Value of: Chris Tanev

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
The return of a single elite level young ELC player for a player like Tanev would be pretty much unprecedented. Highly unlikely.
Off the top of my head the only trades involving Nylander/Marner level young assets in the cap age were

Pronger
Carter
Richards
Johansen
Kessel to Leafs (and only then because of bad gamble on a poorly structured deal.

Tanev at 27 signed for 3 more years after this is not in that asset class.
Realistically if he's moved it will be for either

A similar aged top-line forward with a couple years to UFA
A mid first + nhl ready/proven 21-24 year old player with top 4d/top 6F but not likely top pair/ine potential + a B+ prospect (sliding scale between the three pieces as needed)

There was some speculation that Burke didn't lottery protect that pick because it didn't occur to him that it could be that high....ugh.

Mar 26, 2010
I don't need to take any of that to the bank it's not like they are asking for a star player for complete crap views are different opinions are different. Just like any trade offer that's laughed at here might not be laughed at by actual GMs we don't know how they come to these trade conclusions. They certainly aren't scolding each other about them because it's unprofessional. So if you don't like this board as u are a leafs fan(?) on a Tanev thread take your toys and go home.

I am pretty sure if you go back and read EVERY post in this thread... NOT ONE single Toronto fan offered Nylander for Tanev. That is delusional and Shanny or Lou would never move young elite talent for an older D who would not even make out top pairing. Stop with the outrageous proposals for Toronto's young core. Keep dreaming.

I will take my toys and go now :popcorn:

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I am pretty sure if you go back and read EVERY post in this thread... NOT ONE single Toronto fan offered Nylander for Tanev. That is delusional and Shanny or Lou would never move young elite talent for an older D who would not even make out top pairing. Stop with the outrageous proposals for Toronto's young core. Keep dreaming.

I'm a Leaf fan, I think you're underrating Tanev - he'd likely play with Rielly on the top pair and is a capable top pairing defenseman (in the mold of a shut down #2 who's not getting pp time)

Agree that Nylander isn't on the table, even if Tanev wasn't an injury risk which it appears that he is, that's going to place a considerable asterisk on his trade value

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I don't need to take any of that to the bank it's not like they are asking for a star player for complete crap views are different opinions are different. Just like any trade offer that's laughed at here might not be laughed at by actual GMs we don't know how they come to these trade conclusions. They certainly aren't scolding each other about them because it's unprofessional. So if you don't like this board as u are a leafs fan(?) on a Tanev thread take your toys and go home.

Wish as you might, Leafs Nation will not resile and disappear.

Tanev is not worth the inflated offers suggested to the Leafs.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Wish as you might, Leafs Nation will not resile and disappear.

Tanev is not worth the inflated offers suggested to the Leafs.

And JVR or Kapanen aren't a quality return.

It's not a fit as far as trades go, so why does every Taney thread get crashed by Leafs fans when they know our asking price?

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Let me be the voice of reason here.

Leafs shouldn't be trading any of there high end roster players.

Tanev shouldn't be traded at all with the state that the Canucks are in right now.

IMO Vancouver needs to trade the twins even if they retain a **** ton of those contracts. The only way a rebuild starts in Van is when you trade the face(s) of your franchise. As far as Tanev goes, we have some young D men that have made the team guys like Stecher, Hutton, in the future maybe J. Subban. We need Tanev to show those guys how its done defensively. I just want a rebuild man this **** just isn't working, and it never will.

Vancouver needs to trade guys like Sedins, Edler, if they can Eriksson. And obviously get rid of Sbisa.

If Toronto wants a D man like a Vlasic, Tanev or a Larsson they're still a young enough team to draft and develop this type of D man, maybe they already have. I also feel fans don't understand even if a D man doesn't put up a **** ton of points that makes them worthless (not a 1st round pick but 2x 2nd rounders lol), which isn't true. Edmonton gave up Hall for Larsson. You don't think at team like Dallas wouldn't give up a first for Vlasic? These D men make great first passes, great skaters, block shots, sound defensively, you don't notice them out there because they hardly make mistakes.

someone earlier mentioned something along the lines of "I didn't know he was a Norris candidate". The Norris is basically the D man who has put up the most points and is really good offensively, they're not necessarily the best d man. IMO there needs to be another trophy that honors players like the ones mentioned above, its bull****.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
A non-productive comment is asking for Marner Nyander 1st for Tanev. That is flaming BIG TIME!

I never seen a single Nucks fan post that, let's not make stuff up.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I cannot believe that Leafs and Nucks fans are arguing about this again. Can't we all just agree not to mention each other in these types of threads. Canucks will want Nylander, Leafs would never do that. Leafs would at most give up Kapanen +, the Canucks feel that's not enough. End of discussion.

Last edited:

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Back before advanced metrics became en vogue, what would a team normally give up for a d-man that's considered top pairing shutdown?

OK, so that's your value for Tanev. You'll get a decent return but not a king's ransom.

People act like because a player's got an impressive chart, that means he's a franchise player. No, it just means we've got advanced metrics to prove his value.

Tanev is awesome at what he does, but he's barely got any offense to his game. That has to be accounted for in any prospective deal. And with the state of the Canucks right now, why in god's name are they holding on to him? He's what, 26? Trade him, he's not the cornerstone of your franchise. Look at what Colorado's trying to do with Duchene. If you're a serious about a rebuild, you trade Tanev for a 1st rounder and either a top prospect or quality middle 9 forward with good potential who is 18-23 years old.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
It hurts me but i'd do Sergachev for Tanev, assuming either Petry or Tanev would be ok playing LD. Our windows now so we're gonna have to make a big move, our biggest need is a top 2 dman imo. Vancouver gets a young D for their rebuild (and a potential Juolevi - Sergachev pairing).

Petry - Weber
Beaulieu - Tanev
Markov - Emelin
Pateryn

1 PMD + 1 defensive D per pairing

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
IMO Vancouver needs to trade the twins even if they retain a **** ton of those contracts. The only way a rebuild starts in Van is when you trade the face(s) of your franchise.

Well, if you want to get technical, there is in fact only one face of the franchise in their case :sarcasm:

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

It's a trade forum bud, if us asking for an overpayment for one of our best players (who despite your lack of knowledge, would be a top pairing guy on your team) wrecks your delicate sensibilities as it pertains your own team maybe it's best you kept away from this forum, maybe try knitting?

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Back before advanced metrics became en vogue, what would a team normally give up for a d-man that's considered top pairing shutdown?

OK, so that's your value for Tanev. You'll get a decent return but not a king's ransom.

People act like because a player's got an impressive chart, that means he's a franchise player. No, it just means we've got advanced metrics to prove his value.

Tanev is awesome at what he does, but he's barely got any offense to his game. That has to be accounted for in any prospective deal. And with the state of the Canucks right now, why in god's name are they holding on to him? He's what, 26? Trade him, he's not the cornerstone of your franchise. Look at what Colorado's trying to do with Duchene. If you're a serious about a rebuild, you trade Tanev for a 1st rounder and either a top prospect or quality middle 9 forward with good potential who is 18-23 years old.

Tanev is only 26, he could easily play for another 10 years, which means, no we don't have to trade him, unless we get the right return back, a 1st rounder in a weak draft is not a great starting point unless it's a top 10 pick, which isn't going to happen.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Tanev is only 26, he could easily play for another 10 years, which means, no we don't have to trade him, unless we get the right return back, a 1st rounder in a weak draft is not a great starting point unless it's a top 10 pick, which isn't going to happen.

FWIW, as this draft is getting closer it really looks like the "weak" part of it is the top 3-5 picks, the rest looks pretty normal

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
And JVR or Kapanen aren't a quality return.

It's not a fit as far as trades go, so why does every Taney thread get crashed by Leafs fans when they know our asking price?

Because for some reason, the price is always higher for the Leafs. I have read posts in which Van/other teams fans have agreed to Tanev deals...in which there was nothing as valuable as Nylander involved.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
FWIW, as this draft is getting closer it really looks like the "weak" part of it is the top 3-5 picks, the rest looks pretty normal

Really? Everything I have heard, from the radio to TV to research has made it come off as pretty weak.

Where did you see or read differently? Honestly curious?

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
There was some speculation that Burke didn't lottery protect that pick because it didn't occur to him that it could be that high....ugh.

Gross over simplification, Burke couldn't lottery protect the picks because Nashville made the same offer. Boston expected Toronto to finish worse so they choose the deal with Toronto.

It's the reason Kessel was traded for more picks that what an offer sheet compensation would be for his deal. Burke first re-acquire a 2nd round pick from Calgary (for I wanna say Starlman?) in order to threat the offer sheet. Second, then Poile came with the trade offer to outbid Burke's threat and third, Burke matched the trade offer.

His 'I didn't think we'd finish second last' that was just Burke's typical newspeak, his back and forth with the media was the only entertaining thing of his time in Toronto.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Let me just put this out there, because i feel like lots of people especially leafs fans wouldn't ever consider trading the 1st; This year is a very weak draft, experts have the first overall pick going in the 4-6 range in 2016. The Leafs pick is realistically going to be in the 5-15 range, make even 15+.

Leafs advanced stats have been very good this year, with a player like Tanev we have a very solid top 4. Rielly-Tanev, Garinder-Zaitsev. We will easily be a bubble team with Tanev barring major injuries.

I actually would also give our first, though I wouldn't add Kapanen. From the looks of that other thread, I'll likely catch flak from other Leaf fans.

Unprotected 1st is as high as I would go.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Gross over simplification, Burke couldn't lottery protect the picks because Nashville made the same offer. Boston expected Toronto to finish worse so they choose the deal with Toronto.

It's the reason Kessel was traded for more picks that what an offer sheet compensation would be for his deal. Burke first re-acquire a 2nd round pick from Calgary (for I wanna say Starlman?) in order to threat the offer sheet. Second, then Poile came with the trade offer to outbid Burke's threat and third, Burke matched the trade offer.

His 'I didn't think we'd finish second last' that was just Burke's typical newspeak, his back and forth with the media was the only entertaining thing of his time in Toronto.

Do you have a source? I didn't say anything definitively but it seems that you have hard info

btw - my info wasn't from the media, I had a friend working at MLSE at the time and that was the office buzz according to him (not in hockey ops, he wouldn't have been in the room or anything)

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I actually would also give our first, though I wouldn't add Kapanen. From the looks of that other thread, I'll likely catch flak from other Leaf fans.

Unprotected 1st is as high as I would go.

Not from me, i had this stance in the very early incarnation of Tanev threads. and ya, i took a beating for it...but my reasoning is this, i don't think the kid we pick would have the impact of Tanev on our top pair next to Rielly. Now, with that being said...if i knew the pick was top 5? I dunno....

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad