Speculation: Coaching Search - Part III: Dan Bylsma deal "imminent"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I am on board with Bylsma. I always thought MAF let those Penguins teams down in the playoffs.

It's worth pointing out that Therrien for 3+ seasons beat defensive commitment into the Pens. Everyone from Crosby/Malkin on down bad to buy in or he was on them. It was a big reason for their uptick as a team and run to the Finals.

When Bylsma took over in season from Therrien he pretty much kept what was already in place going with some minor tweaks. The emphasis on team defense remained. In the years that followed the Cup win. the commitment to team defense was not a focus like it was under Therrien. It's not something Bylsma focuses on as a coach. At best he would trot out a passive 1-2-2 when defense was needed or play the handful of defensively capable vets more than they should. The result come playoffs was a lot of pressure was put on MAF to bail them out. I don't think it's a coincidence he struggled.

I think the flawed roster defense doesn't make much sense when you look at the rosters Therrien worked with and was able to get to commit to playing defense.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Jay McKee @JayMcKee74 · 2h 2 hours ago
Dan Bylsma to meet with the Sabres. For what it's worth, I thought he was an exceptional coach. Loved going to the arena every day under him

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
It's worth pointing out that Therrien for 3+ seasons beat defensive commitment into the Pens. Everyone from Crosby/Malkin on down bad to buy in or he was on them. It was a big reason for their uptick as a team and run to the Finals.

When Bylsma took over in season from Therrien he pretty much kept what was already in place going with some minor tweaks. The emphasis on team defense remained. In the years that followed the Cup win. the commitment to team defense was not a focus like it was under Therrien. It's not something Bylsma focuses on as a coach. At best he would trot out a passive 1-2-2 when defense was needed or play the handful of defensively capable vets more than they should. The result come playoffs was a lot of pressure was put on MAF to bail them out. I don't think it's a coincidence he struggled.

I think the flawed roster defense doesn't make much sense when you look at the rosters Therrien worked with and was able to get to commit to playing defense.

Im sorry but you cant actually argue that MAF's struggles were a result of Byslma's system. Thats absurd. The goals he was letting in were one's that should have been stopped by PeeWee goalies. It was just atrocious goal after atrocious goal. I don't buy the added pressure part either. Playoffs bring added pressure by themselves, so you better be ready for it, thats not on Bylsma. As another poster pointed out (BPS?) the series they got swept they had a 1.5% shooting percentage and even outshot their opponent that series. In what universe does that give MAF a free pass?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Bylsma's star players disappeared and a his system/scheme was dismantled in 4 consecutive post seasons by Martin, Boucher, Laviolette and Julien.

I'm terrified that his "pitch" along with the possible desire to hire a "name", ends up getting him the job... Because there's no way his "tape" gets him the job.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
In the constant Babcock/Blysma comparisons (records, h2h, etc)... It's worth noting that lidstrom, dats and zetterberg never turned on bans... It only took a few years for Blysma to lose a veteran room, and two super stars along with it

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I'm still not understanding why people say Pittsburgh underachieved with Bylsma.

I don't think they underachieved.

I think Blysma consistently got outcoached in the post season. I think his lack of scheme, shift and line adjustments was a huge component of that.

I also think he failed to ever develop anything resembling growth from his team and the individual players on it.

And he somehow found a way to "lose the room" on a veteran team only a few years removed from a cup that he was lucky enough to Barry Switzer on to his resume.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
So, I have thought about this a bit.

We currently have a completely blank coaching staff. No discernible system in place. One of the reason I wanted Babcock was I felt he would be a good person to implement a franchise wide system.

That being said, I would much rather bring in a coach who is technically knowledgeable and can implement a system. The coach needs to have the players respect, but they don't need to like him.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Im sorry but you cant actually argue that MAF's struggles were a result of Byslma's system. Thats absurd. The goals he was letting in were one's that should have been stopped by PeeWee goalies. It was just atrocious goal after atrocious goal. I don't buy the added pressure part either. Playoffs bring added pressure by themselves, so you better be ready for it, thats not on Bylsma. As another poster pointed out (BPS?) the series they got swept they had a 1.5% shooting percentage and even outshot their opponent that series. In what universe does that give MAF a free pass?

Its not about absolving MAF for every goal he gave up or blaming Bylsma for all of them either. When you don't commit to playing team defense or to defense in general like you used to do. The goalie is going to face better quality scoring chances more often than they did previously when you were committed to these things. This puts the goalie under more pressure (regular season and playoffs) then in previous years. Its a pretty straightforward principle that doesn't really require buying into.

And you can stop with the silly hyperbole of atrocious goal after atrocious goal. You may want to re-watch the highlights of some of the playoff games MAF has played over the years. I watched the highlights from several games from last years' playoffs. Most goals were either an unchallenged shot in a prime scoring area because the defense was backing in. Or that shot was from a player wide open in a prime scoring area because the defender lost their man or no one bothered to pick the player up in coverage. The defensive coverage was terrible (worse than I remembered to be honest). One consequence of this was MAF was cheating a lot and got beat because of it. But he was cheating due to lack of faith in his defenders. Something thats fairly common with goalies when their team is floundering defensively in front of them. Too much is made out of the handful of crap goals he gave up to excuse the terrible team defense the Pens have been playing for years under Bylsma.

Last edited:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I don't think they underachieved.

I think Blysma consistently got outcoached in the post season. I think his lack of scheme, shift and line adjustments was a huge component of that.

I also think he failed to ever develop anything resembling growth from his team and the individual players on it.

And he somehow found a way to "lose the room" on a veteran team only a few years removed from a cup that he was lucky enough to Barry Switzer on to his resume.

To me this seems like a biased opinion because many coaches "loose the room". Why even mention that.

Babcock also took over a great roster, much better than the Pens IMO. So again I dont understand that point.

The 1st part I cant argue. I don't really know what his coaching philosophy is.

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
In the constant Babcock/Blysma comparisons (records, h2h, etc)... It's worth noting that lidstrom, dats and zetterberg never turned on bans... It only took a few years for Blysma to lose a veteran room, and two super stars along with it

I don't know where you got the facts from but there is a interview of Crosby denying having issues with the coach. But in all reality how do we know. We aren't in the locker room.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I don't know where you got the facts from but there is a interview of Crosby denying having issues with the coach. But in all reality how do we know. We aren't in the locker room.

Even if true he wouldnt be the 1st coach fired for losing the room.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Their D was never deep enough and they didn't do well when it came to the physical aspects of the playoffs.

Anyone that watched Orpick/Niskanen play fantastic defense for the Caps this year (especially in the playoffs) knows the players weren't the issue it was the coaching. Ironic in light of the ridicule they got for being part of a "non-playoff" defense.

Last edited:

radar493

Mar 26, 2015
I'm not, but I know that McKee has aspirations of coaching in the NHL.

I would think he does. I have heard him say as much. Bottom line is the Blysma dislike here is not substantiated very convincingly. I really have no strong feelings one way or the other but I lean more toward he's a good coach rather than a bad one. Jame seems over the top with his dislike for him, so much so I think it's not in line with what little information I have read about the coach .

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
I would think he does. I have heard him say as much. Bottom line is the Blysma dislike here is not substantiated very convincingly. I really have no strong feelings one way or the other but I lean more toward he's a good coach rather than a bad one. Jame seems over the top with his dislike for him, so much so I think it's not in line with what little information I have read about the coach .

I agree with you on this point and it's not as if he's incapable of learning and evolving into a better coach from his previous experience as the HC of the Pens. If he's ultimately hired by Murray, I'd be fine with it.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I'm not, but I know that McKee has aspirations of coaching in the NHL.

One Buffalo!!! ‏@SabreBills_716 May 21
@JayMcKee74 call Tim Murray!!, have you thought about being a coach with the Sabres?

Jay McKeeVerified account
‏@JayMcKee74
@SabreBills_716 Way ahead of you, but thanks for your concern..

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
I don't mind Blysma. He's not ideal, but I'd prefer him over someone with no NHL experience right now. Let's see if he's evolved.

All of the guys I want have jobs.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Its not about absolving MAF for every goal he gave up or blaming Bylsma for all of them either. When you don't commit to playing team defense or to defense in general like you used to do. The goalie is going to face better quality scoring chances more often than they did previously when you were committed to these things. This puts the goalie under more pressure (regular season and playoffs) then in previous years. Its a pretty straightforward principle that doesn't really require buying into.

And you can stop with the silly hyperbole of atrocious goal after atrocious goal. You may want to re-watch the highlights of some of the playoff games MAF has played over the years. I watched the highlights from several games from last years' playoffs. Most goals were either an unchallenged shot in a prime scoring area because the defense was backing in. Or that shot was from a player wide open in a prime scoring area because the defender lost their man or no one bothered to pick the player up in coverage. The defensive coverage was terrible (worse than I remembered to be honest). One consequence of this was MAF was cheating a lot and got beat because of it. But he was cheating due to lack of faith in his defenders. Something thats fairly common with goalies when their team is floundering defensively in front of them. Too much is made out of the handful of crap goals he gave up to excuse the terrible team defense the Pens have been playing for years under Bylsma.

lmao sure, anyways you wanna slice it...

Take a look at some of the rangers goals this series and the ducks goals. They are in prime scoring areas due to blown defensive coverage. I guess that means Jon Cooper and coach Q are bad coaches too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad