Speculation: Coaching Search - Part III: Dan Bylsma deal "imminent"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Bettman has a ton of shortcomings. Hockey will never be the NFL, but it could be marketed way better.

He's not an outside the box thinker.

They need a new direction.
I bet you think the President makes every decision in Washington too.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I like the idea that some posted earlier in the thread about McKee possibly getting an assistant's job if it's Bylsma. Having a defenseman as an assistant would do wonders for all of the young D the Sabres have - it worked well when Ramsey and Numminen were on board in the past.

I don't know much about Mckee, i didn't even know he wanted to coach.

But i'd be pretty surprised if Granato wasn't one of his assistants, DB and Granato are close.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Well, I figure Tim Murray will really think hard about who he hires. It will be his first coaching hire. And likely the one that could get him fired if he fails.

With Babcock out of the way, Boucher, Bylsma, Deboer seem like the next level of candidates that have a solid NHL coaching track record.

A lot of people say "Richardson". But I'm wondering if Murray can even afford to go with an unproven NHL coach at this point.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Well, I figure Tim Murray will really think hard about who he hires. It will be his first coaching hire. And likely the one that could get him fired if he fails.
I hope so. I really don't want a coach to be hired this week. Will be especially annoying if it's Bylsma sometime in the next 7 days because it will feel like we just went to the next big fish and didn't do our due diligence.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Regarding compensation, it is quite simple

The NHL has said that teams have the right to seek compensation for coaches and executives under contract.

There is no guaranteed 3rd round pick. In fact - there is no guarantee of anything at all.

Generally speaking - if a coach or executive on a team is still actively part of that organization - the team will seek some compensation if the coach or executive is going to be signed by another team. The two teams will have to agree on that compensation. In the case of Mike Babcock - the price was agreed to be a 3rd round pick. Remember that Babcock was still under contract, was the current head coach of the Red Wings AND the Red Wings were trying to retain his services.

In the case of a guy like Bylsma - the Pens relieved him of his duties. However, they are still paying $1 or 2 million or whatever he was supposed to be paid per his contract. He is not actively a part of their organization and is a pure financial liability. So, when a team like Buffalo comes a callin' - they usually will be happy to rid themselves of the salary. Once a fired coach who is still under contract gets hired by another team - the original team is off the hook.

Technically, they do have the right to seek compensation but the the team that is trying to sign Bylsma has the right to tell them to go pound sand and walk away. I suppose if Buffalo wanted Bylsma so badly they could possibly be coerced into a compensatory pick or even payment. In most cases, however, the team paying the fired coach will be happy to be relieved of the financial burden of paying a fired coach will be happy to just move on.

Last edited:

Karate Johnson*

I hope so. I really don't want a coach to be hired this week. Will be especially annoying if it's Bylsma sometime in the next 7 days because it will feel like we just went to the next big fish and didn't do our due diligence.

So when Murray was on the radio saying he has spoken to guys before and after Babcock he was lying and was just looking at pictures of Bylsma on the Internet?

Are you of the opinion that the only time Murray does anything is when it is tweeted about?

Bps21*

With Babcock out of the way, Boucher, Bylsma, Deboer seem like the next level of candidates that have a solid NHL coaching track record.

A lot of people say "Richardson". But I'm wondering if Murray can even afford to go with an unproven NHL coach at this point.

I think the exact opposite. I think he will hire whoever Pegula backs without a fight knowing that the odds are a new coach will be replacing them in a few years to get them to the next level, like every team does. Then not only does he get to make that call...it doesn't reflect on him anyway. Besides as long as the team is back in the playoffs in a few years Murray doesn't have anything to worry about in the slightest. He got to last like they wanted...when that results in success he easily gets another coach hire...

Karate Johnson*

I bet you think the President makes every decision in Washington too.

The structure of the United States government and the NHL league office are nothing alike.

And we weren't talking about "every decision"

Super clever response though.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
The teams are still paying these fired coaches. The coaches are removed from their positions but the contract remains in effect. If a team is gonna keep paying a guy to coach another team, they want compensation, or at least they're allowed to pursue compensation.

The old NHL contract ends when the coach gets a new NHL job. If Bylsma lands the Buffalo job - he will be paid only by Buffalo and not by Buffalo and Pittsburgh.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
And yet Fleury's playoff numbers under Therien and Johnston are significantly better than his under Blysma... But systems and coaching don't matter :sarcasm:
1.97/.933/.700 - cup run with Therien
Then and bunch of garbage under Blysma... And then right back to:
2.12/.927/.800 - this year under Johnson

But hey... Let's not place consistently giving up high percentage scoring chances, while consistently NOT creating said chances on the coach, especially when his predecessor and successor had no where near as much trouble

and neither won a cup. :sarcasm:

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I don't know much about Mckee, i didn't even know he wanted to coach.

McKee was an assistant under Rolston for 1 season in Rochester before being let go for philosophical differences - and was the assistant coach in Erie the past season. He still lives in Buffalo, IIRC.

But i'd be pretty surprised if Granato wasn't one of his assistants, DB and Granato are close.

Granato was one of Babcock's assistants in Detroit last season so one can assume he might be headed to Toronto to join him. He also apprenticed under Quenneville and has HC experience in 2 stints in Colorado - so he's an appealing option if Bylsma is in fact the eventual hire for Buffalo.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
So when Murray was on the radio saying he has spoken to guys before and after Babcock he was lying and was just looking at pictures of Bylsma on the Internet?

Are you of the opinion that the only time Murray does anything is when it is tweeted about?
I've brought up many times he was looking before and during Babcock for other candidates. But if the team goes out and hires Bylsma a few days after interviewing him it would pretty annoying. Murray also said that the searches aren't very extensive at this point because of the scouting meetings so I'd say most of their non Babcock stuff hasn't been very intensive.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I think the exact opposite. I think he will hire whoever Pegula backs without a fight knowing that the odds are a new coach will be replacing them in a few years to get them to the next level, like every team does. Then not only does he get to make that call...it doesn't reflect on him anyway. Besides as long as the team is back in the playoffs in a few years Murray doesn't have anything to worry about in the slightest. He got to last like they wanted...when that results in success he easily gets another coach hire...

That's a doozy

Bps21*

You don't think his job is safe once this team goes from intended basement to playoff team? They'll fire the next coach after an early exit like everyone else does. The GM doesn't get canned in those situations.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
5/25/2015 9:31 Mins
[nhl]825688[/nhl]

Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News joins NHL Live to discuss the team's current search for a new head coach, and how Mike Babcock ended up in Toronto.

Kind of annoying rehash of Harrington's repeated blog rants - he made a big deal of the Sabres thinking they had a deal in principle and were "miffed" when Babcock rejected them, despite Murray's denial of such, and also pointed out that Babcock was "turned off by the many layers surrounding Pegula", even though Murray said that it was just him, the Pegulas and Babcock in negotiations.

He also threw in as if it he had some omniscient prediction that Babcock's wife not joining him on the trip to Buffalo was telling. According to all the reports, she also didn't tour Toronto with him.

Refreshing, objective analysis by a media member who was very familiar with Bylsma's time in Pittsburgh. Most of the criticisms on Bylsma seems to come from resentful Penguin fans that blame him for their team's failures - but media members seem to consistently praise Bylsma as a good coach.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
I think it's pretty much a slam dunk that Bylsma will coach this team.

There is no way a rookie coach will be at the helm of this team.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
So is Bylsma a good puck possession coach or not? I hear he upgraded Therrien's system, improved puck possession and won a cup. Then I hear he is a "dump and chase" coach from Pittsburgh fans and some sports writers.

Can someone help me out with this? Which is it?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
So is Bylsma a good puck possession coach or not? I hear he upgraded Therrien's system, improved puck possession and won a cup. Then I hear he is a "dump and chase" coach from Pittsburgh fans and some sports writers.

Can someone help me out with this? Which is it?

He didn't change Therrien's system when he took over that year. It was the years after. It's pretty hard to change much in season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad