Speculation: Coaching Search - Part III: Dan Bylsma deal "imminent"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Kind of annoying rehash of Harrington's repeated blog rants - he made a big deal of the Sabres thinking they had a deal in principle and were "miffed" when Babcock rejected them, despite Murray's denial of such, and also pointed out that Babcock was "turned off by the many layers surrounding Pegula", even though Murray said that it was just him, the Pegulas and Babcock in negotiations.

He also threw in as if it he had some omniscient prediction that Babcock's wife not joining him on the trip to Buffalo was telling. According to all the reports, she also didn't tour Toronto with him.

Refreshing, objective analysis by a media member who was very familiar with Bylsma's time in Pittsburgh. Most of the criticisms on Bylsma seems to come from resentful Penguin fans that blame him for their team's failures - but media members seem to consistently praise Bylsma as a good coach.

I'm not a pitt fan in the slightest and was the opposite of impressed by Bylsma in Pittsburgh.

Totally weird how the hard hitting sports media says nice things about a guy who is from all accounts pleasant with the media and potentially taking over a job that said reporter would need to cover. Not for nothing but I wouldn't trust most media members opinions on coaches and players for a variety of reasons, from a lack of viewings, lack of technical knowledge and to the benefit of having good relations in the business.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
I'm not a pitt fan in the slightest and was the opposite of impressed by Bylsma in Pittsburgh.

Totally weird how the hard hitting sports media says nice things about a guy who is from all accounts pleasant with the media and potentially taking over a job that said reporter would need to cover. Not for nothing but I wouldn't trust most media members opinions on coaches and players for a variety of reasons, from a lack of viewings, lack of technical knowledge and to the benefit of having good relations in the business.

As long as you apply that same criteria to fans. Most of them know absolutely nothing about the game.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
You don't think his job is safe once this team goes from intended basement to playoff team? They'll fire the next coach after an early exit like everyone else does. The GM doesn't get canned in those situations.

[mod]

I don't think he's going to be pushed into hiring a coach because he thinks he'll be able to fire him in a few years... that's ridiculous.

He's going to hire a coach who he believes can develop the talent he's building within a system that fits the type of team he is building. No other speculation is needed.

He's definitely not doing this:

I think the exact opposite. I think he will hire whoever Pegula backs without a fight knowing that the odds are a new coach will be replacing them in a few years to get them to the next level, like every team does. Then not only does he get to make that call...it doesn't reflect on him anyway. Besides as long as the team is back in the playoffs in a few years Murray doesn't have anything to worry about in the slightest. He got to last like they wanted...when that results in success he easily gets another coach hire...

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
I don't think he's going to be pushed into hiring a coach because he thinks he'll be able to fire him in a few years... that's ridiculous.

He's going to hire a coach who he believes can develop the talent he's building within a system that fits the type of team he is building. No other speculation is needed.

He's definitely not doing this:

Yeah, I would hope Murray has higher standards than just throwing in a guy. I am a huge Murray fan but if he picks the wrong coach that will be a huge strike against him.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I certainly won't turn my nose up at Julien or Bylsman, and I sort of hate the argument between the two where either camp suggests the other is worthless. They'd both be just fine.

As for the other guys if he wants to go with a more developmental coach, I like Murray and Stevens, but I really don't know enough about any of them to have much of an opinion. In GMTM I trust

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
As for other suitors of Bylsma, Puckdaddy thinks it's foregone conclusion:

The Devils have permission to speak to him as well, even if it already happened in Prague. From Tom Gulitti of the Bergen Record, skepticism on the Bylsma/Ray Shero reunion in Jersey:

Don't get carried away on the Bylsma thing. Shero talked to him already while at world championships. Things could change but don't expect Bylsma and Shero to reunite in NJ. Buffalo seems far more likely.

Which brings us to Buffalo.

There are glaringly obvious reasons why Bylsma and the Sabres are a fit. There’s the fact that Buffalo is slowly becoming the cradle of USA Hockey, and Bylsma is a prominent part of that program. There’s the Jack Eichel connection, as Bylsma coached him as an assistant at the world championships in Prague; and while Sidney Crosby was a bit more fully formed when Bylsma got him in Pittsburgh, he knows from coaching young star players.

But let’s be honest here. One of the main reasons this is a match is Terry Pegula, who will meet whatever price Bylsma is asking for if Murray wants him; and after Mike Babcock spurned the Sabres for the Toronto Maple Leafs, one assumes Pegula would like to have a coach with some prominence and a Stanley Cup to his credit over, say, an AHL coach like Luke Richardson, who is also expected in the mix.

It's not exactly breaking news that the man likes to make a splash

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...marriage-to-the-buffalo-sabres-125416091.html

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
As for other suitors of Bylsma, Puckdaddy thinks it's foregone conclusion:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...marriage-to-the-buffalo-sabres-125416091.html

This does not jibe with how Pegula operates. Babcock was the target because Murray put him on the list as a target, not because Pegs wanted to burn 50 million just for fun.

Pegula also let Whaley lead the coaching search for the Bills and while present, let Whaley ask the football and philosophy fit questions.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
This does not jibe with how Pegula operates. Babcock was the target because Murray put him on the list as a target, not because Pegs wanted to burn 50 million just for fun.

Pegula also let Whaley lead the coaching search for the Bills and while present, let Whaley ask the football and philosophy fit questions.

He did say he'd throw money at Bylsma "if Murray wants him."

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

Re-read the excerpt that I boldfaced - Puckdaddy noted the Pegula factor as being one only if Murray wants a guy.

Bps21*

You aren't seriously suggesting that Doug Whaley was the driving force behind Rex Ryan. They come across as two people who still haven't even had a conversation lol. Please...Terry...hire this guy who is reporting to you instead of me...I'm begging you.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Here is an article from Michael Pachla at the site we do not name. It is a good read on Bylsma with quotes from a few ex Pens about the systems they ran. It sounds like they were too complex and he may have favored the vets because they had a better grasp on them. This would be his biggest point of change he would have to focus on with a young team. If he is able to simplify his systems and adapt in game then I think he is a good fit but that is probably what Murray will have to gauge from an interview. How much has he learned from past failures and how will he adapt.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Michael-Pachla/BylsmaBuffalo-inevitable/209/68890

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Here's a question. Bylsma obviously has some faults, we've covered what they are quite a bit. That said, if the Sabres were to hire him, who would be some ideal candidates to bring in alongside of him to supplement his flaws? Who are some assistant coaches or staff members out there who would work well with both the team and with Bylsma in order to help cover up some of his faults?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Pegula Jet in Harrisburg, PA ... Is that where Bylsma is?

He's a big contributor--at least was in the past--of the Republican Party in Pennsylvania. Given that he's in their state capital, he may be there on that business. Alternatively, there may be some fracking meetings on the political agenda for which he wants to put in his two cents.

I don't see a single reason why Bylsma would ever be in Harrisburg, but I suppose anything is possible.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
You aren't seriously suggesting that Doug Whaley was the driving force behind Rex Ryan. They come across as two people who still haven't even had a conversation lol. Please...Terry...hire this guy who is reporting to you instead of me...I'm begging you.

Yes, I am. I read every article and interview about this and came to that conclusion. Your view of Pegula as the rich novice making the decisions I haven't seen anywhere other than ekland on hockeybuzz.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Here's a question. Bylsma obviously has some faults, we've covered what they are quite a bit. That said, if the Sabres were to hire him, who would be some ideal candidates to bring in alongside of him to supplement his flaws? Who are some assistant coaches or staff members out there who would work well with both the team and with Bylsma in order to help cover up some of his faults?

Granato was his assistant in Pittsburgh, working the PK and with the defensemen. He also was tasked with working with the defensemen under Babcock last season. Along with those attributes, I would think that he'd be an experienced voice as a former HC and player known for his work ethic.

As for the offensive side to manage the PP and attack, Oates worked well in Washington though he has no history with Byslma.

Ultimately, coaches often seem to choose their assistants based on working familiarity and mesh of personalities.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Here is an article from Michael Pachla at the site we do not name. It is a good read on Bylsma with quotes from a few ex Pens about the systems they ran. It sounds like they were too complex and he may have favored the vets because they had a better grasp on them. This would be his biggest point of change he would have to focus on with a young team. If he is able to simplify his systems and adapt in game then I think he is a good fit but that is probably what Murray will have to gauge from an interview. How much has he learned from past failures and how will he adapt.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Michael-Pachla/BylsmaBuffalo-inevitable/209/68890

This is the type of analysis I've been looking for - input from players and people who followed him closely, focused solely on the system he uses, which is apparently complex. The most scary part is the recent Bylsma interview where his answers indicate that he isn't changing his beliefs regarding that system anytime soon.

This actually made me want him as coach even less. It definitely jibes with what everyone who followed him closely has been saying about him.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Bylsma's system really sounds like Lindy Ruff's later systems to me. This team is too young to have a system where so many odd man rushes against are generated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad