Coaching is a serious problem.

Jul 6, 2016
There are plenty of "tough bad communicators" today.

If you think MSL & Tremblay have anything in common other than the fact that their first NHL HC job was in Montreal, I'd suggest that your assessments are way off, and probably lead to poor takes about the state of the Habs coaching staff
As I stated, Tremblay was from old school - Bowman type hockey- and a weak communicator. Their personnalities are totally different. But why would we bash Tremblay and not MSL for not having any real coaching experience before getting behind an NHL bench ?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
As I stated, Tremblay was from old school - Bowman type hockey- and a weak communicator. Their personnalities are totally different. But why would we bash Tremblay and not MSL for not having any real coaching experience before getting behind an NHL bench ?
"Bashing" any coach because of their perceived, or actual lack of coaching experience is pointless... Lots of poor takes on a message board, is what it is.

Tremblay was a bad coach, who didn't help advance the organization either on immediate results not in young player development... that's why he was criticised.

MSL is doing an excellent job at stewarding the development of our young core... Which is what the organization direction and emphasis is. The "bashing" of his coaching impact thus far is ungrounded and incoherent.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

Why would you bash Tremblay for not having any real coaching experience, out of everything that was wrong with him why pick that one thing?

Jul 6, 2016
Why would you bash Tremblay for not having any real coaching experience, out of everything that was wrong with him why pick that one thing?
What I am saying is everyone bashed Tremblay when he was hired and all along his stay behind the bench. Outside the Roy’s fiasco, he had a good record. On the other end, folks are really patient with MSL. He is a media darling. His coaching shortcomings are rarely questioned.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
What I am saying is everyone bashed Tremblay when he was hired and all along his stay behind the bench. Outside the Roy’s fiasco, he had a good record. On the other end, folks are really patient with MSL. He is a media darling. His coaching shortcomings are rarely questioned.
I think his coaching shortcomings are starting to be evident and people are starting to question.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

I see. There is one thing tho, having a good record doesn't make you a good coach, good record correlate closer to good roster than coaching prowess.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
"Bashing" any coach because of their perceived, or actual lack of coaching experience is pointless... Lots of poor takes on a message board, is what it is.

Tremblay was a bad coach, who didn't help advance the organization either on immediate results not in young player development... that's why he was criticised.

MSL is doing an excellent job at stewarding the development of our young core... Which is what the organization direction and emphasis is. The "bashing" of his coaching impact thus far is ungrounded and incoherent.
Not trying to be rude, but can you define what he’s done “excellent.” He relates with the players which I would give him all his flowers on. But what has he done that warrants the “excellent” tag you’re giving him as a head coach. What is he doing for the “team” that makes him “excellent” because it certainly isn’t a result or coaching IQ based evaluation.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Not trying to be rude, but can you define what he’s done “excellent.” He relates with the players which I would give him all his flowers on. But what has he done that warrants the “excellent” tag you’re giving him as a head coach. What is he doing for the “team” that makes him “excellent” because it certainly isn’t a result based evaluation.

Development of young players.

Coaching a basement team through several seasons while keeping very high morale & engagement.

Building trust and confidence with young players playing in the biggest hockey fishbowl in the league.

These are tangible results, and none are a given nor easy to accomplish in the context of the situation he's navigating.

If one equates coaching excellence to results (pts, cup win), then sure... No excellence to be found here. Jean Perron and Jaques Demers must then be the two most excellent coaches we've had in the past 40 years.

Coaching excellence, imo, is about far more than those metrics. What you do with the material you're working with is far more important... Even if harder to measure.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Not trying to be rude, but can you define what he’s done “excellent.” He relates with the players which I would give him all his flowers on. But what has he done that warrants the “excellent” tag you’re giving him as a head coach. What is he doing for the “team” that makes him “excellent” because it certainly isn’t a result or coaching IQ based evaluation.

He's coaching an NHL game tonight with a defense of
Strubble -
Barron -
Hutson -
Mailloux -

163 NHL games total.

Romanov, at 300 games, is the only Islander dman with less than double the NHL experience of those 4 combined.

Context. Matters.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Top line doesn't need help. Second line has Dach and Newhook. I'd have liked Roy but understand Laine. The bottom six is packed with vets.

The D I think can use a vet on the right side. It would've been okay trying RB as he probably could've settled things down but now? I think a vet RD isn't a bad idea.

Other than that... no, what the hell do we need more vets for? Demidov, Hage, Beck are all on the wa

Strubble -
Barron -
Hutson -
Mailloux -

163 NHL games total.

Romanov, at 300 games, is the only Islander dman with less than double the NHL experience of those 4 combined.

Context. Matters.
Of course , and for the ones that mentioned Therrien before , would be the same complaining when Hutson don’t see the ice after his penalty.
That coach we have now , took him from box and straight to the ice .
Again , coaching is fine , people’s expectation of this team are not.
We not there yet .
But you can see tonight when talent is on the ice the coaching looks much better

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Of course , and for the ones that mentioned Therrien before , would be the same complaining when Hutson don’t see the ice after his penalty.
That coach we have now , took him from box and straight to the ice .
Again , coaching is fine , people’s expectation of this team are not.
We not there yet .
But you can see tonight when talent is on the ice the coaching looks much better
Yup.

It's quite clear to see, fascinating how such a vocal segment of posters here just don't seem able to see this.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Strubble -
Barron -
Hutson -
Mailloux -

163 NHL games total.

Context. Matters.
I asked you to provide what he’s done excellent. Not make excuses for why he’s done nothing.

Reactions: jackeymoon

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Not sure what part you failed to understand.

If you don't understand coaching, you don't understand coaching...
Again, I’ll ask you to provide what he has done from an X and O coaching point. Anybody can be a players coach. Tell me what he does that makes him a good head coach.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Again, I’ll ask you to provide what he has done from an X and O coaching point. Anybody can be a players coach. Tell me what he does that makes him a good head coach.

? Again, I provided you an explanation that would be easy to understand if you understand coaching. If you think it's only "X & O", then you don't really understand it.

We can move on. Enjoying being mad at the rain for being wet lol

Salbutera offered a good post speaking to the on ice aspects of MSL's impact & approach this far, as identified and easily recognized by retired players. Search function can help you find it, no sense reposting it here.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Gotta say I loved Dach's shootout effort.
f*** OFF MARTY

Young team. Thought they did well under the circumstances, aside from all the penalties.

Dach was shit tonight.

I wouldn't hang your feelings on the games this year based on wins and losses. There will be far more losses than wins.

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
How did everyone love that 3 1/2 minute shift. So MSL, chickens with head cutoff. Badly outplayed, outshot, cycled to death, lol but not a coaching or system problem.

More excuses than a bank robber. Bring up Vincent!

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
a competent coach would have seen that Dach has work to do to get his mojo back and would probably have already switched his linemates. Not MSL

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
a competent coach would have seen that Dach has work to do to get his mojo back and would probably have already switched his linemates. Not MSL
They stink the joint out game after game Pezz still sits. I know he isn’t the answer but he always plays with energy.

No one sits with MSL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad