Salary Cap: Chris MacFarland - Record as Avalanche GM (Updates In First Post)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How would you rate the job Chris MacFarland has done to date as Avalanche GM? (editable)

• Total voters

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Did they know at the time of deadline there will be no landeskog? Because I thought there was a bit of hope about Landy coming back?

Yes, in hindsight it's easy to say we shouldn't go all in because Nuke situation and Landys failed recovery from the injury. Also add to that most of the top players seems burned out from the regular season and the previous long playoffs. Makar especially.

Yeah, there is a weak link that goes all the way back to choices made in the off-season.

Even if I wanted to support Cmac, and I was rooting for him, I can find a rebuttal for pretty much any excuse made in his favor when it results in a wasted year of contention.

What he did based on what he did know is a mix of Jack all, and wtf.

Reactions: Avaholic29

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Yeah, there is a weak link that goes all the way back to choices made in the off-season.

Even if I wanted to support Cmac, and I was rooting for him, I can find a rebuttal for pretty much any excuse made in his favor when it results in a wasted year of contention.

What he did based on what he did know is a mix of Jack all, and wtf.

This team needed help from the beginning of the season. I guess the lack of right moves in the summer hurt us the most. Top players played too much. Rantanen and MacK must be exhausted, yet they still give it all.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
This team needed help from the beginning of the season. I guess the lack of right moves in the summer hurt us the most. Top players played too much. Rantanen and MacK must be exhausted, yet they still give it all.

That's what I see, the whole team has been covering for the loss of three top six guys from the onset. We'd have better bottom six lines, likely healthier too, with two players added.

JT is a damn 3C, if he played 3C all year maybe he'd have enough energy to hit the net.

Reactions: AvsCOL

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm ok with cheap, I'm stingy as hell my self, but the idea they can't dip into LTIR in order to added needed depth to win the Cup, the year after they just won, because of the owners? I just can't.

That practice facility thing is obvious. Why would any business person force something through while having a bigger picture in mind? I wouldn't build a new practice facility either if something like that was in the works. I'm aware how long that's drawn out too. I think we were hearing rumors about that sometime around when I left Colorado in 2011, not 100% though. I remember thinking fk their practice facility lol, I like Elitch Gardens where it is.
That’s fine if you disagree, I don’t have concrete proof but there are more than enough indicators that make me think that’s the case.

And I never said they couldn’t dip into LTIR at all, in fact they did this year. But I don’t see them ever being a team like Tampa or Vegas or Philly that actually spends the full amount available via LTIR. And FTR that’s not some blanket excuse for MacEff and Sakic, just that I don’t think they have the free hand everyone thinks they do.

As for the practice facility, they just need to build the damned thing. They don’t need to turn everything into the goddamned SoFi Stadium debacle. But that’s not how they operate.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Did they know at the time of deadline there will be no landeskog? Because I thought there was a bit of hope about Landy coming back?

Yes, in hindsight it's easy to say we shouldn't go all in because Nuke situation and Landys failed recovery from the injury. Also add to that most of the top players seems burned out from the regular season and the previous long playoffs. Makar especially.
Going out last years also probably inclined them to conserve ammunition as well.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Reading through all these posts of retooling over the off-season and I’m just not convinced we have the GM that’s capable of doing that. Hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Reading through all these posts of retooling over the off-season and I’m just not convinced we have the GM that’s capable of doing that. Hope I’m wrong.

You're not wrong. We don't have the right person for the job. Luckily, it'll only be a decade or so before some changes are made at the management level.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Everyone take a breath and remember how convinced some were that Bednar should be fired and Kadri should be shipped out.

Wasn't a good year from management, but it's one season. And a cursed one at that. Lets see how they handle this off season and next year.

In reality nothing changed from when Joe was GM to now. Both Joe and CMac said it themselves. They still have the same process as a group. CMac just makes more phone calls now.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Everyone take a breath and remember how convinced some were that Bednar should be fired and Kadri should be shipped out.

Wasn't a good year from management, but it's one season. And a cursed one at that. Lets see how they handle this off season and next year.

In reality nothing changed from when Joe was GM to now. Both Joe and CMac said it themselves. They still have the same process as a group. CMac just makes more phone calls now.
Thank you. Do people really think CMac makes all these decisions by himself? And does anyone remember how things really started to turn around for the Avs when they brought CMac in as assistant GM. Need to chill on the hate on this one, I mean we did just win the Cup last season....

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Thank you. Do people really think CMac makes all these decisions by himself? And does anyone remember how things really started to turn around for the Avs when they brought CMac in as assistant GM. Need to chill on the hate on this one, I mean we did just win the Cup last season....
It comes with the title, no?

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

Not only Bednar but most people here except just a few of us wanted Sakic fired as well. Just like with Bednar and Sakic I'll be patient and give him another year and then re-assess.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Not only Bednar but most people here except just a few of us wanted Sakic fired as well. Just like with Bednar and Sakic I'll be patient and give him another year and then re-assess.
At the time Sakic was rightfully roasted. He made a bunch of really dumb decisions and the team turned into complete crap.

The one saving grace was that the Avs couldn't win anyway. McFarland doesn't have that luxury, he took over a cup contender and has so far flushed one season down the toilet. If he doesn't get a grip real soon the Avs are in trouble, the clock is ticking and the window won't last long.

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
1683301377114.png

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
At the time Sakic was rightfully roasted. He made a bunch of really dumb decisions and the team turned into complete crap.

The one saving grace was that the Avs couldn't win anyway. McFarland doesn't have that luxury, he took over a cup contender and has so far flushed one season down the toilet. If he doesn't get a grip real soon the Avs are in trouble, the clock is ticking and the window won't last long.
Agree on your comment regarding Sakic. However that is my point. Sometimes somebody needs to be given some time to learn the ropes. In CMac's case I also agree that he should have a shorter leash as he was working so closely with Sakic. In the same token IMO there is no reason to overreact and want him fired after only one season like some people here wish. After all it is only speculation about what he tried and didn't try to do at the TDL. Nobody knows for sure.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Agree on your comment regarding Sakic. However that is my point. Sometimes somebody needs to be given some time to learn the ropes. In CMac's case I also agree that he should have a shorter leash as he was working so closely with Sakic. In the same token IMO there is no reason to overreact and want him fired after only one season like some people here wish. After all it is only speculation about what he tried and didn't try to do at the TDL. Nobody knows for sure.
What does it matter what he tried to do? I didn't get better grades in school because I tried to do better, I got better grades when I accomplished something. CMac accomplished nothing so he gets a bad grade. Simple as

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
What does it matter what he tried to do? I didn't get better grades in school because I tried to do better, I got better grades when I accomplished something. CMac accomplished nothing so he gets a bad grade. Simple as
The difference is that you were the only one to blame in your school decision. It takes two willing GMs to make a trade.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The difference is that you were the only one to blame in your school decision. It takes two willing GMs to make a trade.

Lmao,

While there were GMs standing around saying they didn't even get offers on guys.

So yeah it does, you're right.

Unacceptable result, massive F.

We may look back 10 years from now and count this off-season as one of the major points in Franchise history. Sure he can redeem himself, but he's climbing out of the fln hole he decided to leave himself in. We'll see if he does or not.

He's shit until he proves otherwise at this point, and look at how the playoffs are shaping up? Seattle is doing well, Boston is gone.

Different decisions would have definitely had a different result. Fk this dude until he proves otherwise, and still fk him if he does. Can't get this year back. What's done is done, and he has a damn tomb stone for a marker for this year.

Cup team, first round exit. You just can't change the facts, he sucked.

Has this genius even said anything yet? Probably not..

Reactions: The Moops

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Lmao,

While there were GMs standing around saying they didn't even get offers on guys.

So yeah it does, you're right.

Unacceptable result, massive F.

We may look back 10 years from now and count this off-season as one of the major points in Franchise history. Sure he can redeem himself, but he's climbing out of the fln hole he decided to leave himself in. We'll see if he does or not.

He's shit until he proves otherwise at this point, and look at how the playoffs are shaping up? Seattle is doing well, Boston is gone.

Different decisions would have definitely had a different result. Fk this dude until he proves otherwise, and still fk him if he does. Can't get this year back. What's done is done, and he has a damn tomb stone for a marker for this year.

Cup team, first round exit. You just can't change the facts, he sucked.

Has this genius even said anything yet? Probably not..
I'm sure you are talking about the Flyers here. A team needs to be interested in that team's players first before trying to make a deal. It's not because Avs' fans want the players that the GM should. If they don't believe the player will be a good fit then there won't even be an offer for him. Simple as that.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad