Speculation: Coaching Search - Part III: Dan Bylsma deal "imminent"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Not possible in Leaf land. They think Brendan Shanahan, with no NHL scouting or front office experience, is better than Tim Murray.

I do worry about the Dubas guy. If the Leafs are going all in on advanced analytics, I hope the Sabres don't fall behind.

The Leafs biggest weapon is Mark Hunter who will run their drafts. He is a tremendous talent evaluator and Babcock said Hunter is one of the major reasons he went to Toronto.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
The Leafs biggest weapon is Mark Hunter who will run their drafts. He is a tremendous talent evaluator and Babcock said Hunter is one of the major reasons he went to Toronto.

That sounds great and all but drafting players for the OHL is different than drafting players for the NHL. Sure, there are qualities that can help the transition but that is a much lower league. He could turn out great. He is an unknown at the NHL level. Players who do well in one league aren't always going to be good at the highest level. This is like hiring an AHL coach. Sometimes you get John Cooper, other times you get Dallas Eakins.

Meanwhile, Tim Murray who is laughed at by Leaf fans has been doing it for decades in the NHL and has a proven track record there. I take Tim Murray over Brendan Shanahan as GM any day of the week. By committee approaches still need someone to pull the trigger. Shanahan has zero scouting and front office experience in the NHL.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yeah, that is great news. I want a coach that is open-minded and flexible and willing to learn. Analytics without application is useless. Another dream, what if Bylsma has been studying analytics to roll out a new system altogether? Look at the numbers and determine how best to dominate possession. It seems like all NHL teams are being pulled towards systems where forwards can defend and defense can attack. Buffalo has a stable of young talent that can do that.

Bylsma + a new data driven analytics approach with his time off sounds like it could be better than people are saying.

Hopefully he has been studying what works and what doesn't. Someone posted an article touching on that very thing.

That he'd been studying lots of video on how teams do things. What works, what doesn't and why.

Last edited:

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Hopefully he has been tudying what works and what doesn't. Someone posted an article roughing on that every thing. That he'd been studying lots of video on how teams do things. What works, what doesn't and why.

Tim Murray also mentioned that even old school coaches come to interviews with breakdowns on systems, usage of players, and analytics. They are all looking to wow their potential employer.

Whatever he has learned I am sure he will try to show how he can use these players better than another coach. Murray is also known as a tough interviewer. I expect he will have probing questions for Bylsma on his prior usage of players. I really would love to listen to that interview.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Hopefully he has been studying what works and what doesn't. Someone posted an article touching on that very thing.

That he'd been studying lots of video on how teams do things. What works, what doesn't and why.

I hope he's "born again"

Karate Johnson*

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...a-first-round-draft-pick/stories/201505240137

"If the Sabres decide to hire Bylsma, that conceivably could fuse with Buffalo’s willingness to part with the latter of its first-rounders to trigger an intriguing sequence of events: The rights to a coach the Penguins no longer want could end up being one element of a trade package that would enable them to acquire the first-round selection they crave."

There are some Peguins fans that think we will send our 21st pick to them if we hire Bylsma.

Nope.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...a-first-round-draft-pick/stories/201505240137

"If the Sabres decide to hire Bylsma, that conceivably could fuse with Buffalo’s willingness to part with the latter of its first-rounders to trigger an intriguing sequence of events: The rights to a coach the Penguins no longer want could end up being one element of a trade package that would enable them to acquire the first-round selection they crave."

There are some Peguins fans that think we will send our 21st pick to them if we hire Bylsma.

Nope.

wut?

One thing has nothing to do with the other.

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005

Nope.

aren't the Sabres required to give a 3rd rounder ?

how in the hell does that become a 1st round pick !?

Karate Johnson*

aren't the Sabres required to give a 3rd rounder ?

how in the hell does that become a 1st round pick !?

It was a 3rd for Babcock.... Not sure of the compensation for Bylsma, if any.

But that article said that Pittsburgh should try to get the 21st pick in a trade with Bylsmas rights as part of the package.

I think the whole thing is dumb, but would you be surprised if a couple of Pens fans run with it and it becomes Bylsma for 21st... I've heard a few already mention it. A text from a dumb friend brought it to my attention.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
If Pitt seeks compensation (which its not a given they will) it will be for a 3rd round draft pick...

f it’s an offseason hire for either a president of hockey operations, a GM or a head coach, it’s a third-round pick that goes the other way for a guy that’s under contract. If it’s an in-season hire, it’s a second-round pick.

For a coach, the season ends as soon as his season ends but for a GM or president of hockey operations, the draft is the cutoff for in-season/offseason.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...n-this-offseason-for-hiring-away-coaches-gms/

Karate Johnson*

Sweet. I didn't know the rules. I was just passing along the info, like I said the whole premise was dumb.

Bps21*

Maybe it was a poorly written way of saying...if they hire Bylsma maybe they'd be more interested in acquiring a former player or two for the pick we want.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Maybe it was a poorly written way of saying...if they hire Bylsma maybe they'd be more interested in acquiring a former player or two for the pick we want.

The article is saying they should include Bylsma's rights in a package to get the Sabres first round pick. Besides being dumb, I don't even know if the league would allow it.

Bps21*

The article is saying they should include Bylsma's rights in a package to get the Sabres first round pick. Besides being dumb, I don't even know if the league would allow it.

Well...it just means trading the rights to a third round pick back. Like...we give you that third back and player x. You give us 21. Who knows what he was thinking....he did a terrible job articulating it.

Karate Johnson*

Is the 3rd round comp limit was for Babcock? Any 3rd over the next 3 years?

Also, is it any 3rd you own, or the teams original 3rd?

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Babcock was the only no-brainer coaching decision out there, IMO. Now that he is gone - I believe that Murray will be conducting a thorough search and interview process amongst those he considers viable candidates.

Reports I've seen - and discussion here and on the main board - seem to conclude that since the Sabres missed on Babcock and McLellan, they are driven to make a splash with the next guy on the list. I think that nothing could be further from the truth. I believe that Murray will hire the guy who he thinks will be the best equipped to develop the young talent, keep the overall goals of the team in play and eventually grow with the team to be a consistent contender for the Stanley Cup

My two favorites are Luke Richardson and Kevin Dineen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad