Speculation: Coaching Search - Part III: Dan Bylsma deal "imminent"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
I don't have as much "seared in brain" criticism of Deboer. Just haven't seen him coach as much as Blysma and Boucher.

It's funny to me that the only 2 coaches I really don't like, both currently are defended with some variation of "they learned a lot about their ****** systems, and we can assume they corrected for it...and so they won't be as bad now" narrative

It takes awhile for people to see what coaches are generally bad at, NHL coaching is mostly a retread heaven...people are finally starting to come around on "good" coaches like Torts or Carlyle because they haven't adapted...but someone will always think about giving them another chance. I'd be shocked if we weren't Bylsma's - based on the fact that he's a "name" and the Pegula's love the Pens organization...he'll get glowing recommendations from anyone they ask.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
So you're willing to ignore their results just because of how you think they played in each series? Because going by their results, they didn't regress.

I am ignoring their regular season point totals as benchmarks for their success.

What I'm saying regressed was their competence and preparation for competing against the top teams in the league.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I am ignoring their regular season point totals as benchmarks for their success.

What I'm saying regressed was their competence and preparation for competing against the top teams in the league.

I didn't say anything about their regular season. They progressed in the playoffs.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
One of the things that scares me about Blysma, is that when his guys lose their composure, he had a real tough time to reel them in and focus on the task at hand. I had no problem with the system he implemented. I had no issue with some of the lines.

What I had issue with, when teams, and mainly Philly got under the skin of the Penguins it was tough for Pittsburgh to get back on track with their game. And sure, the first time it happened I can understand it caught them off guard. But games and years after it started to happen, it was an inevitable that Philly and whatever team it was that they were going to start getting under their skin. Blysma just didn't have the answer for their antics. Philly didn't seem to have as much of a easy time against anybody else. And it's not like Pittsburgh was a powder puff team, because they weren't, but it does speak volumes in the locker room when your coach does nothing about it.

For a team that was built for a mixture of a gritty style of play and an aggressive forecheck type of game, he seemed to rely on the finesse type of game. He also seemed to have trouble finding a player to take Jordan's role, up until Sutter finally developed enough to become good at it.

I'm not sure how much development Blysma had in his players' careers, but he did inherit a team that had the bulk of the core at the point where they took hold of the team and ran with it.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I respect your opinion, you know more this than me. Who are your top 3 candidates?

My #1 has always been Claude Julien if we can get him. The more I look at John Stevens I like him, but LA wont let him go.

My post from page 1 of the first "the search continues thread":

1. Heavily prefer Claude Julien
2. if it can't be Julien, please let it be someone with experience developing talent and implementing an effective system in today's game
3. but definitely not Blysma or Guy Boucher
4. If it has to be a newbie, at least it's not Blysma or Guy Boucher

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
It takes awhile for people to see what coaches are generally bad at, NHL coaching is mostly a retread heaven...people are finally starting to come around on "good" coaches like Torts or Carlyle because they haven't adapted...but someone will always think about giving them another chance. I'd be shocked if we weren't Bylsma's - based on the fact that he's a "name" and the Pegula's love the Pens organization...he'll get glowing recommendations from anyone they ask.

I can't see Pittsburgh giving glowing recommendations

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
People aren't giving Terry and Kim Pegula enough credit. They aren't just looking for the big name. They will interview a bunch of people and hire the one that fits best.

Rex Ryan wasn't even at the top of their list. Kim said they were surprised when they met with him how impressive he was. One of the big things that got Rex the job was he wanted to bring in Greg Roman as OC. The Pegulas interviewed Roman for the head coach job and loved him. So Rex and Roman combo was a no brainer.

They will do the same here.
But Rex was the big name (of what was available, at least). Pegula has shown that he's easily 'wowed' by big names. Which I find a little concerning.

Meanwhile, I snarkily espouse 'Classic.' towards people who think they know the slighest thing about any of these coaches by watching recent hockey. It's about on par with repeatedly saying 'I need coaches/players who won a Cup, pedigree', etc...

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
But Rex was the big name (of what was available, at least). Pegula has shown that he's easily 'wowed' by big names. Which I find a little concerning.

Meanwhile, I snarkily espouse 'Classic.' towards people who think they know the slighest thing about any of these coaches by watching recent hockey. It's about on par with repeatedly saying 'I need coaches/players who won a Cup, pedigree', etc...

I would put Torts way over Bylsma in the big name category.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
:facepalm:

I've made a few posts laying it various aspects of his coaching (systems , player usage, etc) and why I'm not a huge fan. But for you its been simplified into the obsessive focus on MAF. I'm going to go out on a limb and say you have no clue about his coaching approach or how he goes about things. Thats why you're obsessing on such a small part of what I posted (MAF) because you feel like you kind of know whats going on there. How about fleshing out an argument as to why Bylsma is a great coach and we should be excited to hire him. Instead of wasting time with hyperbolic arguments over MAF. Its been understood for some time the Pens have played crappy team defense the last several years. Some argue its personnel or a poorly constructed team, some argue its the coach and some argue its a combo of both. What do you think and why? Or are you going to tell me MAF sucks and they didn't have issues defensively again?

lol I don't really have that strong of an opinion either way to be honest. I picked out one point because it I felt it was a flawed premise of your argument. I watched that series intensely and at no point felt it was the defensive scheme causing MAF to struggle the way he did. My point has been I have seen defences struggle as much as the Pens D has, and the goalies have never collapsed like MAF did. Pretty funny how offended people get when people don't agree with you on a message board though..

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Did it without his stars.

Crosby suffered a concussion in early January and Malkin tore the ACL and MCL in his right knee in early February. Yet the Penguins have gone 20-11-5 since then when both stars are out of the lineup.

“Obviously they’re doing some things right without those two lineup in the lineup,” Caps forward Troy Brouwer said. “Just because you don’t see 71 [Malkin] or 87 [Crosby] in the lineup, it doesn’t mean that they’re not a very good hockey team.”

Dan Bylsma’s team proved last year it was good, not falling off when Malkin was lost for the season. The Penguins actually finished with 106 points and made the playoffs, on the strength of players like Kris Letang, Chris Kunitz, Tyler Kennedy and Jordan Staal. And, of course, goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury, who led them to the 2009 Stanley Cup.

“They still have a ton of really good players. Their goaltending is awesome. They all work extremely hard,” Caps defenseman Karl Alzner said. “A lot of them have won a Cup, so they know what it takes to win.”

Winning is an attitude, but it also takes talent. With Kunitz and Staal able to step up, and acquisitions like James Neal filling holes, general manager Ray Shero made sure this wasn’t a two-man team on offense.

“On every team you have your few superstars, and in their case they have two of the best in the league,” Brouwer said. “The other guys get overshadowed as a result of it. They got a lot of good guys throughout that lineup, a lot of guys who can score, a great supporting cast.”

It seems like the Penguins have almost gotten used to playing without Crosby and Malkin. They’re 26-13-6 since Crosby went out with the concussion problems.

But with a bit of a different team this year, not much has changed. Pittsburgh started the season with a three-game Western Canada swing with stops in Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton and returned home to face the Panthers. They have yet to lose a game in regulation despite Malkin missing the two most recent games with a “lower-body injury.”

“They’re just good,” Caps coach Bruce Boudreau said. “They’re a difficult team to play against. There’s a reason they’re 3-0-1, too, starting with the first three on the road out west. When you can do that, you got a good team.”

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ns-evgeni-malkin-sidney-crosby/#ixzz3b60wUFSZ
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Bps21*

Out of curiosity how many total games were lost for Crosby and Malkin during his run there?

bretzky29ca*

It's certainly inevitable that the Buffalo Sabres will be naming Dan Bylsma as the team's next head coach, but I'll throw three alternative names out at you, and discuss to what you think.

Robert Kron-One of the more respected coaches in Europe, would be an outside the box hire, but his NHL playing experience could do wonders.

Bob Boughner Said to apparently not be enthralled with dipping his feet in the NHL waters, but his junior record is legendary.

[/Don HayB] A jerk to the media, but younger players love playing for him and the glutiny players he's developed over the years, ie Lucic, Gallagher,Franson etc etc makes him an intriguing option for the Sabres position, no?

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
Out of curiosity how many total games were lost for Crosby and Malkin during his run there?

By my count, they missed 200 regular-season games from 2010-14 (Crosby 115, Malkin 85).

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Not that I want him to be our coach but any thoughts on Randy Carlyle? He did manage to have the Leafs in a playoff spot before being fired then they became one of the worst teams in the league (in part to a change in philosophy that didn't fit the players) He had some mixed success in Anaheim but it looks poor that the three seasons following his departure the team has finished 1st in the Pacific. Simply a name that has barely been mentioned compared to the same candidates that we keep regurgitating.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

No need to project your inabilities on others.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
If its Bylsma, Mckee probably comes in with him and helps PK and D, but who would we want as assistant for PP and offense? Adam Oats? Seems like that would be a very important hire.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Did it without his stars.

As a Pens fan who has always liked Buffalo, I really hope you guys do not hire Bylsma.

For the first 3 or so years of Bylsma's tenure, the players pretty much unanimously bought into his system and played their ass off every game for him. Unfortunately, his system wasn't very good. There are Pens fans who will say he was bad because he didn't use their preferred line combos like playing Iginla's corpse with Crosby, but if that was an issue is is way down on the list (many of the same Pens fans have extensively complained about line combos under Johnston as well). Simply, Bylsma either does not understand the game well enough tactically or is too stubborn to adjust, and either should be a death sentence in the modern NHL. If you watched the Pens under Bylsma play against a well-structured team defensively like BOS, NJ, or LA, they couldn't score to save their lives as the Pens forwards were often suffocated with no support entering the zone when the other team sat back and allowed no chances for an odd man rush.

And none of this mentions how his team (both the Pens and the US) had a tendency to collapse and get blown out in the playoffs. Bylsma may help a team reach the playoffs, but if you ever imagine your team being a serious contender, stay far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad