Proposal: Chychrun for Vilardi, Turcotte, and a 1st

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
How the hell is Vilardi a "reclamation" project? He's over a PPG, on pace for 30Gs in 60 games, in the A as a 22 yr old. He's projected to go +40 in +/- too, so it's not just pure offence either. Those are numbers that project a 2C

And then suddenly Turcotte isn't a blue chip prospect? He just won the WJC last year and looked great. His first pro season as a 19/20 yr old, and he's putting up solid points too.

These guys project to be a 1/2C combo, plus a first. I think that's a perfectly fine price for Chychrun.
He’s a bust just like that Kyrou kid in STL, who just can’t seem to breakthrough.. ugh

Reactions: Nowotny and YP44

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Coyotes get two young centers with potential who haven't lived up to it yet plus a 1st round pick.
Kings get Chychrun to anchor their defense for the future as Doughty is not getting any younger.

Thoughts?
Two over drafted, not interesting King prospects and a mid first. Easy pass if I’m Arizona. I’d want a good prospect, not two guys the Kings whiffed on when drafting them.

Reactions: Nowotny

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Two over drafted, not interesting King prospects and a mid first. Easy pass if I’m Arizona. I’d want a good prospect, not two guys the Kings whiffed on when drafting them.
Doesn’t really matter what your half ass assessment is, the fact is the Kings are being used as a pawn to get a contending team or near contender to overpay for Chychrun. No different than what the Sabres did when they leaked that the Kings were the front runner but were never in it..

Reactions: kinghock

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
There's a certain degree of irony in Kings fans questioning whether Chychrun is legit while simultaneously mocking anyone who turns down a package of Vilardi and Turcotte.

I'm more worried that Vilardi and Turcotte never become top 6 NHL players than I am that Chychrun isn't a top pairing defenseman.
Have you seen what Vilardi is doing in the AHL this year? He's too good for that league. The only reason they're keeping him down is because the Kings have cap issues due to Kopitar and Doughty's contracts.

Reactions: kinghock

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
Have you seen what Vilardi is doing in the AHL this year? He's too good for that league. The only reason they're keeping him down is because the Kings have cap issues due to Kopitar and Doughty's contracts.
The yotes have a younger kid named Maccelli who is doing pretty well in the AHL in his first year. Alot of good prospects out there. Vilardi is decent but he has his warts as well. I don't understand the nuance of LA prospects but Turcotte and Vilardi both being first round talent have struggled at the AHL/NHL level thus far(even Byfield). I'm weary of them tbh..
I do think atleast Byfield will figure it out.
35% of first round forwards pan out, I would put my money on him out of the 3.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
The AHL? At his age? Who cares? Nobody is happy when a top ten pick is tearing up the freaking AHL half a decade later.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Not a fan of either team, but this looks fair to me. Lots of good pieces to give up, but LA gets a defenceman that can help them the next four seasons in an area (LHD) where they are weak. With guys like Kempe and Danault stepping up their offensive game and Byfeild/Kailyev on the come up I don’t feel like they would hurt to much with Turcotte/Vilardi getting shipped out. Chychrun is a very good defenceman and I feel in LA he would get back to his old ways

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
I watch a ton of the Tuscon Roadrunners between Reign games on AHLTV and Gulls games in-person. Vilardi and Turcotte would both immediately slot in somewhere around your 2nd to 5th best prospects; much better than mediocre and worth of being tiered with Guenther even if you still rank him #1. I'd put Vilardi at #2, then Turcotte is in the mix with Macelli and Soderstrom. Vilardi in particular has a ceiling that could rival Guenther's offensively, and either he or Turcotte would be excellent centers to get Guenther the puck where he could rip it (Vilardi off the cycle or Turcotte off the rush, your choice).

I'm against giving both Turc and Vilardi up in this case, but I wanted to try and provide some context (without the sniping). FWIW, Macelli looks outstanding every time I see him play, and it'll be interesting to see what he can do in the NHL. Soderstrom has impressive mobility, but he definitely can get lost when the Roadrunners don't have possession. I think he'll need a rock-solid partner to properly develop his 5v5 game, but he's definitely already got the puck skills for NHL power play time.
Betcha they won't be July 8th! And that is 1 of the reasons. Rather keep Chychrun and see if anything materializes this off-season.

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena
The Vilardi/ Turcotte not living up to the hype is pure BS. Even we know they’re better suited as wingers. Albeit playmaking wingers.
In 30 games Vilardi has 32 points & 15 goals

in 26 games Turcotte has 18 points and +18

All the while both are being shifted around to find their best position.
Any Coyote prospects other than Macelli, that comes with higher points also come with an atrocious +\-. The reason NHL pundits and scouts rank the King system so high is because our kids are legitimately good overall hockey players with good IQ and ceilings. When you trade for prospects this is what you want.

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
never understood why a fan cares about the money side of their team. Like the team is going to give you some money or something.
yah, all people are different yo .. it adds a whole new element for me ... i see a 1/4 full stadium and i see an owner who wont spend money on big ticket items that make hockey fans excited .. you do understand its all connected though right?

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
good lord thats a lot.
i must be missing something in Chych's game to warrant all that.

Here, let me help you.

5lqMi0U.png

HW87q0C.png

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Not sure why LA would do this. I mean they’re having a great turnaround season, but this is the kinda trade where you have an established top end team so you don’t mind losing the prospects. So on top of being a massive overpayment by LA I don’t see why the kings would want to make a trade like this.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Is Anderson really first pairing material?

I would think that Faber is a nice trade chip to dangle. He looks vg ...smart, and has all the tools, except for size, even though he isn't small, just moderately sized. Very nice skater, and can play both ways. Or is he a guy you want to keep?
Anderson has come a long way. He has settled himself as Doughty's partner.

I don't think the kings need him, all they need is a little bit more time for the other guys to settle it. Also, I really want to see what Villardi and Turcotte can do on the team, even though McClellan is a dumbass when playing the young guys with proper linemates and giving them special teams ice time ex. Byfield.

Last edited:

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Here, let me help you.

5lqMi0U.png

HW87q0C.png

those are good numbers, dont get me wrong.
edit: ok i actually did some DD after i posted and looked at his current year stats.. yea.. ignore that prior sentence.

i just question him on a few things,
1. he's going to a contender where he wont be 'the man' like he is in AZ.
2. change of scenery doesnt always work out
3. is his health an issue anymore?

Vilardi could be a nothing or a middle 6 player. ok.
Turcotte, who knows. could be the same as GV or better.
a first is a first.

would you send a 1st in 2022, a first in 2024 and a first in 2025 for Chychryn?
that's almost what it comes down to, in essence.

good player, i like him. if we're talking 3 first rounders in the 30s each year and we're a cup contender for 5-8 more years and he's that piece we're missing on the 2nd pairing and 2nd PP, sometimes first PP if need be? id say OK lets do it. if its your final final piece. but idk how many situations this works.

to each their own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad