Speculation: Coaching Search - Part III: Dan Bylsma deal "imminent"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
The main reason I wanted Babcock is that I knew that he would create a top-down coaching structure that would impact the entire organization (Pro & Minor).

I don't really have that confidence in any other candidates. I hope they prove me wrong.

The coach works for the GM. If you trust Murray then trust the coach. Coach and GM need to have the same thinking.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
It's interesting hearing from Jay M about him changing up systems and tweeking things mid game.

You hear from Pens fans that he is stubborn, won't change lines up, flaws here ands there, etc etc. I think I'll take the details from Jay at full value rather than some pissed off Pens fans.

Like others have said, every fan base has gripes about their current coach. Whether it's playing a hot goalie or sticking with the starter, bringing a defensive game with an Ovechkin like talent, not enough TOI for a superstar, etc.

Agreed - it's hard to decipher out of all the Pittsburgh (and some non-Penguin) fans commentaries what is objective and fact versus subjective and opinion. Granted, former players can have the same positive or negative slant, based on personal experience with a former coach, but in this case, McKee sounds like he's speaking more on behalf of concerned Sabre fans what he sees as a good fit, just like some of the Pittsburgh media interviews of late. I lean more on those kinds of assessments and trust Murray's judgment as well about the kind of coach he wants and the core needs.

So should we believe Dreger or Bucky?

@StepnerWKBW: I'm told Dan Bylsma is meeting with the #Sabres today about their head coach vacancy per league source.

Dreger said in the WGR interview that Bylsma was in Buffalo today - so I guess that confirms what everyone knows already: his information is better than Gleason's.

And we can always fire the next coach too if the results aren't there.

Very true - and I don't think Murray would be shy about pulling the plug on a hire he made if it doesn't work out as he originally thought it would. He's too eager to build a winning team to let things slide or go off track.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Just across the ESPN bottom scroll:

San Jose to name Peter DeBoer coach by end of the week per LeBrun

Scratch him off the list, yay.

Wow, knowing he is off the market is a huge relief.

And here's the tweet for proof:

To say this news is a relief is a monumental understatement - I was nervous the day Friedman first suggested Murray would interview DeBoer....

:handclap: :thumbu: :clap: :banana: :hockey: :highclap: :vhappy: :towel:

If I'm a Sharks fan, I'd start bracing for more underachieving days ahead....

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
To say this news is a relief is a monumental understatement - I was nervous the day Friedman first suggested Murray would interview DeBoer....

:handclap: :thumbu: :clap: :banana: :hockey: :highclap: :vhappy: :towel:

If I'm a Sharks fan, I'd start bracing for more underachieving days ahead....
C'mon, the Devils are not the greatest team. They act as if they are near competing but they are drowning in lack of depth and up front talent. What DeBoer did with that underachieving Devils team is quite impressive and with the talent the Sharks have you might see the Sharks turn a new face.

I also find it funny that they chose DeBoer over Bylsma, doesn't look good on Bylsma.

Karate Johnson*

The main reason I wanted Babcock is that I knew that he would create a top-down coaching structure that would impact the entire organization (Pro & Minor).

I don't really have that confidence in any other candidates. I hope they prove me wrong.

It's pretty pessimistic to think nobody but Babcock is capable of coaching a hockey team.

Everyone would prefer Babcock, but I'm willing to give whoever we hire a chance since winning and losing is going to come down to talent and goaltending like it always does.

radar493

Mar 26, 2015
C'mon, the Devils are not the greatest team. They act as if they are near competing but they are drowning in lack of depth and up front talent. What DeBoer did with that underachieving Devils team is quite impressive and with the talent the Sharks have you might see the Sharks turn a new face.

I also find it funny that they chose DeBoer over Bylsma, doesn't look good on Bylsma.

I agree. Players still make coaches look good or bad. I prefer Bylsma though. For all we know They figured Bylsma and Sabres is a done deal. It has been reported that he wants the Sabres job. We'll see shortly probably.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I think at this point, any remaining candidate lacks the flash and enticement that babcock offered. I am fine with whoever, as long as they meet GMTM's needs and goals. Overall, i am just not that excited about the remaining candidates

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

Or Bylsma might have told them he was interested in looking at other options - there are always two sides to any courtship. None of us knows how desperate DeBoer, Wilson or Bylsma are to committing.

For all we know They figured Bylsma and Sabres is a done deal. It has been reported that he wants the Sabres job.

That could also be a factor - the Sharks maybe didn't want to get into a competition for Bylsma and DeBoer may not have been pursued by another team.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I'd be surprised if it wasn't Bylsma for Buffalo at this point.

As for San Jose...as a part-time Sharks fan, I'm not overly excited about that hire. :laugh:

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
At this point I'm starting to get antsy about this. It really is time to pull the trigger on a coach. You have the combine that your team is hosting coming up next week. The coach you choose has a staff he has to fill and get up to speed on the team's management culture. They also have to make living arrangements. You also have a AHL department you have to staff.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
At this point I'm starting to get antsy about this. It really is time to pull the trigger on a coach. You have the combine that your team is hosting coming up next week. The coach you choose has a staff he has to fill and get up to speed on the team's management culture. They also have to make living arrangements. You also have a AHL department you have to staff.

Plenty of time for all of that. Hell, the 2014 season isn't even over yet. The only thing on that list with an actual date that matters is the combine, but that's Murray's department, not the coach's.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Like most previously-fired coaches, DeBoer is a mixed bag. But he certainly doesn't deserve the "OMG, so glad we didn't hire him" stuff. On the good side of the ledger, NJ was an excellent possession team for all but his final season there. He and his agent can market his time in NJ pretty well: "The only time he had two stars on his team (Kovy and Parise), he was two wins from the ultimate prize. Then Parise left. Then Kovy left. And what was left was an aging roster." They also played an exciting forechecking style for the first couple years in NJ. On the bad side of the ledger, he effectively cost the Devils a playoff spot in 2013-14 by, for some unexplained reason, being beholden to Brodeur and giving him 39 starts when they had Schneider, who is awesome. Many Devils fans also said he picked favorites among the young guys (Merrill, Severson) while blackballing others (Gelinas, Larsson) even when performance necessitated playing the latter two more.

I think he'll do pretty well in SJ. He won't have to play as conservatively because he has a far better roster. I think the Sharks will have a nice little bump next season.

Or the Sharks knew they were his third choice of the three teams after him, one of whom's GM is his former boss and would provide him an opportunity to coach in the division in which he's most familiar, while the other is stacked with young talent and an owner who'll pay more.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Like most previously-fired coaches, DeBoer is a mixed bag. But he certainly doesn't deserve the "OMG, so glad we didn't hire him" stuff. On the good side of the ledger, NJ was an excellent possession team for all but his final season there. He and his agent can market his time in NJ pretty well: "The only time he had two stars on his team (Kovy and Parise), he was two wins from the ultimate prize. Then Parise left. Then Kovy left. And what was left was an aging roster." They also played an exciting forechecking style for the first couple years in NJ. On the bad side of the ledger, he effectively cost the Devils a playoff spot in 2013-14 by, for some unexplained reason, being beholden to Brodeur and giving him 39 starts when they had Schneider, who is awesome. Many Devils fans also said he picked favorites among the young guys (Merrill, Severson) while blackballing others (Gelinas, Larsson) even when performance necessitated playing the latter two more.

I think he'll do pretty well in SJ. He won't have to play as conservatively because he has a far better roster. I think the Sharks will have a nice little bump next season.

Or the Sharks knew they were his third choice of the three teams after him, one of whom's GM is his former boss and would provide him an opportunity to coach in the division in which he's most familiar, while the other is stacked with young talent and an owner who'll pay more.

It has been mentioned a few times that Florida wanted to hire Bylsma last year but he wanted more money then they wanted to pay so they went with Gallant. The SJ owner made a comment earlier about not overpaying. Might be a case where it didn't fit financially between SJ and Bylsma.

Karate Johnson*

"DeBoer snubs sinking Sabres, selects San Jose" -The Buffalo News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad