Speculation: Coaching Search - Part III: Dan Bylsma deal "imminent"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
To me this seems like a biased opinion because many coaches "loose the room". Why even mention that.

Babcock also took over a great roster, much better than the Pens IMO. So again I dont understand that point.

The 1st part I cant argue. I don't really know what his coaching philosophy is.

How many coaches lose the room after winning a cup and putting up 100 point seasons with 2 hall of gamers in their prime???

Babcock took over a great roster and also built some of it. And never lost the room along the way

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I would think he does. I have heard him say as much. Bottom line is the Blysma dislike here is not substantiated very convincingly. I really have no strong feelings one way or the other but I lean more toward he's a good coach rather than a bad one. Jame seems over the top with his dislike for him, so much so I think it's not in line with what little information I have read about the coach .

Maybe because I watched every post season game he ever coached, instead of trying to read about him to form an opinion

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Bylsma would be an option that would not generate any celebration but no wrist sliting either.

The most crucial thing is that has he learnt from the mistakes. Many coaches get fired in NHL.

I think that Bylsma never had a veteran core like Babcock had. Pittsburgh has had issues with it's team culture just like San Jose have had with McLellan. And firing Bylsma seemingly didn't fix those, even when they got rid of Neal as well. And I think that a player like Malkin is a lot more to blame of those problems than the coach they have or had have.

Bylsma may not be a coach who can by himself create or maintain a great culture, but I doubt he is the reason for creating a bad one either. Just like McLellan.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Anyone that watched Orpick/Niskanen play fantastic defense for the Caps this year (especially in the playoffs) knows the players weren't the issue it was the coaching. Ironic in light of the ridicule they got for being part of a "non-playoff" defense.

It was kind of hilarious how the Pens cycled through defensemen for years trying to figure out what wrong...

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I've never seen a coach picked apart like Bylsma. I find it interesting. Coaches before and after him did not have better results. Even in the AHL. He had their AHL team playing better than Todd Richards did.

Im surprised by the hate, Ive always thought highly of Bylsma, but I dont break down his coaching decisions like others.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Bylsma would be an option that would not generate any celebration but no wrist sliting either.

The most crucial thing is that has he learnt from the mistakes. Many coaches get fired in NHL.

I think that Bylsma never had a veteran core like Babcock had. Pittsburgh has had issues with it's team culture just like San Jose have had with McLellan. And firing Bylsma seemingly didn't fix those, even when they got rid of Neal as well. And I think that a player like Malkin is a lot more to blame of those problems than the coach they have or had have.

Bylsma may not be a coach who can by himself create or maintain a great culture, but I doubt he is the reason for creating a bad one either. Just like McLellan.

We hope he learned from his mistakes...

Blysma lost the room because the players knew he was hanging them out to dry with his inadequacies and inability to change/adjust.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I've never seen a coach picked apart like Bylsma. I find it interesting. Coaches before and after him did not have better results. Even in the AHL. He had their AHL team playing better than Todd Richards did.

Im surprised by the hate, Ive always thought highly of Bylsma, but I dont break down his coaching decisions like others.

Those playoff series are seared into my brain, you don't forget some of the worst coaching/worst team dismantlings you've ever seen.

The only coach I've criticized more in my life is Lindy Ruff.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
lmao sure, anyways you wanna slice it...

Take a look at some of the rangers goals this series and the ducks goals. They are in prime scoring areas due to blown defensive coverage. I guess that means Jon Cooper and coach Q are bad coaches too.

:facepalm:

I've made a few posts laying it various aspects of his coaching (systems , player usage, etc) and why I'm not a huge fan. But for you its been simplified into the obsessive focus on MAF. I'm going to go out on a limb and say you have no clue about his coaching approach or how he goes about things. Thats why you're obsessing on such a small part of what I posted (MAF) because you feel like you kind of know whats going on there. How about fleshing out an argument as to why Bylsma is a great coach and we should be excited to hire him. Instead of wasting time with hyperbolic arguments over MAF. Its been understood for some time the Pens have played crappy team defense the last several years. Some argue its personnel or a poorly constructed team, some argue its the coach and some argue its a combo of both. What do you think and why? Or are you going to tell me MAF sucks and they didn't have issues defensively again?

Last edited:

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
I don't know too much about bylsma, but he sounds like the type of coach that really requires a tactician as one of his assistants. Am I off on that assumption?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I lived in Pittsburgh or penguins territory for the entirety of Bylsma. He was a very bad coach with a tremendous team. He was exposed repeatedly in the playoffs and in general when adversity hit.

He survived as long as he did because he won a cup on the back of another coaches culture and two hungry superstars. remember the team he took over was a serious contender before he got there and after the cup win they regressed every year.

To take a chance that he figured out all his weaknesses, knowing he had significant problems less than a year ago with an excellent roster, is a ridiculous risk to take.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I lived in Pittsburgh or penguins territory for the entirety of Bylsma. He was a very bad coach with a tremendous team. He was exposed repeatedly in the playoffs and in general when adversity hit.

He survived as long as he did because he won a cup on the back of another coaches culture and two hungry superstars. remember the team he took over was a serious contender before he got there and after the cup win they regressed every year.

To take a chance that he figured out all his weaknesses, knowing he had significant problems less than a year ago with an excellent roster, is a ridiculous risk to take.

That's just simply not true.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I don't really know much about Deboer. Can those that like and dislike him tell me why? I keep seeing his name pop up from time to time as in the mix

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

3 questions matter:

1. Is he tactically competent and relevant?
2. Does he develop talent?
3. Can he motivate and maintain a locker room?

I was ******* for Babcock because I feel he is one of the few who checks all the boxes without question

I don't think Blysma checks any of them

radar493

Mar 26, 2015
Okay. Think I have read a lot of posts over past weeks. Conclusion I have reached is that Mike Babcock is overrated and Blysma is underrated. Final conclusion: We are fans and just don't know as much as we think we do. ;)

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Okay. Think I have read a lot of posts over past weeks. Conclusion I have reached is that Mike Babcock is overrated and Blysma is underrated. Final conclusion: We are fans and just don't know as much as we think we do. ;)

Speak for yourself :wink:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Please explain? I'm not referring to their overall point totals, but their playoff success or more specifically how they played in the playoffs.

As has been mentioned by others they struggled year after year against any team that came close to them in talent and as a team they absolutely got worse at dealing with different playstyles or adjusting their own style to win.

I would argue they haven't put together a legit playoff run since they lost to Boston several years ago.

I wouldn't put it all on Bylsma, but after watching him closely, I think he was a significant cause of the team's style and coherent strategy getting lost, and becoming ineffective in the playoffs.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Please explain? I'm not referring to their overall point totals, but their playoff success or more specifically how they played in the playoffs.

As has been mentioned by others they struggled year after year against any team that came close to them in talent and as a team they absolutely got worse at dealing with different playstyles or adjusting their own style to win.

I would argue they haven't put together a legit playoff run since they lost to Boston several years ago.

I wouldn't put it all on Bylsma, but after watching him closely, I think he was a significant cause of the team's style and coherent strategy getting lost, and becoming ineffective in the playoffs.

So you're willing to ignore their results just because of how you think they played in each series? Because going by their results, they didn't regress.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
all the reasons jame hates Bylsma pretty much apply to him as well

I don't have as much "seared in brain" criticism of Deboer. Just haven't seen him coach as much as Blysma and Boucher.

It's funny to me that the only 2 coaches I really don't like, both currently are defended with some variation of "they learned a lot about their ****** systems, and we can assume they corrected for it...and so they won't be as bad now" narrative

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
3 questions matter:

1. Is he tactically competent and relevant?
2. Does he develop talent?
3. Can he motivate and maintain a locker room?

I was ******* for Babcock because I feel he is one of the few who checks all the boxes without question

I don't think Blysma checks any of them

I dont know. Look at that leadership in Detroit. Rare IMO. I guess we can credit Babcock for that, but I dont know.

Where Babcock blows away Bylsma seems to be tactically. But again, having your best offensive players also being your best defensive players, its rare. Makes life easy.

Developing talent I really think is a tough one. People said Lindy didn't, which IMO makes no sense. I think its more about GM getting the right young talent.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
I don't have as much "seared in brain" criticism of Deboer. Just haven't seen him coach as much as Blysma and Boucher.

It's funny to me that the only 2 coaches I really don't like, both currently are defended with some variation of "they learned a lot about their ****** systems, and we can assume they corrected for it...and so they won't be as bad now" narrative

You'd better get on the horn to TM and tell him not to bother wasting his time interviewing either one. :laugh:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

I respect your opinion, you know more this than me. Who are your top 3 candidates?

My #1 has always been Claude Julien if we can get him. The more I look at John Stevens I like him, but LA wont let him go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad