Rumor: Chychrun Megathread (Asking price has been met per Sportsnet)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
A lot of negotiating against ourselves in this thread. Just wait for the right return to come.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
OT's problem is he's only good for a 3rd line scoring role, with defensevely responsible partners currently. That's not a very appealing asset to a rebuilding team. A contender might take a swing because he's on an ELC and they may see an opportunity to capitalize on that. We need players projected to have a higher ceiling and more complete game as a Chychrun return, OT just doesn't offer that.
Those types are a dime a dozen. Maybe he’ll be more. I’ve never had a ton of hope.

Reactions: Nowotny

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
That’s dog-vomit.
Well I guess the Yotes aren't getting what they want yet. I'd take that deal over the Rags proposed Kravtsov, Jones and a 1st. And I certainly don't think the Kings are giving up Turcotte or Byfield in a deal... so not sure what they're offering.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Well I guess the Yotes aren't getting what they want yet. I'd take that deal over the Rags proposed Kravtsov, Jones and a 1st. And I certainly don't think the Kings are giving up Turcotte or Byfield in a deal... so not sure what they're offering.
You just made up Kravtsov, Jones and a 1st.

Also-the idea that Turcotte would be mentioned alongside Byfield is hilarious. And OF COURSE they’d offer Turcotte for Chychrun. Not that I’d take that. Haha. You seem to be lacking in prospect knowledge, my friend. And it’s showing.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Those types are a dime a dozen. Maybe he’ll be more. I’ve never had a ton of hope.
Even if he becomes a 20/20/40 guy, he's one dimensional and that's not what we need right now. We need guys with a much higher ceiling. If this was last year's roster and we were in the mix for a bubble slot, I'd drop a 2nd on him. Different situations with different needs. He's a fine secondary scoring project with maybe 2nd line upside. Not knocking the guy, just not interested at this time.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
You just made up Kravtsov, Jones and a 1st.

Also-the idea that Turcotte would be mentioned alongside Byfield is hilarious. And OF COURSE they’d offer Turcotte for Chychrun. Not that I’d take that. Haha. You seem to be lacking in prospect knowledge, my friend. And it’s showing.
Okay, we'll see lol. These "trades" never deliver on the expectations -- use Eichel as an example, or Laine.

And, I really like Chychrun, but tell me why a player who according to you is worth a king's ransom looks so awful on a team starved for star talent? How do you go from being among the top D scorers to having 8 points in 32 games and being a -31? And, yes, +/- is an overrated stat, but it tells a little bit of the story. My go-to in the desert is a season ticket holder who has told me, "He looks off this year. Shot not good, lacks confidence, etc."

Chychrun has played ONE full season in his career (and it was a shortened one) and his drop-off has been massive. Really like the player, but this isn't prime Shea Weber we're talking about here.

Not sure how anyone reasonable expects Florida would give up a Knight or Lundell for him in a package.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Okay, we'll see lol. These "trades" never deliver on the expectations -- use Eichel as an example, or Laine.

And, I really like Chychrun, but tell me why a player who according to you is worth a king's ransom looks so awful on a team starved for star talent? How do you go from being among the top D scorers to having 8 points in 32 games and being a -31? And, yes, +/- is an overrated stat, but it tells a little bit of the story. My go-to in the desert is a season ticket holder who has told me, "He looks off this year. Shot not good, lacks confidence, etc."

Chychrun has played ONE full season in his career (and it was a shortened one) and his drop-off has been massive. Really like the player, but this isn't prime Shea Weber we're talking about here.

Not sure how anyone reasonable expects Florida would give up a Knight or Lundell for him in a package.
Are you new?

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Are you new?
Quality response. Care to chime in on the underwhelming returns these "big trades" always get? What is your expectation for a Chychrun return? Can't wait to compare it to the actual return.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA

We've been watching him for 5 seasons and we just turned over our staff and team to one of the worst rosters in recent memory. He's having a rough year but he's still a phenomenal talent. I'd much sooner keep him than let him go for less than reasonable value. Like it or not Lundell should be the target, he's just having a great start which priced him out of a Chychrun deal. If his start was more typical of a rookie, I'd be willing to bet Florida and it's fans would be more open to conversation.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I really don't think so. I think the Panthers have enough ammo to land Chychrun without Knight or Lundell.

Tippett, Denisenko, 1st... and maybe add another 2nd to close the deal is as good as a deal the Yotes are likely to get for Chychrun imho.
Then they should keep him.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Quality response. Care to chime in on the underwhelming returns these "big trades" always get? What is your expectation for a Chychrun return? Can't wait to compare it to the actual return.
You’re being ridiculous, and as a result I’m not inclined to engage with you. I suspect you’re behaving this way because you’re insecure about your knowledge regarding names that are being discussed. Including Chychrun. I don’t have any desire to first get get you up to speed and then have a meaningful back and forth with you.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018

Go find a defensemen under 24 who's got 322 games, 48g, and 81a before their 24th birthday. See who his comparables are in the history of the NHL and then you'll know why he's worth a king's ransom. Oh yeah he's also making $4.6 million for 3 years after this current one.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

I liked this post for it's accuracy..... until the last sentence. We don't need to be reasonable, other teams are inquiring RE: Chychrun, we hold the card they want, if the price is too high, we'll keep him.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Are you new?
Why are you so pissy? Just because he doesn't value Chych like you do, does not make him wrong. He can have his own opinion, and it holds as much weight as yours or anyone else on this board. I hope we get the return that you are hoping, but in the meantime lets be civil, or at least half assed.:)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Go find a defensemen under 24 who's got 322 games, 48g, and 81a before their 24th birthday. See who his comparables are in the history of the NHL and then you'll know why he's worth a king's ransom. Oh yeah he's also making $4.6 million for 3 years after this current one.
There are many.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
So the concept of trading Chychrun is based upon the high return he will command in a trade.

but AZ should settle and take a less because?

What’s the logic here outside of you don’t believe he can get a high return? Thats fine. AZ also doesn’t have to trade him.

the fact that a deal hasn’t happened yet supports our willingness to stay stays quo. If we just wanted to get rid of him we could have done that months ago. We didn’t.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
You have kinda put enough variables in that equation that really leads the answer.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
So the concept of trading Chychrun is based upon the high return he will command in a trade.

but AZ should settle and take a less because?

What’s the logic here outside of you don’t believe he can get a high return? Thats fine. AZ also doesn’t have to trade him.

the fact that a deal hasn’t happened yet supports our willingness to stay stays quo. If we just wanted to get rid of him we could have done that months ago. We didn’t.
I think it's kinda disingenuous to suggest that Bill hasn't driven the Chychrun is available and here's the return narrative. I have no idea what's offered but I do believe Bill has gone looking for this trade. That doesn't mean he will do a deal that he doesn't like , I just don't believe he has played no role in the Chychrun is available story.

Reactions: Prarievarg

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think it's kinda disingenuous to suggest that Bill hasn't driven the Chychrun is available and here's the return narrative. I have no idea what's offered but I do believe Bill has gone looking for this trade. That doesn't mean he will do a deal that he doesn't like , I just don't believe he has played no role in the Chychrun is available story.
He’s stoked the fire. No question. That’s his job. He made the market for Keumper by playing Oilers offer against the Avs. Got a top prospect and a 1st for a guy few thought would return a first alone.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Let’s talk about Florida’s non-Lundell, non-Knight pieces. I’ve said as much as I need to on Tippett. But what about the rest?

I like Mackie Samoskevich a lot. I’d trade the Colorado or Carolina first for him right now, without knowing the final draft order. I’m a big fan.

We definitely know Florida’s 2023 1st will be a 1st. Haha. Probably a late one, but it’s a 1st.

I’d rate those two right up at the top of the list of assets in Florida’s pool. Next tier probably contains Denisenko, Sourdif and Nause for me.

Denisenko has skills and plays with a little bit of an edge. A little like Ladiav Nagy for you old farts like me, who loved Nagy way back when. I’ve not seen him in league play. So I’m talking out of my ass on him, a bit. Which is why I’ve been a bit quiet on him. At the tournies, I’ve liked him. Small sample. His numbers in league play don’t stand out, at all. He’s a small winger, who I don’t have a whole lot to say about honestly. A bit of a blind spot for me.

Sourdif is a powerful little player. Love the energy. He’s productive in the WHL but I don’t see high-end skill. I’m thinking more of a bottom six future. His play style and his physical make-up are a bit incongruent, which worries me. I’ve fallen in love with prospects like this before and it rarely turns out well. He’s actually pretty good with the puck, and he ALWAYS takes it inside, which I love. He’s also good at just chucking it into dangerous areas, so he’s smart. Which he shows on the PK, too. But again, I worry about how it translates. He’s not going to get inside like that at the NHL level. Maybe he’s just another Nick Cousins. I like him. I want to love him. I’m too jaded to really believe in him.

I am really impressed with Nause when I watch him play for the Remparts. Big, rangey defenseman. He’s all over the ice. He uses his size well, skates well, and moves the puck well. What concerns me is the production. He should be putting up points. He’s not. Quebec has the 2nd best record in the Q and the best goal differential. They’re a +75. Yet he’s 12th in scoring on the team and is tied for 3rd in scoring by D. And he’s a team worst -3 and one of only two players on the team who’s a minus player. The eye test tells me he’s a toolsy kid with great upside. Big, strapping kid who just LOOKS the part of top prospect defenseman out there. Yet the production sucks and the results just aren’t there.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Let’s talk about Florida’s non-Lundell, non-Knight pieces. I’ve said as much as I need to on Tippett. But what about the rest?

I like Mackie Samoskevich a lot. I’d trade the Colorado or Carolina first for him right now, without knowing the final draft order. I’m a big fan.

We definitely know Florida’s 2023 1st will be a 1st. Haha. Probably a late one, but it’s a 1st.

I’d rate those two right up at the top of the list of assets in Florida’s pool. Next tier probably contains Denisenko, Sourdif and Nause for me.

Denisenko has skills and plays with a little bit of an edge. A little like Ladiav Nagy for you old farts like me, who loved Nagy way back when. I’ve not seen him in league play. So I’m talking out of my ass on him, a bit. Which is why I’ve been a bit quiet on him. At the tournies, I’ve liked him. Small sample. His numbers in league play don’t stand out, at all. He’s a small winger, who I don’t have a whole lot to say about honestly. A bit of a blind spot for me.

Sourdif is a powerful little player. Love the energy. He’s productive in the WHL but I don’t see high-end skill. I’m thinking more of a bottom six future. His play style and his physical make-up are a bit incongruent, which worries me. I’ve fallen in love with prospects like this before and it rarely turns out well. He’s actually pretty good with the puck, and he ALWAYS takes it inside, which I love. He’s also good at just chucking it into dangerous areas, so he’s smart. Which he shows on the PK, too. But again, I worry about how it translates. He’s not going to get inside like that at the NHL level. Maybe he’s just another Nick Cousins. I like him. I want to love him. I’m too jaded to really believe in him.

I am really impressed with Nause when I watch him play for the Remparts. Big, rangey defenseman. He’s all over the ice. He uses his size well, skates well, and moves the puck well. What concerns me is the production. He should be putting up points. He’s not. Quebec has the 2nd best record in the Q and the best goal differential. They’re a +75. Yet he’s 12th in scoring on the team and is tied for 3rd in scoring by D. And he’s a team worst -3 and one of only two players on the team who’s a minus player. The eye test tells me he’s a toolsy kid with great upside. Big, strapping kid who just LOOKS the part of top prospect defenseman out there. Yet the production sucks and the results just aren’t there.
I forgot Smilanic (which is fitting). I want to like him more than I do. I wanted to see a bigger step forward at Quinnipiac. I thought he did well last season for a scrawny freshman (like Kyle Turris levels of bean-pole) but he’s not got much bigger nor much more productive.

In the games I’ve watched I’ve intended to keep an eye on him (though I’m usually watching someone else primarily) and I can’t help but lose track of him and forget about him. There are some media scouts I like that were high on him in his draft year. So I was keen to pick him. We didn’t. I’ve been curious about him since. He seems like “Just a Guy” to me. :dunno:

- He’s one that I wouldn’t be surprised though if he became an NHL rookie at an advanced stage and suddenly put together a nice career out of nowhere.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I like Knight, too. I like him and Swayman better than any other goalie prospects in the world. I give a slight edge to Swayman. But I like Knight. He’s as good as a goalie prospect can be. And he’s a very interesting kid. One of those clearly intelligent, not your typical meathead guys. Like Garland and Hall. Gives thoughtful answers and is an impressive kid. Good leadership characteristics. I like Knight.

But man I liked Al Montoya, too. :) These goalies are just so unpredictable. And it’s not just when they’re prospects. Look at Kuemper. I just don’t believe in spending big assets on goalie. That goes for trade assets and cap space, too. Goalies should be “easy come, easy go”, in my opinion. That’s just my philosophy.

I don’t think much of Owen Tippett, at all. I do like Mackie Samoskevich quite a bit, though. I could probably live with a deal that includes Knight AND Samoskevich AND a Florida’s ‘23 1st. If it’s just one or two of those pieces and it’s Owen Tippett instead, I’m gonna be damn grouchy.
Here’s my earlier post to round out all of my word vomit on Cats prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad