Speculation: Claude Giroux and the Colorado Avalanche

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Our team is way too good this year to not get an A tier rental. I am normally a longer term outlook guy, but our entire second line is insane this year and they are all UFA. Giroux could play third line,both special teams and step in whenever and wherever there is an injury or someone underperforming in the top six. It insulates and deepens our offence so well, it makes too much sense. Also possibly Pavelski or Hertl depending on how the coming weeks go and if Fletcher overplays his hand but Giroux makes the most sense.
Giroux should be on the 2nd line lol. He’s better than that

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Youu can do that by having giroux on the 2nd line too. Why pay for him and have a stud player on the 3rd line lol.
Like I said, '3rd line' is arbitrary. The coach can allocate 2nd line minutes to a 3rd line. Plus he can get double shifted or whatever.

Regardless, if I were acquiring Giroux, I'd be slapping him on the 2nd next to Kadri and Nichushkin (and PP#1) until there was a teamwide scoring drought or something.

Reactions: TheKingPin

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Like I said, '3rd line' is arbitrary. The coach can allocate 2nd line minutes to a 3rd line. Plus he can get double shifted or whatever.

Regardless, if I were acquiring Giroux, I'd be slapping him on the 2nd next to Kadri and Nichushkin (and PP#1) until there was a teamwide scoring drought or something.
Exactly but I think burakovsky would stay with g and kadri, no? Nichuskin to the 3rd

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Youu can do that by having giroux on the 2nd line too. Why pay for him and have a stud player on the 3rd line lol.

For more depth

Giroux on the 3rd line means we can match up well against any other team in the league in our Top 3 lines. And he would be an excellent mentor for Newhook.

That 3rd line would likely still play 15 minutes a game.

Reactions: Richard88

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Just because we don't know for sure doesn't mean we can't apply logic and reason to the situation. It doesn't make it a lie

Giroux will have his say on where he goes and it will be a handful of teams at most. Just because you don't want it to be true doesn't mean it's not

One thing is for sure, flyers fans will not be happy with the trade once it comes down with the kind of return expected in this thread

If you can't say it's true information - and it's completely made up - then yes, it does make it a lie.

It won't be a lot of teams, but saying 1-2 teams is totally made up. Your team-colored glasses are showing in that kind of statement.

I would normally agree with a big return but Giroux holds all the cards.

I'm not even saying that he'll bring a big return. It probably won't be a lot of teams. Could be 5. Could be 2. I think there's *high* potential Fletcher blows this with Giroux.

But I have to occasionally "check" these comments that profess they know how many teams are on Giroux's list. It's silly.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
You forgot that Giroux has a full NMC and chooses where he wants to go which is 1 or 2 teams. The return I'll be similar to what Hall returned for Buffalo did last season which was a late 2nd

Foligno did too, and still returned a boatload.

Hall returned so little because he was brutal with the Sabres.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Exactly but I think burakovsky would stay with g and kadri, no? Nichuskin to the 3rd
Burakovsky can be effective on the 3rd line because he's all offense and creates his own shot. Flawed but dangerous player, not sure he necessarily needs Kadri/Giroux to be effective, just needs to show up and not turn invisible half the time which is what really holds him back.

Nichushkin is the best defensive forward on the team and does the dirty work at an exceptional level. His skating/motor are insane and he has changed his game offensively and improved his shot this year too. I think this year he has actually become as good on offense as Burakovsky (different styles obviously, but I think if Nichushkin didn't miss 15 games he would be outscoring Burakovsky), while retaining that monster defensive game. Bonafide 2nd line winger these days. I'd feed him minutes.

This is why Giroux on the 3rd line isn't an insult. Put him with Alex Newhook who has some real scoring talent/a nice shot. Feed those two offensive zone starts against weaker lines and watch them feast while Nichushkin/Kadri/Burakovsky can take on tougher minutes and excel as they have done. Logan O'Connor or NAK would be fine as the 3rd wheel forechecker there.

Reactions: Richard88

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Adrian Dater
@adater
I'm told that Claude Giroux has made it known to Flyers GM Chuck Fletcher that Colorado is where he wants to go. If somehow that doesn't work out, Minnesota or St. Louis would be acceptable alternatives
Looks like the Avs will have first shot.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Adrian Dater
@adater
I'm told that Claude Giroux has made it known to Flyers GM Chuck Fletcher that Colorado is where he wants to go. If somehow that doesn't work out, Minnesota or St. Louis would be acceptable alternatives
Looks like the Avs will have first shot.

Already refuted

Reactions: AvsCOL

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
For more depth

Giroux on the 3rd line means we can match up well against any other team in the league in our Top 3 lines. And he would be an excellent mentor for Newhook.

That 3rd line would likely still play 15 minutes a game.

Burakovsky can be effective on the 3rd line because he's all offense and creates his own shot. Flawed but dangerous player, not sure he necessarily needs Kadri/Giroux to be effective, just needs to show up and not turn invisible half the time which is what really holds him back.

Nichushkin is the best defensive forward on the team and does the dirty work at an exceptional level. His skating/motor are insane and he has changed his game offensively and improved his shot this year too. I think this year he has actually become as good on offense as Burakovsky (different styles obviously, but I think if Nichushkin didn't miss 15 games he would be outscoring Burakovsky), while retaining that monster defensive game. Bonafide 2nd line winger these days. I'd feed him minutes.

This is why Giroux on the 3rd line isn't an insult. Put him with Alex Newhook who has some real scoring talent/a nice shot. Feed those two offensive zone starts against weaker lines and watch them feast while Nichushkin/Kadri/Burakovsky can take on tougher minutes and excel as they have done. Logan O'Connor or NAK would be fine as the 3rd wheel forechecker there.
Yep, Giroux on the 3rd line would be great. Another element to consider is that Newhook sucks at faceoffs, so putting Giroux on his line would give the Avs a good faceoff guy on each of the top 3 lines (i.e. Landeskog, Kadri, Giroux). Giroux's minutes would be made up by having him on PP1, either in the bumper spot snapping Rantanen feeds, or on the left wall taking one timers with Mackinnon in the bumper.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Eliotte Friedman's 32 thoughts earlier today:

2. One team to watch if and when Claude Giroux talks get serious: Florida. No guarantees, but it makes a lot of sense for everyone involved.

3. Philadelphia deployed operatives to watch both the Avalanche and the AHL Colorado Eagles last week. That signals Philadelphia’s priority isn’t necessarily a first-round draft pick, but a prospect who is ready to compete at the NHL level. It fits with what GM Chuck Fletcher and Comcast Spectacor Chairman and CEO Dave Scott said last month: that the Flyers want to be right back in the thick of things next season. One player I could see Philly liking is not in either of those two places: defenceman Drew Helleson from NCAA Boston College, currently competing at the Olympics. He was taken 47th overall in 2019, a real nice pick by the Avalanche.

Reactions: MSSLYNX

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Of course the Wild's beat writer has sources close to Philly and Giroux :sarcasm:

Honestly i'm not even sure if Giroux knows exactly where he wants to go yet, and I doubt any other beat writer or 'insider' knows.

That same beat writer is close friends with many in the Philly front office as well as JvR. He could also be talking solely about the Minnesota connotation as well as that is not immediately clear in his response.

There’s level of respect on sourcing these things and Dater doesn’t operate in the same stratosphere as Russo in this regard.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Of course the Wild's beat writer has sources close to Philly and Giroux :sarcasm:

Honestly i'm not even sure if Giroux knows exactly where he wants to go yet, and I doubt any other beat writer or 'insider' knows.

For as long as Chuck Fletcher and Brent Flahr are with us, I absolutely do believe the Minnesota Wild’s beat writers have sources close to the Flyers. I’d sooner trust Russo’s reporting than half of Philly’s own beats.

I can buy the second part of your statement, though.

Reactions: PAZ

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Please do not make offers like this. It's embarrassing to our Av's fan base. I get it if you want to play hardball and say either Barron or a first and not both. But this offer is insulting. It's like you think that it's our job to come in and offer the worst thing possible and that will lower the flyers fans counteroffer. There's been absurdities on both sides but Flyers fans have been far more reasonable than our side. I swear Av's fans hear that Giroux will limit the field of teams and think that the return will automatically be terrible.

AVs are among the highest scoring teams in the league. CG would be a fantastic luxury, but Sakic doesn't have the same desperation to fill a position. Greater need big defensive DMan and another G with the fragile Kuemper/Franc on the team. Barron is the future replacement for EJ and money saved extends Mack.

I don't believe Sakic would mortgage the future and offer a large package for a pending UFA regardless of his talent. NMC reduces the offers and Sakic would use this opportunity. Proposal is likely.

Jost
Helleson
Ranta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad