Speculation: Coaching Search - Part III: Dan Bylsma deal "imminent"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
There is a huge difference between the Babcock situation and Bylsma relative to draft pick compensation.

Babcock was still under contract and retention of his services was still part of Detroit's plans. Allowing him to speak with other teams prior to termination of the contract is a legit use of compensation, IMO.

Bylsma - while under contract to the Pens - was relieved of his duties. The Pens have the right to negotiate compensation - but IMO should just be happy to be relieved of his contract.

The clear difference is the the Red Wings still wanted Babcock while the Pens do not want Bylsma.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
How do you fire a coach and get a 3rd round pick if he goes to another team? Who signed off on that rule?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Pegula should just sign a coach ..fire him...sign a coach...fire him..sign a coach..fire him. Make it so no good available coaches are available and we can collect about 3 3rd rounders a year.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
My guess is Tim Murray has always wanted Luke Richardson. I'm OK with that. Murray is the GM. I trust his decision.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
So in bizarro world .... A team who wants Ted Nolan would owe the Sabres a 3rd round pick... Right?

not automatically...would be up to the team to determine if they wanted compensation or to just get him off the books... But yes.. it's possible in bizarro world.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
How do you fire a coach and get a 3rd round pick if he goes to another team? Who signed off on that rule?

I don't think it is a rule so much as it is a guideline - that teams can seek compensation for coaches and executives currently under contract. Seemingly, it was meant to apply to those with active roles within the organization but was either poorly written or intentionally ambiguous. So technically yes - a team can seek compensation for Bylsma or Nolan or any other fired coach with term left on the contract. Doesn't mean they will or that they will get anything.

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
not automatically...would be up to the team to determine if they wanted compensation or to just get him off the books... But yes.. it's possible in bizarro world.

What? Given the uproar on these boards that the Sabres fired, I can't believe teams aren't beating down their door for permission to talk to him and willing to offer a 3rd if they sign him

dugman

Mar 21, 2008
What? Given the uproar on these boards that the Sabres fired, I can't believe teams aren't beating down their door for permission to talk to him and willing to offer a 3rd if they sign him

Do bantam house leagues even have a draft?

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I'm not giving up a pick on principle. It's a joke. He's out of hockey. He's so good nobody wanted him last year.

Karate Johnson*

I don't think it's Bettmans fault that teams get compensation for fired coaches....

But if that's what they want to get rid of him for there are plenty of other reasons to do it.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

Pens fan here, i posted this on the pens board, i figured it would interest you guys.

Seems like a pretty decent chance Bylsma will end up being your teams coach.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Babcock ****ed us, there's really no one out there.

the NHL makes no sense how do you fire a coach and receive compensation???

Bettmans gotta go

The teams are still paying these fired coaches. The coaches are removed from their positions but the contract remains in effect. If a team is gonna keep paying a guy to coach another team, they want compensation, or at least they're allowed to pursue compensation.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

Pens fan here, i posted this on the pens board, i figured it would interest you guys.

Seems like a pretty decent chance Bylsma will end up being your teams coach.

I like the idea that some posted earlier in the thread about McKee possibly getting an assistant's job if it's Bylsma. Having a defenseman as an assistant would do wonders for all of the young D the Sabres have - it worked well when Ramsey and Numminen were on board in the past.

Karate Johnson*

:biglaugh:

Low hanging fruit when fans blame Bettman for any and all things wrong with the league.

Bettman has a ton of shortcomings. Hockey will never be the NFL, but it could be marketed way better.

He's not an outside the box thinker.

They need a new direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad