Proposal: Chychrun for Vilardi, Turcotte, and a 1st

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
There's a certain degree of irony in Kings fans questioning whether Chychrun is legit while simultaneously mocking anyone who turns down a package of Vilardi and Turcotte.

I'm more worried that Vilardi and Turcotte never become top 6 NHL players than I am that Chychrun isn't a top pairing defenseman.

We just all watched Chychrun have a terrible game against LA. There's the argument that Chychrun isn't in a place to succeed on a bad team, but the individual effort isn't there. 50:50 pucks, board battles, not impressive right now.

Then a package with multiple 1sts? Nope.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Chychrun is quite good, but that's too much for him by a significant margin.

Looking at comparable trades - a big, physical, 2-way top pairing dman on a non-expiring deal at a good AAV, I think the most recent trade comparable would be Muzzin? I do think Chychrun's value, if traded, will be similar to what the Kings got for Muzzin, which was a late 1st (ended up being 22nd overall), Grundstrom and Durzi. Villardi and Turcotte have a lot more value than Grundstrom and Durzi had at the time of the Muzzin trade.

As for why I think "similar value to Muzzin", when Muzzin was dealt, he was a quality top pairing dman (big, physical, strong 2-way player and super reliable all over the ice), 29 years old, with 2 seasons remaining at a very good AAV ($4 mil). Chychrun has a similar play style, but not as good - he's not as strong defensively as Muzz was, similar offensively, less physical and a touch smaller. However, he's 23 years old, with 4 seasons remaining on a good AAV ($4.6 mil), assuming he's dealt by the deadline (in the offseason, 24 and 3 seasons). Muzzin then was IMO a decently better player than current Chychrun, with a slightly lower AAV, but Chychrun has substantial positive advantages in terms of age and contract length, so I think value would be similar overall.

This proposal isn't for similar value, though, it's for a lot more than the Kings got for Muzzin. I'd think similar value would be more along the lines of:
  • Turcotte or Vilardi or Kaliyev
  • 1st
  • 3rd

Last edited:
Reactions: kinghock

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Kings fans: What defenseman do you think would pair best with Vilardi/Turcotte in a deal for Chychrun? It's reasonable to expect that the coyotes will want a D with upside coming back.

So I'm thinking 2023 1st, Turcotte (prefer him over Vilardi) + one of

Clarke
Bjornfot
Durzi
Grans
Faber

I'd figure Clarke is probably off the table as he has the highest ceiling. Could Bjornfot work?

I think I’d be fine swapping any of those bottom four players even though they’ve all been swinging upward in their development. Bjornfot is LD and would be swapped with Chychrun in the lineup, whereas the others are part of our RD logjam.

If it’s Clarke as the centerpiece then I think the pick changes (‘22 1st rather than the deeper ‘23 draft) and letting go of Turcotte would likely turn into Kupari, Madden, or Fagemo but also understand why the Coyotes ask for him to be kept.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
You Phoenix guys must have missed the Chychrun conversations over the last couple of month.

He is not the defender we are looking for combined with the asking price.
This has been established month ago.
Someone else will pay for him though, just not the Kings.

Personally i would offer Roy + 1st but that is already as high as i would go

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Can any Kings fan tell me what has happened to Turcotte? I haven't seen him play in the AHL and just looking at his stats is kind of underwhelming. Has he had injuries or is his game just not translating yet?

Nothing. He got injured and after camp I think it was his appendix that got taken out. Followed by Covid like everyone else. There is a log jam at center on the big club and there really is no place to play. He's doing fine for 20 year old and there is no real reason to rush him other than fan impatiences around the boards.

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
people like to troll on the internet. It’s funny because they think we actually care.
you dont care about the arena? thats crazy talk .. less people means less revenue ... and that's never good for a struggling franchise

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
you dont care about the arena? thats crazy talk .. less people means less revenue ... and that's never good for a struggling franchise

What's the temp arena capacity, 5-7 k? Even a really bad team can pull much more than that. Seems pretty tough to be an ARZ fan these days.

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
I think most people in the Phx area will be happy its closer to most of them and a unique venue for atleast the next few years until the larger arena is built. ASU is the big winner here. Speaking of which, I imagine the young players will love the new area. What is interesting is going to be ticket sells.

Reactions: tkb81

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
You Phoenix guys must have missed the Chychrun conversations over the last couple of month.

He is not the defender we are looking for combined with the asking price.
This has been established month ago.
Someone else will pay for him though, just not the Kings.

Personally i would offer Roy + 1st but that is already as high as i would go
Fun fact, this thread and most Chychrun threads are started by other teams.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Why are people talking about arenas and crowds in a trade forum and thread. Seriously?

Reactions: RABBIT and YP44

Coyotes19c

Jul 27, 2021

To be honest I don’t. The team pays several people to figure it out. If they believe the temporary arena will work, why should I think otherwise? I will let the trolls, you know, troll.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
To be honest I don’t. The team pays several people to figure it out. If they believe the temporary arena will work, why should I think otherwise? I will let the trolls, you know, troll.
Sorry man didn't know it was that personal for ya ... haha I think of stuff like that .. must be my business mind mixing with my hockey thoughts ...

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
Coyotes get two young centers with potential who haven't lived up to it yet plus a 1st round pick.
Kings get Chychrun to anchor their defense for the future as Doughty is not getting any younger.

Thoughts?
Yotes say no.

Reactions: Schemp

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Looks about right to me, the 1st round pick should have some type of protection though.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
A deal for chychrun could be real good value/ term… but also could bite you in the butt in a few years when those top end prospects/ picks start to become something. Makes sense to deal him to a team who’s ready to start contending now/ on verge. Kings seem to have many good prospects but they could also hold tight and be a real threat in a few years too.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
From my Kings fan perspective and someone who has pushed hard for Chychrun:

Untouchable:
Byfield
Clarke
Faber
Kaliyev

Would be very painful to lose: Group A
Vilardi (He has an it factor and swagger, close to a breakout and adjusting to the wing)
Durzi
Spence (Likely ROTY candidate in the AHL)
Bjornfot
Anderson

Guys they need to figure out spots for: Group B
JAD
Turcotte
Dudas
Thomas
Madden
Grans
Fagemo

UFAs/Bubble: Group C
Lias Andersson
Grundstrom
Anthansiou
Walker (Offensive RHD/Small Stature/Good Contract/Injuried For Year)
Frk

It wouldn't shock me to see an offer of something like:
One from each group plus 2022 #1 pick
*I'd be shocked if Turcotte and Vilardi go together in any potential trade
*Possibly two from group C

Reactions: kinghock

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
How the hell is Vilardi a "reclamation" project? He's over a PPG, on pace for 30Gs in 60 games, in the A as a 22 yr old. He's projected to go +40 in +/- too, so it's not just pure offence either. Those are numbers that project a 2C

And then suddenly Turcotte isn't a blue chip prospect? He just won the WJC last year and looked great. His first pro season as a 19/20 yr old, and he's putting up solid points too.

These guys project to be a 1/2C combo, plus a first. I think that's a perfectly fine price for Chychrun.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
How the hell is Vilardi a "reclamation" project? He's over a PPG, on pace for 30Gs in 60 games, in the A as a 22 yr old. He's projected to go +40 in +/- too, so it's not just pure offence either. Those are numbers that project a 2C

And then suddenly Turcotte isn't a blue chip prospect? He just won the WJC last year and looked great. His first pro season as a 19/20 yr old, and he's putting up solid points too.

These guys project to be a 1/2C combo, plus a first. I think that's a perfectly fine price for Chychrun.

Vilardi is 22 and in the AHL, a year after spending the season in the NHL. He has produced in the AHL and calling him a reclamation project is a bit unfair, but he isn't a kid anymore either and his skating makes him a tough sell as a center. He is waiver eligible beginning next season.

Turcotte is 2nd year pro, I don't know what your definition of blue chip is, I think he's more of a Top 9 forward swiss army type guy than an offensive force.

Both guys have been playing a lot of wing recently, so not sure the 1C/2C thing is true statement.

Coyotes19c

Jul 27, 2021
Sorry man didn't know it was that personal for ya ... haha I think of stuff like that .. must be my business mind mixing with my hockey thoughts ...

never understood why a fan cares about the money side of their team. Like the team is going to give you some money or something.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad