Confirmed with Link: Coach Pete DeBoer Is Fired

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
It's not I like or don't, it just doesn't make much sense to me...there is no salvaging this season and Lou shouldn't be trying to.

What's the point? The team still sucks as much today as yesterday and not much will change...so I just don't get it.
I don't think this is an attempt to "salvage" this lost season. This is more about sending a message and starting to actually make changes. This is where it begins (hopefully). Cut the crap off and rebuild.

Deboer ****ing sucked and should have been canned yesterday.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
It's not I like or don't, it just doesn't make much sense to me...there is no salvaging this season and Lou shouldn't be trying to.

What's the point? The team still sucks as much today as yesterday and not much will change...so I just don't get it.

I get where your coming from, however if it drags till the end of the season its that much longer before the changes begin. As you know it was PD's way or the highway.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Let's jot down what your top priorities/changes with the new coach are:

1) Development of our younger players including all of Larsson, Gelinas, Merrill, Severson, and Josefson. Next year Boucher and Matteau included.

2) System overhaul. Implement a system that creates team chemistry. This includes working on defensive breakouts, neutral zone to offensive zone entrances, cycling in the offensive zone, odd man rushes, and getting the puck in scoring areas (Slot, circle).

3) Be a leader, but also discipline the team as a whole when needed. Teach the youngsters when they make mistakes, instill leadership qualities in the veterans.

4) Practice the shootout, but most importantly, focus on the skill aspect. Make the players practice lifting the puck, stick handling in front of the goalies etc.

5) Let the players use their skillset. This includes guys such as Severson, Gelinas, Larsson and Merrill.

Any more?

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
I don't think this is an attempt to "salvage" this lost season. This is more about sending a message and starting to actually make changes. This is where it begins (hopefully). Cut the crap off and rebuild.

Deboer ****ing sucked and should have been canned yesterday.

by yesterday you mean two months ago correct?
Thats when he should have canned him.

RNCDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I like PDB as a coach and a person. I think he worked really hard and he was saddled with a total crap heap. I wish him and his family nothing but the best but I understand why he had to go. The message and performance just kept slipping.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Probably overdue but it had to happen. Makes you wonder about the furher details of the (3?) year extention he got at the end of the season and if/how much Toronto may have really been pushing for him and if that had an impact more than we thought on why he was extended.

Last edited:

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
NJD are 26th in FF% this season at 46.7%. They were 8th last year at 52.0% with less talent. The year before we were #1 at 56.4%.

We take significantly more pentialies (we are 2nd to last in Times Shorthanded and we are not that good 5 on 5 and that is being #7 in 5on5 SV%. Last season we were 25th in 5on5 SV%.

Pete should have been fired a month ago.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I like PDB as a coach and a person. I think he worked really hard and he was saddled with a total crap heap. I wish him and his family nothing but the best but I understand why he had to go. The message and performance just kept slipping.

i actually agree with this to an extent. obviously, as was said before, you can't fire a whole team. lou clearly made questionable choices, and PDB had to pay. the strategy worked in '12, we just didn't have the roster for that style again.

it's good though, now the players are exposed and can't hide under pdb as a scapegoat. so if you're STILL bad, you're outta here, and the rest of the league will know it too.

ryder.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Well, now I'm definately going to Monday's game.

Wellllllllllll overdue to pink slip Pete.

Relief that he was finally axed.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Pete is a first class person and he always represented the Devils with class.
But he simply did not win enough hockey games.

He will be coaching in the NHL again.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
A good coach shouldn't have a pre-defined "system" they should adapt to the players they need to use. That's the biggest downfall for PDB, a lack of adaptability to a rapidly changing game and roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad