Trade: [CLE/HOU] Deshaun Watson (signs 5 years, $230M) and 2024 5th for 2022, 2023, and 2024 1sts, 2023 3rd, 2024 4th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
If OJ Simpson was in his prime playing days would you sign him after a jury found him innocent?

Gutting two people and getting some happy endings are not in the same stratosphere. Ray Rice could’ve kept playing but that had a video. Ray Lewis was a bit murky. Of course, Lewis, like Adrian Petersen gets deified by ESPN. I’m also wondering how many civil lawsuits are complete hogwash. I would think some are legit. Usually where there’s smoke there’s fire. However, I’m not thinking some girl is flying across the country to massage him with no type of expectation of anything.

Reactions: fin8

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
FRANK me

had no idea how these guaranteed contracts work compared to other leagues.
Owners have to write a check at time of signing according the CBA for the full amount and send it to the league office where it gets put into escrow according to Rappaport

so Haslem wrote that cheque minus what the amount owed in the season was.
Other owners are pissed at him because the guarantee was so much higher and they can't earn interest on the funds as they are in escrow.

So Bidwell in AZ does not want to write a cheque for $180-$190 at time of signing to Kyler.

So it is called the "funding rule" and owners want it gone as they said they will start issuing more guarantee's as they can earn better ROI on the money and have it paid out over time, instead of the league paying it out.

Last edited:

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
FRANK me

had no idea how these guaranteed contracts work compared to other leagues.
Owners have to write a check at time of signing according the CBA for the full amount and send it to the league office where it gets put into escrow according to Rappaport

so Haslem wrote that cheque minus what the amount owed in the season was.
Other owners are pissed at him because the guarantee was so much higher and they can't earn interest on the funds as they are in escrow.

So Bidwell in AZ does not want to write a cheque for $180-$190 at time of signing to Kyler.

So it is called the "funding rule" and owners want it gone as they said they will start issuing more guarantee's as they can earn better ROI on the money and have it paid out over time, instead of the league paying it out.
I think that kind of rule is also a holdover from past days when there were more owners the PA doesn't trust to avoid bankruptcy. These days, the teams are all so well financed the PA shouldn't worry about these.gusratnees being paid.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
You'd have to be an idiot to give assets for Mayfield right now in my opinion. You know the Browns are going to cut him anyways and there cannot be that many suitors for him. Is he really that good where FOMO comes into play even a little bit? Not really.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
You'd have to be an idiot to give assets for Mayfield right now in my opinion. You know the Browns are going to cut him anyways and there cannot be that many suitors for him. Is he really that good where FOMO comes into play even a little bit? Not really.
I guess it depends on the situation. Does a guy like Rhule feel enough desperation to win now in Carolina to the point where he'll take any upgrade at QB?

I think the draft will settle a lot of this. We'll see what teams draft QBs, and we'll see which other veteran QBs get moved or don't. When the dust settles from the draft, we'll know more about what teams still might need a QB to start the season.

I don't really buy the talk about no owner wanting to help the Browns. We see it in every sport with a cap where some team paints themselves into a corner but is always able to find trade partners to escape true cap hell.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
I guess it depends on the situation. Does a guy like Rhule feel enough desperation to win now in Carolina to the point where he'll take any upgrade at QB?
Possibly. I guess it depends on the degree to which one believes Mayfield is an upgrade.

While he's certainly better than anyone Carolina has, I don't think he's better enough to justify paying that contract since I really don't think Carolina is good enough to win even with Mayfield.
I think the draft will settle a lot of this. We'll see what teams draft QBs, and we'll see which other veteran QBs get moved or don't. When the dust settles from the draft, we'll know more about what teams still might need a QB to start the season.
Agreed. If Carolina doesn't draft a QB they're either waiting for the 2023 draft (which obviously only happens if the front office feels secure about their employment prospects) or looking to scoop up a guy like Jimmy G or Mayfield.
I don't really buy the talk about no owner wanting to help the Browns. We see it in every sport with a cap where some team paints themselves into a corner but is always able to find trade partners to escape true cap hell.
I agree entirely. In this business relationships are important so bridges are not deliberately burned unless necessary. If a deal can be found to benefit both teams it will be made. Would I do it? Absolutely not, but my job prospects do not depend on such a deal being made.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I don't think any coach is daft enough to think Baker Mayfield tilts it enough for a team in a spot like Carolina.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

I mean, they have the cap space too keep him. Wouldn't be the worst idea with Watson facing a possible suspension. Also a good insurance policy in case of injury.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I mean, they have the cap space too keep him. Wouldn't be the worst idea with Watson facing a possible suspension. Also a good insurance policy in case of injury.
yes it would. they're both done with each other. it's required they move on or else it is a total mess.

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
What if DeShaun is suspended by the NFL for a year and Baker is the starter? Would the Browns trade Baker for Darnold? Would they start Brissett?

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think that kind of rule is also a holdover from past days when there were more owners the PA doesn't trust to avoid bankruptcy. These days, the teams are all so well financed the PA shouldn't worry about these.gusratnees being paid.

& team values are so high, owners wouldn't have a problem getting loans to cover salaries if need be.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Violating consent is clearly part of it for him. He would have no problem hiring women with the understanding that this was part of the job or finding football groupies.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad