TSN: Cody Ceci + Hapur + Luchuk and pick for Nikita Zeitsev + Brown + Carcone

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
It cost the Leafs a 1st to dump Marleau's 1YR 6.25M deal

What did it cost them to dump Zaitsev's 5YR 22.5M deal? Nothing at all.

Dorion completely failed to take advantage of a desperate team, and managed to get completely bent over, despite having all the leverage.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

Dorion completely failed to take advantage of a desperate team, and managed to get completely bent over, despite having all the leverage.
Yep but EM made 4 mil......

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Watch Ceci go to Toronto and break out as a 60 point 2 way d-man :laugh:

I have followed Babcock his whole NHL career and I would be pretty disappointed in him if he was using Ceci the way he has been used here the last 3 years. He is not a shutdown D-man, so he shouldn't be used as a top-10 shutdown D-man in the NHL. Only in Ottawa you're so poor that you have to try to reinvent hockey players to fit your needs instead of spending to fill those needs.

That being said, if the Leafs needed cap space, Ceci is going to be flipped again, no?

I feel like the Ceci acquisition is some weird analytic experiment by the dweebs in the Leafs front office. Maybe Dubas made somebody a bet that he can make the guy a positive possession player for the first time in his career.

His analytics were totally fine until he was forced into a 23 minutes cruncher shutdown D-man. Leafs are not dumb, they know he was totally misused in Ottawa. They're going to play him 19 minutes a game in a more offensive/normal role.

But Zaitsev is only a dump if he is really not as good as Ceci... Wondering what this board feels right now

Gosh, it's going to be fun :laugh:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
This is a classic Dorion trade. He's so bad at negotiations that he loses most of the trades. There's absolutely zero reason to be trading picks when you are rebuilding. I understand this is a Melnyk thing, but Dorion as a GM should be shrewd enough to negotiate a better deal. That's the main quality he lacks, which is paramount to be being a good GM. One poster above said it best that doesn't matter what situation, Dorion seems to always deal without leverage.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
I can’t believe I’m reading people defend the selling of another draft pick for cash. If there’s one issue that all of us should agree on while singing Kumbaya together around the proverbial campfire, it’s that we’re in real trouble if our owner is so poor that we’re selling draft picks for cash.

And the defenders of this behaviour aren’t even being honest. The idea that you can ‘replace’ a draft pick sold for cash doesn’t make any sense. If the team manages to acquire another 2020 3rd, they still have one less pick than they’d have if Melnyk weren’t too poor to properly run an NHL team. We all know the probabilities of picks in various rounds becoming NHL players. You increase your odds of finding these diamonds in the rough by hoarding picks and taking as many kicks at the can as possible. A rebuilding team especially should be borderline obsessive about having as many picks as possible.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that we’re the only team in the league with a multi-year track record of selling picks to save our owner money. I think that defending a practice that directly harms the health and depth of the hockey team at the sole benefit of the owner does the team a disservice. This is Mickey Mouse league behaviour indicative of an owner who can’t afford the team he owns, and it should make us all mad.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
How is Zaitsev a cap dump if he is much better than Ceci?

:laugh:
Because the Leafs were shopping him with a sweetener to the league to get out of his contract to be able to sign Marner because they are in cap hell?

All the insiders reported they would be adding a sweetener to entice teams...o

ceci is on a 1 year deal. Zaitsev is signed through the age of 32. That's 4 full years, and 18 million dollars of unwanted salary and term for The Leafs.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Taking on Zaitsev's deal is not a money saver for Melnyk.

We still have to pay the guy 4.5M a year in the final 4YRs of his deal.

There were cheaper (and smarter) ways to hit the cap floor.
No but after the bonus money paid to both plus harpur ,we pocket around 4 mil ...And yes there about a million ways we could do things that are better than what we ended up doing....But you know,we have an asshat for an owner

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Looks like the Sens took the money saved by the Leafs paying Zaitsev's bonus [3.5M] and rolled it right into signing Ron Hainsey. That's actually kind of smart in a way. We probably couldn't have afforded both on our budget.

It's sort of strange to me to see the negative reaction to this deal. We pay picks to save real money. This isn't new. In fact we'll probably see more of it going forward, especially if attendance stays low.

It is what it is. Fielding a roster on a shoestring budget is hard, and you have to make 'bad' deals on paper to do it.

There are other budget teams in the league we seem to be the only ones selling picks for cash so transparently.

I mean, we should be using these picks to develop into cheap elc roster players but instead we trade to turn a bad contract into a palatable one. Idk... I don't see why we rushed into this deal. At best 8t is ok for us, but we could have waited it out and seen the pressure rise on TO. Instead we let them off the hook easy.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Why didn’t we go for the jugular and bend Toronto over with their cap hell situation?? This trade is so depressing. I’m sick of seeing draft picks traded for money!

Reactions: branch

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We are rebuilding and will spend to the cap once the rebuild is finished.........We sell a 3rd rounder ,instead of buying one to push the rebuild forward....How does this make any sense??

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This is a classic Dorion trade. He's so bad at negotiations that he loses most of the trades. There's absolutely zero reason to be trading picks when you are rebuilding. I understand this is a Melnyk thing, but Dorion as a GM should be shrewd enough to negotiate a better deal. That's the main quality he lacks, which is paramount to be being a good GM. One poster above said it best that doesn't matter what situation, Dorion seems to always deal without leverage.

Dorion's problem is he doesn't have a sense of any leverage he may have. He gets talked into losing the trade almost every single time. Its one thing to have a very cheap owner. Having an incompetent GM making deals on a shoestring is a recipe for complete failure. Did I mention I can't stand Dorion.

Reactions: Cosmix

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
This trade seems all about the short term for the Senators. Instead of paying Ceci and two prospects a total of 6.1M (assuming Ceci is at 4.5, prospects 800k) to fill three roster spots, we gave up Luchuk and a 3rd to facilitate us adding Hainsey, Zaitsev, and Brown at a total net cost of 5.8M ((1.5+1.6+3.5) - 800k for Harpur).

In theory, this would be a good move, because we'll probably get a 3rd for Brown next year when he become too expensive for us, and we also might be able to get an asset for Hainsey at the deadline, but then when the risk of Zaitsev signed at 4.5M from years 2-5 comes in, it seems way too risky.

Not to mention, we could have just NOT qualified Ceci or if there was a market traded him for futures, and not had that sunk cost.

I agree we need veterans to fill certain spots so we aren't throwing prospects to the wolves, but aren't there other guys like Ennis we could have signed at 1M or less? Would that money not have been better used taking the Marleau contract for a highly valuable 2020 1st? It seems like this is a real misguided push to try and make us competitive too soon at the expense of possibly having a bad contract on the books for the next few seasons.

It almost makes me think there might be a mandate from ownership to force this team to be as competitive as possible now. Cold feet over the full rebuild approach.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Taking on Zaitsev's deal is not a money saver for Melnyk.

We still have to pay the guy 4.5M a year in the final 4YRs of his deal.

There were cheaper (and smarter) ways to hit the cap floor.

Yes but you have to look beyond this year for that to hit home.. They are too short sighted for that. They kick the problem down the road and hope it somehow solves itself by the time they get there... Brutal people to be in charge of a rebuilding team.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Could see Zaitsev traded to someone like Florida by the TDL for a UFA to be and a 3rd round pick. I really don't think this'll last far into the contract.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
So my understanding is that the Leafs convinced Dorion that Zaitsev is a good player? Or Dorion thinks Zaitsev is a good player...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad