TSN: Cody Ceci + Hapur + Luchuk and pick for Nikita Zeitsev + Brown + Carcone

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I honestly knew that PD will f*** up a Ceci dump trade, by taking Toronto's garbage truck. Fans who thought they will rejoice the day Ceci is traded will now be subjected to years of Toronto's problems.....never underestimate the power of PD to f*** it up.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
How does Brown even help the Senators. Seems like they've got 2nd/3rd line tweeners locked down for about the next decade already.

The plus to him will be measured by what we deal him for down the line.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
So Leafs fans are better armchair GM's than we are?

We got the absolute most expendable asset the Leafs possessed in return for taking Zaitsev. And we gave them a 3rd as a tip.

Zaitsev may be fine for us, who knows. The bottom line is the trade is just another in a long line of puzzling, real dollar motivated moves by our inept front office.

Well, better than me anyways as I watched zero leaf games if they weren’t playing us.

I dunno, I’m not puzzled by the trade at all, it seems pretty straight forward hockey deal.

I’ve said my piece, I’m looking forward to seeing how these guys play out this year.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Well, better than me anyways as I watched zero leaf games if they weren’t playing us.

I dunno, I’m not puzzled by the trade at all, it seems pretty straight forward hockey deal.

I’ve said my piece, I’m looking forward to seeing how these guys play out this year.
If you haven't watched Zaitsev then your stance makes a lot more sense.

What a treat you have waiting for you. You could look at the numbers, but that'd be inconvenient. Thank you for sharing your admittedly uninformed opinion amongst us. It really ads to the discussion.

Reactions: Deku

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
How does Brown even help the Senators. Seems like they've got 2nd/3rd line tweeners locked down for about the next decade already.

The plus to him will be measured by what we deal him for down the line.
Zsmith and a 2nd round pick for a cap dump that is signed for longer but makes less....Frees up money to lock down his replacement in Brown??

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
Here’s the thing, if we have to be conscious of money, I don’t mind giving picks for money here and there. Essentially PD paid a 3rd to get Z and Hainsey for just Z money.

I don’t put money issues on the GM, his job is to make sure we have NHL players playing in the team, and right now we need to protect and develop the kids properly as a top priority. We NEED some experience on the back end, and they need to be affordable, and hopefully even have some upside or value that can be flipped down the road, instead of walking away after being priced out.

I don’t think we need to be overly concerned with Zs NTC, there will always be teams interested in a top 4 RD (if he pans out) and given that we won’t be a playoff team for a while he’d likely accept a deal to most playoff teams. An NTC is no reason to change the deal, what that extra 3million gets spent on a quality vet D who can also be flipped for a pick. All that is also not to mention that Z becomes a bit more valuable as an asset when his contract becomes 3.9 million each year as well.

None of this is ground breaking. It was in essence a small deal that has become a mountain out of a molehill type thing I think.

The first part about GM and franchise money is fair. I actually have a huge problem with having to "sell" picks, I hate it, but for the Sens that is the reality so it makes sense. Its a joke that we have to.

We seem to agree that Zaitsev needs to be T4D for the trade to be successful. I'm not confident of that but am willing to wait.

I also find it weird that Melnyk bashed the Leafs D and now we have the D & PK coach, top PK forward (deployment), key PK D pairing (deployment).

Reactions: Ice-Tray

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Zsmith and a 2nd round pick for a cap dump that is signed for longer but makes less....Frees up money to lock down his replacement in Brown??
Well we know they like to take care of the role players first and the star players second (or not at all), so wouldn't be surprised to see him get some stupid ZSmith like contract next summer.

Like we've been saying, the nickel and diming of the budget on replacable role players is beginning again already... the whole reason we had to rebuild in the first place.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
View attachment 241885

Its funny to watch you defend Dorion's moves as he continues to get dunked on by every GM and finish dead last.

I think this is another area where you and I diverge FQL.

I’m not defending PD, I don’t need or want to at this moment because nothing has happened worthy of that.

I am suggesting that we should perhaps allow our new players play a little before we pass firm judgement on how bad the trade is. I mean in the end we added two players at the cost of a 3rd, there’s not much at stake here but a little patience.

So your lovely picture is really depicting me as a lone fish suggesting we hold off on immediate judgement of the trade until we’ve had a chance to see the guys play. I suppose that mean the rest of the fish prefer snap judgments followed by harsh condemnation. I think I might actually be right.... hmmmmm

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Well we know they like to take care of the role players first and the star players second (or not at all), so wouldn't be surprised to see him get some stupid ZSmith like contract next summer.

Like we've been saying, the nickel and diming of the budget on replacable role players is beginning again already... the whole reason we had to rebuild in the first place.
We cant afford the top end stuff,this much should be plain as day...So we rearrange the bottom end guys to make it look like we are actually trying ...Lol EM team building 101

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
But Micklebot, if Ceci is garbage, impossible to trade him for anything else than another "overpaid D-man" (3.9 per x 5 years though which is like very close to the NHL average salary nowadays). The only other solution would have been letting him walk for nothing. All this is according to what I have read on this very board for 2-3 years of course.

Brown is only 25 y/o and can play both wings. He gives a bit more time for young prospects to develop. He will still have value after this season (still RFA). Hopefully he has a great season (like Tierney) and they can be flipped for good assets.

Tkachuk-White-Ryan
Duclair-Tierney-Brown
Smith-Pageau-Davidsson
Paul/Boedker/Balcers/Veronneau

Brown, Batherson, Chlapik, Norris, Abramov, Formenton, Gruden still developing. Some will be called up during the season and stick with the club (could make it out of camp too)

There's no point of competing this year (and well very unlikely when you spend 50% of what the average NHL team does). 3 first and 2 seconds in the next draft, who all should be top-45 with the Sens pick probably top-5 in one of the best drafts in a long time.

Sorry, I read this board too much (not much anymore lol). According to that, a hot potato is a major upgrade on Ceci.
Im not saying trade ceci for something great i am saying don't lock yourself into 5 years of a minor upgrade on Ceci. Bad is better than really bad but both should be avoided.

Brown is a decent player but he is not exactly a coveted piece to entice us into taking on a bad contract. We can get that type of player without doing so.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
If you haven't watched Zaitsev then your stance makes a lot more sense.

What a treat you have waiting for you. You could look at the numbers, but that'd be inconvenient. Thank you for sharing your admittedly uninformed opinion amongst us. It really ads to the discussion.

Absolutely! I love watching hockey, not pie charts and bar graphs.

I’m going by what I have read in the leaf board, and what a bunch of fans have told us, who took the time to come over to our board and tell us about the players we were getting.

Mostly I have suggested waiting to see how they do on our team, it’s what I’ll be doing, and I’m suggesting it as an option to others.

I know it’s a minority type of post as of yesterday and today, but that’s ok, it’s nice to have a little variety, no?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
We cant afford the top end stuff,this much should be plain as day...So we rearrange the bottom end guys to make it look like we are actually trying ...Lol EM team building 101
Well, it ain't gonna work as we know.

You don't win with 3rd liners and borderline top 4 dmen.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I think this is another area where you and I diverge FQL.

I’m not defending PD, I don’t need or want to at this moment because nothing has happened worthy of that.

I am suggesting that we should perhaps allow our new players play a little before we pass firm judgement on how bad the trade is. I mean in the end we added two players at the cost of a 3rd, there’s not much at stake here but a little patience.

So your lovely picture is really depicting me as a lone fish suggesting we hold off on immediate judgement of the trade until we’ve had a chance to see the guys play. I suppose that mean the rest of the fish prefer snap judgments followed by harsh condemnation. I think I might actually be right.... hmmmmm
Okay, so we just have to wait and see how the next 5 years of Zaitsev play out before making any judgements.

Maybe in 2022 it'll all come together for Zaitsev and he'll play average NHL defense in his 30s. We may lose Tkachuk and Chabot before then but at least we won't have made any swift judgements

r/EnlightenedCentrism

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The first part about GM and franchise money is fair. I actually have a huge problem with having to "sell" picks, I hate it, but for the Sens that is the reality so it makes sense. Its a joke that we have to.

We seem to agree that Zaitsev needs to be T4D for the trade to be successful. I'm not confident of that but am willing to wait.

I also find it weird that Melnyk bashed the Leafs D and now we have the D & PK coach, top PK forward (deployment), key PK D pairing (deployment).

Oh trust me, I don’t like it either, but it’s not like I can do anything about it, and it’s being done as a workaround to try and improve the team, so....

As far as the last bit, EM said some dumb stuff on air, what’s nice is that PD and the management team clearly don’t follow what EM says and thinks, and that is a relief.

Reactions: West Coast Eagles

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Oh trust me, I don’t like it either, but it’s not like I can do anything about it, and it’s being done as a workaround to try and improve the team, so....

As far as the last bit, EM said some dumb stuff on air, what’s nice is that PD and the management team clearly don’t follow what EM says and thinks, and that is a relief.

We traded a 3rd rounder so they would pay the bonuses for us. Where do you think that mandate came from ?

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
In a way the Senators sort of bought their own pick back by taking the 3.5M the Leafs paid to Zaitsev and using it to sign Hainsey who will definitely be on the move at the deadline.

The deal probably ends up being draft pick neutral for the Senators in the end. Maybe even slightly positive.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Okay, so we just have to wait and see how the next 5 years of Zaitsev play out before making any judgements.

Maybe in 2022 it'll all come together for Zaitsev and he'll play average NHL defense in his 30s. We may lose Tkachuk and Chabot before then but at least we won't have made any swift judgements

r/EnlightenedCentrism

I dunno, I think I can get at least a reasonable idea of why we have after watching him play a few games for us, maybe a dozen or so? I don’t think we have to wait 5 years.

I also don’t think we’re in any danger of losing BT or TC. Dollars wasn’t an issue with our other stars walking, by all accounts we offered the same or more dollars, but we’re not able/willing to match NMCs and massive bonus structures (though we did have bonus money in our offers).

Z is not going to prevent us from signing our stars, other things may, but not a roster player.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

r/EnlightenedCentrism
At what point do people get to say I told you so. 2 years? 5 years? 10 years?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
So what about Wolanin and White???We gonna sign them???Or are we trading them too???

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009

What? Have you been paying attention at all?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We traded a 3rd rounder so they would pay the bonuses for us. Where do you think that mandate came from ?

The budget? Sure, but I doubt EM is in the room telling PD to trade pick for bonuses. PD knows what he’s allowed to spend, and he has to ice a team within those constraints.

In fairness to PD I think most teams wait until bonuses are paid before trading... we also got dinged with this with Heater way back when...

I don’t think that’s just an Ottawa thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad