Value of: Chris Tanev

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Can some Canucks fans give us some insight as to why their top pairing defensive defenseman plays only 19:49 a game this year?

He's called 1-2-3 Willie for a reason.

And Tanev gets very little PP time.

Tanev is a defensive stalwart who offers next to no offensive impact. He's a very good top-pair D in a defensive orientation or a compliment to a guy with better offensive abilities.

I think the best (and fairest) offers are Sergachev/Sam Reinhart for Tanev. I think a small plus to Sergachev would be necessary, but these types of deals I'd look at.

MissionCanucksFan

Mar 2, 2014
That, and for such poor returns. I guess all the terrible Benning trades make mediocre trades look amazing.

Well one proposal was

Tanev to Ottawa for Logan Brown, a potential 1st(2018) and a lock for pick #62 this year.

Another was Tanev to Mtl for Sergachev who has a MUCH higher ceiling than Tanev ever will.

Don't trip over your drool for Tanev....it's not like he is a complete game changer or been written about as "the player that saved the game" or even "shut someone down" during a game.
Ya he is useful to a point but if someone offers a either of those packages, you take it and run

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Well one proposal was

Tanev to Ottawa for Logan Brown, a potential 1st(2018) and a lock for pick #62 this year.

Another was Tanev to Mtl for Sergachev who has a MUCH higher ceiling than Tanev ever will.

Don't trip over your drool for Tanev....it's not like he is a complete game changer or been written about as "the player that saved the game" or even "shut someone down" during a game.
Ya he is useful to a point but if someone offers a either of those packages, you take it and run

If Tanev was 32 years old then sure I'd look at doing those moves, but he just turned 27 and will have many years of high level defensive play as he enters his prime. He's also signed to a good contract for three more years, so there's no rush to trade him. It would probably be best to wait until after the expansion draft so teams that are already protecting three defensemen could also get into the bidding.

You're greatly overvaluing potential and aren't taking into consideration those players possibly not reaching their potential. Brown and Sergachev are very good prospects, but they aren't surefire 1st line/top pairing players. Also, not only is that Ottawa 1st not guaranteed, but it's for next year's draft, and picks for the following year tend to be less valuable because you have to wait an extra year to draft and develop the player.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Well one proposal was

Look at our team play with Tanev, and look at when he is injured. The guy should win an MVP award for that alone.

As for the trades, I like Brown over Kapanen, and while Sergachev is a stud prospect, we have a lot of D that are trending upwards. While we don't need Sergachev as much as a forward, that kind of return, a potentially elite prospect as the centerpiece, is more attractive then many of the other offers.

On pure value, Zuccarello, Halverson, Zborovskiy and a second is probably the most value, but it's not something we'd need at any part of it. G and D prospects, a second and a (admittedly top six) forward older then Tanev just doesn't appeal to me, anyway.

We're getting value, it's just not what we're looking for. An elite forward is the ideal return, and if it's not an ideal return, why trade him at this stage? I go back to my original point, we are a much, much, much worse team without Tanev, and we need something to offset that. No offset, no trade.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Tanev doesn't even play 20 minutes a game on one of the worst teams in the league.

what madness is going on in here?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Tanev doesn't even play 20 minutes a game on one of the worst teams in the league.

what madness is going on in here?

Last 10 games:

NJD - 22:03
PHI - 18:48
NSH - 21:58
CGY - 4:04 (hurt)
ARI - 20:28
COL - 20:13
EDM - 22:57
ANA - 17:24
LAK - 20:17
CGY - 22:49

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Tanev is averaging 19:48 of icetime, that is 20 minutes/game to me. He doesn't get PP time so he doesn't get those extra minutes Hutton/Edler/Stecher are seeing.

Gudbranson is averaging 0:32 seconds more than Tanev per game. This really just highlights how bad of a coach Willie Desjardins is, as he has tried to force Gudbranson as a top four defensemen all year.

Tanev is getting 20 minutes a night against top lines pretty consistently, so I don't get it.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Tanev is definitely on his way to becoming HFBoards most over rated players at this point. To say he's a 1 is absurd. He seems like your average 3, and should realistically cost a mid-first and a prospect (b/b+)

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Tanev is definitely on his way to becoming HFBoards most over rated players at this point. To say he's a 1 is absurd. He seems like your average 3, and should realostically cost a mid-first and a prospect (b/b+)

Whoever says he is a #1 defensemen is clearly wrong and there are a lot of Canucks fans that will disagree with it as well. Tanev is only getting overrated because there is no point trading him for a return that makes us far worse. Tanev is the glue to the Canucks defense and it is very evident how much they miss him when he is out of the lineup. What return can replace that?

It's a classic case of Tanev having more value to the Canucks than he does by trading him, unless we get a Hall type return, or a package type deal.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Whoever says he is a #1 defensemen is clearly wrong and there are a lot of Canucks fans that will disagree with it as well. Tanev is only getting overrated because there is no point trading him for a return that makes us far worse. Tanev is the glue to the Canucks defense and it is very evident how much they miss him when he is out of the lineup. What return can replace that?

It's a classic case of Tanev having more value to the Canucks than he does by trading him, unless we get a Hall type return, or a package type deal.

Yeah, that's all true. But if Vancouver wants to rebuild, he needs to be dealt for the best package you guys can get, even if it's only a mid-first round pick. That team isn't contending for a cup anytime soon, and they're not getting any younger

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Yeah, that's all true. But if Vancouver wants to rebuild, he needs to be dealt for the best package you guys can get, even if it's only a mid-first round pick. That team isn't contending for a cup anytime soon, and they're not getting any younger

That is true, but having Hutton, Stecher, Tryamkin and later on Juolevi left to fend for themselves...that may not be the best idea. Gudbranson can't carry a pairing, Sbisa is awful, and everyone else is borderline NHL-tier defensemen.

Edler is really the only reliable one left, and he's been paired with Stecher and they have looked good, but that leaves Hutton/Tryamkin/Juolevi to be saddled with boat anchors as their partners as they are trying to develop and learn the NHL game.

I see no rush to move Tanev right now, if they can't garner a nice return. We need to make sure we develop these young defensemen before getting trigger happy. The Canucks have other assets they should be focused on moving before Tanev right now.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
Do you have a source? I didn't say anything definitively but it seems that you have hard info

btw - my info wasn't from the media, I had a friend working at MLSE at the time and that was the office buzz according to him (not in hockey ops, he wouldn't have been in the room or anything)

This is just a surface google search, a bit pressed for time, but it played out over a couple weeks, the deal was late into the off season if I recall correctly. Not claiming this is a perfect link but gives the jist of it.

http://nesn.com/2009/09/predators-maple-leafs-to-begin-bidding-war-for-phil-kessel/

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
That is true, but having Hutton, Stecher, Tryamkin and later on Juolevi left to fend for themselves...that may not be the best idea. Gudbranson can't carry a pairing, Sbisa is awful, and everyone else is borderline NHL-tier defensemen.

Edler is really the only reliable one left, and he's been paired with Stecher and they have looked good, but that leaves Hutton/Tryamkin/Juolevi to be saddled with boat anchors as their partners as they are trying to develop and learn the NHL game.

I see no rush to move Tanev right now, if they can't garner a nice return. We need to make sure we develop these young defensemen before getting trigger happy. The Canucks have other assets they should be focused on moving before Tanev right now.

Hf admins can this please automatically be reposted on every Tanev post?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
*triggered*

So the same people who say that Tanev isn't our #1 dman due to ice time must believe that Brandon Sutter is our top forward.

Great logic there.

Our coach just played Jayson ****ing Megna 17 minutes last game and he's put Derek Dorsett on our top line and on the PP multiple times before. He's not very bright in case you haven't noticed.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Canuck fans, what is the odds of Benning pulling the T on any of these deals:

Zuccarello and Klein for Tanev

Stepan, Zuccarello and Klein for Tanev and Sutter

3. Henrik Lundqvist, Stepan, Zuccarello and Klein for Tanev, Strecher, Sutter and Miller?

;)

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Vancouver should end their love affair with these players and make a business decision.

You don't keep a guy like Tanev through his prime years, when those prime years coincide with what should be a team rebuild.

They're going to get quite a bit for Tanev, if they trade him sooner rather than later.

If they wait, they could regret it.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Vancouver should end their love affair with these players and make a business decision.

You don't keep a guy like Tanev through his prime years, when those prime years coincide with what should be a team rebuild.

They're going to get quite a bit for Tanev, if they trade him sooner rather than later.

If they wait, they could regret it.

OTOH, I think a big reason for why the kids in Toronto are doing so well early on is just because they always kept a "team"/team structure in place. IE they did the opposite of what EDM did.

JVR, Bozak, Kadri, Komarov, Matt Martin, the semi-youths Brown and Hyman, Michalek, Polak, Gardiner, Reilly, Hunwick and so forth, -- like its an established NHL core. The core of a PO contender? Nah, of course not. But its definitely the core of a team. You got a PP unit that is decent. You get a unit that can take late shifts. Even if its thin, its still enough to at least be in that essential position where the kids have to earn their ice time. Like if Matthews bombed, he wouldn't play the top PP unit or last shift of the game when needing a goal or whatever. If Marner bombed he would be in the AHL. The same for Nyls. In EDM, it was always the complete opposite. They had no alternatives more or less to their high picks. Either they performed or not, they still played.

You definitely want the dynamic Toronto has. As this league is right now, I think good teams develop good players, and the premium in talent bad teams get in the draft has to be very very big to make up for the advantage good teams has on the development side...

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
A player who scores a ppg in the AHL is considered NHL ready.

Kapanen was drafted 22nd overall so has the pedigree to be a top 6 winger, and has proven it in the AHL before he got injured.

Kap + B prospect like Riechel or Lindberg + a our highest 2nd round draft choice should be enough for Tanev who is a solid, but one-dimensional D.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Honestly, I think once Tanev is inserted, Toronto becomes a playoff team, but that is the risk............

IMO, the risk is more Vancouver's than Toronto's

So the more I think about it..........

Toronto 2017-1st (unprotected) + Kapanen + 2017-2nd

(There is absolutely nothing that guarantees Toronto's side plays a game, both Vancouver's players are in the NHL)

for

Van.........Tanev and Gaunce

there is zero chance that that 2nd would be involved. On top of that We have no need for Gaunce and need it to be a equal contracts for contracts.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
What's his outlet pass like? How good is he at moving the puck out of the D zone?

TB has a fairly shiny-looking 1st right now. I think we're in the bottom third of the league, and we have a solid forward prospect pool.

I don't know if Tanev should be the guy we target, because it feels like we're at a point where our defense is struggling because of a lack of Dman with offensive skills. But we could deal a 1st + prospect for the right guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad