Speculation: Coaching Search - Part III: Dan Bylsma deal "imminent"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Bylsma will have to prove my disdain wrong before I like him as HC. I just don't like him, his irritating resemblance to Jay Carney, and most of all that he was with the Penguins. I really hope the media is wrong again on this one.

Not liking someone because they resemble another person is a pretty dumb reason.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Well, if Bylsma is their guy and that the the direction they're taking it now - I guess I'm going to have to accept that Tim Murray has determined that he's the best fit. I am not particularly fond of Bylsma, though I admit that most of my disdain stems from my perception that he should have been able to do much more with a team that include Crosby and Malkin.

Last edited:

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
Anyone but Bylsma - If i have to hear the answer " Well we just have to get back to our game " when a reporter asks why Buffalo lost and what do you need to do to get back in the win column.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
No. He is a bad coach. You can just tell by his stupid face.

claude-julien.jpg

Right?

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Here's a question. Bylsma obviously has some faults, we've covered what they are quite a bit. That said, if the Sabres were to hire him, who would be some ideal candidates to bring in alongside of him to supplement his flaws? Who are some assistant coaches or staff members out there who would work well with both the team and with Bylsma in order to help cover up some of his faults?

Ever since he quit playing I've always wanted Mike Grier to be part of the coaching staff.

radar493

Mar 26, 2015
I don't understand why so many fans think because they liked a former player they want them as a coach. That's not to say former players can't make good coaches but that is certainly not the sole criteria.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
5-27: TSN DARREN DREGER SAYS SABRES JOB IS HIGHLY SOUGHT AFTER ON WGR (10:01)

@WGR550
@DarrenDreger on WGR now

Dreger on Sabres coach watch: "Dan Bylsma might be meeting with Buffalo as early as today"

Dreger: "San Jose also still has interest in Bylsma and Ray Shero has the connection in New Jersey, so Tim Murray

has some work to do"

Dreger: "If I were an owner or general manager with a young, developing team, I'd take a close look at Dan Bylsma"

Dreger: (The Sabres job) is highly sought after. People see what's coming and they like this team"

Karate Johnson*

So..... Let's say it leaks that we make an offer to Bylsma and then he signs a deal with San Jose....

Ugh I hate myself

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

Some noteworthy comments from a former player who was neither a superstar nor a role player:

He found Bylsma blunt, approachable – “You felt like you could go to him,†he said – and a “real good teacher.†Bylsma treated the Penguins’ fourth-liners the same way as his superstars.

“He taught the systems well, he changed it up quite a bit,†McKee said. “He really involved the players a lot in a lot of meetings. It wasn’t like it was his way or the highway; he was real good with communicating with players, getting their input, having a good vibe on the pulse of the team. He found ways, whether it was video, certain things during practice.â€

“He was a guy you could talk to,†he said, “if that’s what you want to categorize as a players’ coach. … He was … just blunt, like, ‘This is the game plan that’s going to give you the best chance to win.’ … We’d come in after the first period, if guys weren’t playing the system, he wasn’t going to walk around screaming and yelling.â€

“I think because with the young players that are growing and developing, you need good structure, you need good teaching,†McKee said. “You need a guy players feel like they can speak to, and I feel he’s that kind of guy. There’s a lot of attention to detail. There’s a lot of changing things up mid-game. It’s not just one system all game long. Heâ€ll change things on the go. … I think he would be a good fit right now for what this team is in.â€

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Some noteworthy comments from a former player who was neither a superstar nor a role player:

It's interesting hearing from Jay M about him changing up systems and tweeking things mid game.

You hear from Pens fans that he is stubborn, won't change lines up, flaws here ands there, etc etc. I think I'll take the details from Jay at full value rather than some pissed off Pens fans.

Like others have said, every fan base has gripes about their current coach. Whether it's playing a hot goalie or sticking with the starter, bringing a defensive game with an Ovechkin like talent, not enough TOI for a superstar, etc.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@StepnerWKBW: I'm told Dan Bylsma is meeting with the #Sabres today about their head coach vacancy per league source.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
The main reason I wanted Babcock is that I knew that he would create a top-down coaching structure that would impact the entire organization (Pro & Minor).

I don't really have that confidence in any other candidates. I hope they prove me wrong.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
And we can always fire the next coach too if the results aren't there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad