The same posters who complained non-stop about Ceci (and even insulted him without any barriers) are now crying that the Sens got fleeced? The irony is pure gold.

Zaitsev for Ceci
Brown for Harpur + 3rd?
Carcone for Luchuk?

Upgrade on all 3 parts of the deal. I could be mistaken though, because my evaluation of Ceci is somewhat influenced by this board's opinion. I have read countless times that he is garbage, he is terrible, he sucks, awful, etc. So seriously, I can't see how it's a bad deal for the Sens now? Or maybe it's just a whole lack of coherence of this board? Who knows? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

HopelessSensFan

Apr 28, 2019
I had lot of excitement when McKenzie mentioned about the sweetener. But my gut was telling Dorion would be fleeced somehow. But never expected we would give up a pick.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
I had lot of excitement when McKenzie mentioned about the sweetener. But my gut was telling Dorion would be fleeced somehow. But never expected we would give up a pick.

Giving up the pick was obvious, though. We've seen it before. Rich team takes advantage of a broke team. Rangers did it to us, now Toronto. Picks should be gold for us right now as we rebuild. I was hoping we'd be in on Marleau, essentially buying a 1st round pick. Now I feel silly even thinking that was somewhat possible.

Reactions: gab6511

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Don't worry I understand, this is not a new thing, Hawks or even Ottawa back then went through this. Need cap space to sign more important players. But if you are in the Sens shoes, and according to this board, Zaitsev is a major upgrade on Ceci who will cost 3.9 in real money for the next 5 years while Ceci would have cost AT THE MINIMUM 4.3 per year.

Connor Brown is a decent forward who was a bit buried in Leafs offensive depth so yeah he's a good sweetener.

Carcone and Luchuk are AHL players and cancel each others, but Carcone is more proven and should help the B-Sens more. Harpur was the worst D-man to me on the Sens after Borowiecki, he has interesting strengths but is lacking quickness to really succeed in the NHL.

Harpur + 3rd for Brown? I would have done that deal on its own. So basically Sens wanted to replace Ceci by a cheaper/better RHD already signed (3.9 x 5 seasons). All Zaitsev has to do is be better than Ceci, which really shouldn't be hard if you read this board the last 2-3 years.

It works well for both teams, Leafs should flip back Ceci to another team unless the cap saving from Brown-Zaitsev to Ceci-forward at a minimum salary were enough for them.
Anyone who thinks Zaitsev is a MAJOR upgrade on Ceci is out to lunch.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Better and Cheaper than Ceci is a low bar to clear and in this case the end result was still a bad contract that the other team was trying to get out of. So instead of walking away or locking in for one year of a really bad deal for ceci we lock into 5 years of a bad deal for Zaitsev in the hopes that he can turn it around. Maybe he can turn it around but this really is a risk we didn't need to take.

Brown is a nice player but we don't need nice 3rd liners that can spot fill in the top 6 now. We need guys that can become future top 6 players when we are actually in a position to compete.

Reactions: Deku and DrEasy

ThreePosts

Jun 21, 2018
We should rename the cap space for sale thread to picks for sale...
Can't sell players for cash, so we sell players for picks and then picks for cash...not sure what they could do about it, but you have to think the league is a at least troubled by the optics...it's not like it isn't obvious.

I definitely didn't follow things as closely, but I don't remember things getting this bad in AZ?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Can't sell players for cash, so we sell players for picks and then picks for cash...not sure what they could do about it, but you have to think the league is a at least troubled by the optics...it's not like it isn't obvious.

I definitely didn't follow things as closely, but I don't remember things getting this bad in AZ?
Arz took on bad contracts for picks we sell picks forbad player's bonuses being paid...

Reactions: Deku

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Better and Cheaper than Ceci is a low bar to clear and in this case the end result was still a bad contract that the other team was trying to get out of. So instead of walking away or locking in for one year of a really bad deal for ceci we lock into 5 years of a bad deal for Zaitsev in the hopes that he can turn it around. Maybe he can turn it around but this really is a risk we didn't need to take.

Brown is a nice player but we don't need nice 3rd liners that can spot fill in the top 6 now. We need guys that can become future top 6 players when we are actually in a position to compete.

But Micklebot, if Ceci is garbage, impossible to trade him for anything else than another "overpaid D-man" (3.9 per x 5 years though which is like very close to the NHL average salary nowadays). The only other solution would have been letting him walk for nothing. All this is according to what I have read on this very board for 2-3 years of course.

Brown is only 25 y/o and can play both wings. He gives a bit more time for young prospects to develop. He will still have value after this season (still RFA). Hopefully he has a great season (like Tierney) and they can be flipped for good assets.

Tkachuk-White-Ryan
Duclair-Tierney-Brown
Smith-Pageau-Davidsson
Paul/Boedker/Balcers/Veronneau

Brown, Batherson, Chlapik, Norris, Abramov, Formenton, Gruden still developing. Some will be called up during the season and stick with the club (could make it out of camp too)

There's no point of competing this year (and well very unlikely when you spend 50% of what the average NHL team does). 3 first and 2 seconds in the next draft, who all should be top-45 with the Sens pick probably top-5 in one of the best drafts in a long time.

Anyone who thinks Zaitsev is a MAJOR upgrade on Ceci is out to lunch.

Sorry, I read this board too much (not much anymore lol). According to that, a hot potato is a major upgrade on Ceci.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
In my opinion:

Hard to be excited about this move, though I don’t think that was the idea.

I think the plan is to keep Z and let him solidify the right side while the kids develop, and given his reasonable deal, if he continues to live up to his top 4 billing, he will be an easy contract to move for assets, especially RD.

I have no idea what to expect with Brown, but it looks like he may be a solid player (did score 20 goals). I think the real issue here is that if you look at the trade as a hockey deal, we seem to have come away with the two NHL roster players, who may end up being mainstays for us going forward, or at the very least can be flipped for assets down the road.

TO got Ceci, who to many here is a detriment to the team, and they get cap space and a 3rd. From a hockey perspective we come out ahead, but TO needed to give away assets to sign Marner, so they had to take a pretty big asset hit to get rid of these two.

Brown himself should be able to get himself a 3rd right now, while we basically got Z at a very reasonable long term deal for a top 4 RD for free, or like I said, for the added bonus of getting rid of Ceci. If Z and Brown end up being the players described by TO fans, then we should be happy. Meanwhile TO fans can at least look at the 3rd as some consolation for the assets that they basically had to give away.

People want us to play hardball, but in truth, if we value the assets we were getting back, and value getting rid of the guy we were getting rid of, then a hockey deal makes the most sense. It’s not like TO couldn’t have made room another way if needs be, they obviously took the path that was the least damaging, which seems good for us since we came away with the better assets. I have no doubt that if we had tried to play ‘hardball’ TO would have gone elsewhere, I’m not sure why people assume that we were their only option.

We got more, better assets from this deal, and while it’s not sexy, it’s not worthy of page after page of griping.

Reactions: czechcanadian

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
But Micklebot, if Ceci is garbage, impossible to trade him for anything else than another "overpaid D-man" (3.9 per x 5 years). The only other solution would have been letting him walk for nothing. All this is according to what I have read on this very board for 2-3 years of course.

Brown is only 25 y/o and can play both wings. He gives a bit more time for young prospects to develop. He will still have value after this season (still RFA). Hopefully he has a great season (like Tierney) and they can be flipped for good assets.

Tkachuk-White-Ryan
Duclair-Tierney-Brown
Smith-Pageau-Davidsson
Paul/Boedker/Balcers/Veronneau

Brown, Batherson, Chlapik, Norris, Abramov, Formenton, Gruden still developing. Some will be called up during the season and stick with the club (could make it out of camp too)

There's no point of competing this year (and well very unlikely when you spend 50% of what the average NHL team does). 3 first and 2 seconds in the next draft, who all should be top-45 with the Sens pick probably top-5 in one of the best drafts in a long time.

Sorry, I read this board too much (not much anymore lol). According to that, a hot potato is a major upgrade on Ceci.
A hot potato is better than Zaitsev.

A hot potato doesnt come with a 5 year term to a cash strapped team.

By virtue of being a non-entity Hot potato > Zaitsev.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
That's fine, but we should have squeezed them. Pierre has leverage and the best he could do was get an easily expendable asset out of them.

It's just unacceptable.

We did squeeze them, why in he world does everyone think that they would have kept giving, as though dealing with us was their only option, or they were under some form of immediate time crunch.

They were always going to make the deal that hurt them the least, and if we wanted to end up getting assets with some value at a serious discount, we were going to have to be reasonable.

We never had them over a barrel, they’re the friggin’ Maple Leafs needing to make a few million disappear.

Let’s get real here folks.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We did squeeze them, why in he world does everyone think that they would have kept giving, as though dealing with us was their only option, or they were under some form of immediate time crunch.

They were always going to make the deal that hurt them the least, and if we wanted to end up getting assets with some value at a serious discount, we were going to have to be reasonable.

We never had them over a barrel, they’re the friggin’ Maple Leafs needing to make a few million disappear.

They had a bad defender locked in for 5 more years,that was going to a hinderance in them resigning more important pieces....Making a few million disappear just happened a week ago with Carolina,and it cost them a 1st....

We give up a 3rd lol to take the larger deal ,and to make the few million(Brown ) disappear...And you dont see a problem with this???

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
That should worry you, not be a defense for the team's poor choices.

Yeah, no thanks.

I think I’ll just wait and watch the guys play. We got rid of two guys everyone hated on the roster and got two players the trading team’s fans liked, for a 3rd. Each asset we received is worth more than a 3rd if they simply live up to their previous billing.

You and the majority of the board can’t label every team decision a “poor choice” fast enough.

As you know, that’s not my thing. I’ll wait and see how the guys pan out.

aligator

Jan 3, 2008
Yikes! Dorion done got hosed again.

This guy really might be the worst GM in the history of the league. He's an embarassment along with Melnyk.

There has to be something better and less infuriating to do with our time right?!?!?
Does anyone on this forum know anything about hockey or are all comments totally idiotic. I am sure there is some common sense somewhere but am having difficulty finding any.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON

I highly doubt making a 5 year deal 'disappear' for a guy who's not that good and has a NTC kicking in today would be as easy as you suggest.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
They know a reach when they see one too.
Which exactly what this trade is,it does nothing for us but add another shitty defender for 5 years while getting rid of one that had one season left....Add in the pick from us and its even more stupid...There is no defending this,yet here you are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad