Rumor: Chychrun Megathread (Asking price has been met per Sportsnet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
So the concept of trading Chychrun is based upon the high return he will command in a trade.

but AZ should settle and take a less because?

What’s the logic here outside of you don’t believe he can get a high return? Thats fine. AZ also doesn’t have to trade him.

the fact that a deal hasn’t happened yet supports our willingness to stay stays quo. If we just wanted to get rid of him we could have done that months ago. We didn’t.
It would be stupid, unnecessary and a step in the wrong direction to trade Chychrun for anything other than an overpay. This team simply doesn't have enough talent in the organization to trade their best player whose in the age range and contract status that fits the rebuild for anything that doesn't give the rebuild a boost. Dvo and Garland weren't first line talents. Chychrun is a 23 year old first pairing talent signed for 3 more years. It could take many years to replace that. I'd rather gamble on him continuing to improve and having to pay him in 4 years over a crap prospect and late first round pick.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Any Florida fans that are lurking (I know you’re there) - please feel free to chime in and argue with me on those prospect break-downs or anything else at all.
Not lurking, but wanted to share news: it looks like your director of pro scouting and director of hockey ops are at the game and, per our beat writer, watching Florida: George Richards on Twitter: "@LegendOfZarra @BoozyBeggarChi Nah, only watching one of the teams." / Twitter

Based on who is playing (and who is playing higher than he should be), I'm guessing they're looking at Tippett.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
W.r.t to your analysis, I think Deni is just an enigma. A lot of energy for a small Russian guy and skilled; if I were the coach, I'd have Swaggy-Barkov-Deni as the first line.

Smackie has a shot, but tough to tell on a loaded team. I'm high on Smilanic: natural goal scorer. I'm impressed with this season actually. Last year Tufto was setting up Smilanic; this year Smilanic is driving the play.

Sourdif impressed the most at camp and I think he is a NHLer. I don't ant to trade him.

Guys you're missing
  1. Benning is an enigma. Very similar to Levi as a prospect in some sense: small for his position but producing out of his mind.
  2. Heponiemi is a good prospect. Smart as Barkov with the puck but small.
  3. Gildon put up great numbers for Bakersfield, but unclear what he is. Injured all season

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Not lurking, but wanted to share news: it looks like your director of pro scouting and director of hockey ops are at the game and, per our beat writer, watching Florida: George Richards on Twitter: "@LegendOfZarra @BoozyBeggarChi Nah, only watching one of the teams." / Twitter

Based on who is playing (and who is playing higher than he should be), I'm guessing they're looking at Tippett.
Columbus is mentioned as often as Florida in Chychrun rumors. Hopefully the Yotes brass was more interested in Foudy than Tippett.

Reactions: Nowotny

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Lundell has 3 apples in the 1st, maybe we should ask for Barkov instead..... they're going to need to dump his contract in order to re-sign Lundell some day...:sarcasm:

:popcorn:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Eh, that was my thought, but GR told us that they were looking at Florida. No idea how he knows.

Not to be needlessly inciteful, but I'm kind over acquiring JC. Rather get Giordano and play Deni tbh.
Columbus is mentioned as often as Florida in Chychrun rumors. Hopefully the Yotes brass was more interested in Foudy than Tippett.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Heponiemi is 23. Jakob Chychrun is 23. One lead all NHL defensemen in goal scoring a year ago and was Top10 in Norris votes. The other is in the AHL. ;) Haha.
Definitely not a center piece, but somewhere to try to get tossed in. Could see him breaking if given a chance.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Ask for Huberdeau...we need money for Marchment ;)

l

You may need money for Knight as well. Looks like Bob is going for a 10-9 victory tonight.

Maybe Coyotes can repeat a similar version of the OEL for Beagle, Eriksson, and Roussel.....

Schmaltz for Barkov, Huberdeau, and Bob?

Reactions: violaswallet

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I really don't think so. I think the Panthers have enough ammo to land Chychrun without Knight or Lundell.

Tippett, Denisenko, 1st... and maybe add another 2nd to close the deal is as good as a deal the Yotes are likely to get for Chychrun imho.
Disagree.

Tippett is an ok current, young NHLer. Still young enough to have potential but far from a difference maker right now.
Denisenko is an OK AHLer with some good potential.
The 1st will be a late 2023.

Not nearly enough high end for a top pairing, 23 year old D that already has a Norris trophy consideration on his resume.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
You may need money for Knight as well. Looks like Bob is going for a 10-9 victory tonight.

Maybe Coyotes can repeat a similar version of the OEL for Beagle, Eriksson, and Roussel.....

Schmaltz for Barkov, Huberdeau, and Bob?

Haha. Unfortunately Bob has been good. Not sure if you're watching.

Three f***ing D giveaways in front of net: two to Laine!

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Disagree.

Tippett is an ok current, young NHLer. Still young enough to have potential but far from a difference maker right now.
Denisenko is an OK AHLer with some good potential.
The 1st will be a late 2023.

Not nearly enough high end for a top pairing, 23 year old D that already has a Norris trophy consideration on his resume.
Before showing myself out: I think there's a good chance that ends up the trade. I'm a Florida fan of course. I think you'd want Knight who is a tier above both of them, but you guys don't want a goalie.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Go find a defensemen under 24 who's got 322 games, 48g, and 81a before their 24th birthday. See who his comparables are in the history of the NHL and then you'll know why he's worth a king's ransom. Oh yeah he's also making $4.6 million for 3 years after this current one.
I get it, that's the homer Chychrun sales pitch and I can see it. But if he's this incredible why has he struggled awfully this season and why is his name even out there?

Every time a "name" is rumored to be traded, the homer fans build up his value unrealistically and the opposing fans try to steal him -- I understand. But the facts tend to be that the "fair value" is somewhere in the middle and in a large majority of these trades, the fans are underwhelmed with the return -- see Eichel, Laine, etc.

I'll ask you the same question I asked the other guy -- what do you think the Yotes will get back for him in a deal? So we can compare it to the actual trade if it happens. I actually agree with a lot of your pitch, but the opposing GM is going to point out that Chychrun has an injury history and is struggling mightily after a career year.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I hope BA pulls the plug on Chychrun trade talks at this point. It would seem there are no packages out there befitting a 23yr old top pairing D, just teams hoping to score a deal.
We’re getting angsty because we’re getting bombarded with garbage proposal after garbage proposal from the dumbest fans each team has to offer. I can tell from taking directly from the smarter fans of other teams, the proposals are much better. Also, the media continues to maintain that Arizona will get a haul.

It could be this is “dragging on” because BA is creating a bidding war, and there are already frameworks of several deals that are quite appealing.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Like it or not Lundell should be the target, he's just having a great start which priced him out of a Chychrun deal. If his start was more typical of a rookie, I'd be willing to bet Florida and it's fans would be more open to conversation.
I think this is fair. But the fact that Lundell has came in and looked incredible, is on an entry deal, and is producing at a high level (4 assists tonight so far as well) takes him out of the equation. And I'm not close to a Florida fan. I root for the Leafs... and I know we likely don't have the pieces to get Chychrun.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I get it, that's the homer Chychrun sales pitch and I can see it. But if he's this incredible why has he struggled awfully this season and why is his name even out there?

Every time a "name" is rumored to be traded, the homer fans build up his value unrealistically and the opposing fans try to steal him -- I understand. But the facts tend to be that the "fair value" is somewhere in the middle and in a large majority of these trades, the fans are underwhelmed with the return -- see Eichel, Laine, etc.

I'll ask you the same question I asked the other guy -- what do you think the Yotes will get back for him in a deal? So we can compare it to the actual trade if it happens. I actually agree with a lot of your pitch, but the opposing GM is going to point out that Chychrun has an injury history and is struggling mightily after a career year.
EDIT: My response was more rude than necessary. Suffice it to say, you have very bad opinions, you don’t know what you’re talking about, and you’re not contributing anything to our forum other than needless irritation. Which you think is irritating because you’re “telling it like it is” but in reality it’s just annoying because it’s eye rollingingly ignorant.

Last edited:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I think this is fair. But the fact that Lundell has came in and looked incredible, is on an entry deal, and is producing at a high level (4 assists tonight so far as well) takes him out of the equation. And I'm not close to a Florida fan. I root for the Leafs... and I know we likely don't have the pieces to get Chychrun.
He's a part of the core tbh as a Florida fan. It's not just the points but how he plays the game. It's Barkov, Huberdeau, Ekblad and Lundell. Absolutely insane how consistent he is as a 20 year old.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Chychrun has an injury history

This is the ONLY reason I can see them even considering trading him. His talent, age and contract scream for him to be kept as a center piece to the rebuild. I think most of us would much rather keep him than ANY of the fantasy trade proposals fans have dreamed up. As far as him struggling this year, I'd bet the house trading all the other dmen that ate minutes last season along with top point producers has him feeling like they put the whole team on his back. Throw in having to deal with trade rumors the whole season while being the new face of the franchise and that's a lot to ask from a young player. There's definitely some maturing that needs to happen. Burning the team around him to the ground has to be tough to deal with. I'm still hoping Armstrong doesn't get what he's looking for and shuts down the trade talk after the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad