Salary Cap: Chris MacFarland - Record as Avalanche GM (Updates In First Post)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How would you rate the job Chris MacFarland has done to date as Avalanche GM? (editable)

• Total voters

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
I’m just going to point something out. Sakic was worthless his first few years as GM and didn’t turn the corner until Macfarland showed up…and if anyone thinks that CMac makes all these decisions folks are pissed about by himself without input from Sakic and the rest of mgmt you are delusional.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't think it is fair to judge Mac this year, I think even if Sakic was in charge they would have gone the conservative route regardless. Just winning the Cup, Sakic or Mac would've had faith in their players to the point that very few changes were ever going to take place. Thinking they would go out and get an entirely new second line in one off-season is just naive thinking. Nobody in the Avs FO have ever been that aggressive. If we're in the situation we are in now? It is because of awful and pathetic drafting. Sure, trade Barron and others for a Cup win, but not getting any NHL players for the bottom 6-8 forwards for the past five years has been really bad.

E: I do agree with others though that them knowing Landeskog missing an entire year was a real possibility should've done more to fix that.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't think it is fair to judge Mac this year, I think even if Sakic was in charge they would have gone the conservative route regardless. Just winning the Cup, Sakic or Mac would've had faith in their players to the point that very few changes were ever going to take place. Thinking they would go out and get an entirely new second line in one off-season is just naive thinking. Nobody in the Avs FO have ever been that aggressive. If we're in the situation we are in now? It is because of awful and pathetic drafting. Sure, trade Barron and others for a Cup win, but not getting any NHL players for the bottom 6-8 forwards for the past five years has been really bad.

E: I do agree with others though that them knowing Landeskog missing an entire year was a real possibility should've done more to fix that.

He's at a 2, and he was AGM for a lot of that. I thought after the Duchene trade and him closing that deal he was the go getter between the two. The one willing to push.

He either folded like a lawn chair in the hot seat, or that was a one off.

So sorry, but he's failing as what I thought he brought to the table. Good pro scouting and action.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Time to go. Everyone saw this coming after no proper moves at deadline. Totally wasted this playoffs with tons of cap space. Next season we will be completely handcuffed by cap, which makes this even worse.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He's at a 2, and he was AGM for a lot of that. I thought after the Duchene trade and him closing that deal he was the go getter between the two. The one willing to push.

He either folded like a lawn chair in the hot seat, or that was a one off.

So sorry, but he's failing as what I thought he brought to the table. Good pro scouting and action.
I am not saying he's a good GM or will ever be a good GM, all I am implying is that regardless of who the GM was of the team this year, they were NEVER ever going to be aggressive (Sakic or Mac). If that's a mistake, we'll see it in Game 6 of this series and hopefully, Avs FO will learn not to rely on rubbish like Compher, Newhook, Byram, etc. in prime positions.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
At the end of the day, there's no reason we should have a 2023 1st round pick (although right now we might be happy we do)

Plenty of guys could have been had if they pushed hard enough. Hell, Niederreiter went for a 2nd NEXT YEAR and still has an extra year on his deal (probably why he wasn't targeted, but still)

Just a severe lack of effort and creativity to try to make another push. You could see the sag from the players immediately after, they were pissed.

Newhook should have been moved. Even Rodrigues could have been replaced/upgraded. No excuses really.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I am not saying he's a good GM or will ever be a good GM, all I am implying is that regardless of who the GM was of the team this year, they were NEVER ever going to be aggressive (Sakic or Mac). If that's a mistake, we'll see it in Game 6 of this series and hopefully, Avs FO will learn not to rely on rubbish like Compher, Newhook, Byram, etc. in prime positions.

At this point, there's no defending him and it doesn't matter if we go through or not. Look at the product on ice. We look BAD. That's what matters. This team isn't built well. Simple as that.

At the end of the day, there's no reason we should have a 2023 1st round pick (although right now we might be happy we do)

Plenty of guys could have been had if they pushed hard enough. Hell, Niederreiter went for a 2nd NEXT YEAR and still has an extra year on his deal (probably why he wasn't targeted, but still)

Just a severe lack of effort and creativity to try to make another push. You could see the sag from the players immediately after, they were pissed.

Yep. I remember couple games after deadline was meh. I think they hoped for help. Mentally this matters to players. Especially when you see everyone else loading up with talent.. way to throw your team to wolves or under the bus. Whatever you prefer.

Reminds me of my local team who won the Championship. The winning coach left and they hired some nobody and just told the coach to watch tapes of how they played last season and repeat the same. He failed completely and was fired after ten or twenty games. The season was total a shitshow and they missed playoffs. Sounds similar incompetence to me.

It's not easy to repeat. You need fresh faces, fresh legs and more depth because more injuries etc. We didn't adjust to any of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: CobraAcesS

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
At this point, there's no defending him and it doesn't matter if we go through or not. Look at the product on ice. We look BAD. That's what matters. This team isn't built well. Simple as that.
I don't think we have enough data to defend or criticise him at this point personally speaking. He probably made moves that won us a Cup last year and we don't know it because Sakic's name was in the GM spot. Sakic is still a major player in the roster decisions on this team as well, especially at TDL and in the offseason. I know all of us want to be Tampa 2.0 including me, but it's an extremely rare case and they are more of an outlier than the norm.

Again, I think it is foolish for anybody who believes that our front office would've gone out and got an entirely new second line in one off-season. That's the problem everyone is pointing towards and even though it is still a major problem that absolutely has to be fixed, the injuries have exacerbated not only that issue but every single issue on this team from lack of depth to a lack of 2nd line centre. Don't you think Compher would be looking pretty good with wingers of Landeskog and Nuke right now?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs have really gone for it one of the three years the cup window was wide open. That's on both Sakic and MacFarland. This year it was like the year they brought bad Soda and Nemeth. Now it was Nieto and JMFJ. I guess Eller replaced Landeskog in their minds.

I'm thinking they decided to save assets this year because they figured the chance of winning was so low with Landeskog out, it would have been a waste. Sent a signal to the team and judging by their play, the signal was received.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Compher would look good but still not good enough. If two players are carrying you, it doesn't make you good.
That's the point, injuries have caused all the issues and problems with this team to increase tenfold. Today we played a 2nd line of Compher, Rantanen, and Nieto lol. A line of Nuke, Landeskog, and Compher though flawed is still passable to win hockey games.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Avs have really gone for it one of the three years the cup window was wide open. That's on both Sakic and MacFarland. This year it was like the year they brought bad Soda and Nemeth. Now it was Nieto and JMFJ. I guess Eller replaced Landeskog in their minds.

I'm thinking they decided to save assets this year because they figured the chance of winning was so low with Landeskog out, it would have been a waste. Sent a signal to the team and judging by their play, the signal was received.
But look at NHL predictions, we had one of the highest percentage to win the Cup. Like usually around 9-12%. Second after Boston. So saying we had small chance is BS. They must know this data. Although the numbers were not as high during the deadline but we were trending up.

I can't believe they would just give up. We had a good chance.

That's the point, injuries have caused all the issues and problems with this team to increase tenfold. Today we played a 2nd line of Compher, Rantanen, and Nieto lol. A line of Nuke, Landeskog, and Compher though flawed is still passable to win hockey games.

True of course. The injuries have absolutely killed this team. Agree it's fine line to win games.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
But look at NHL predictions, we had one of the highest percentage to win the Cup. Like usually around 9-12%. Second after Boston. So saying we had small chance is BS. They must know this data. Although the numbers were not as high during the deadline but we were trending up.

True of course. The injuries have absolutely killed this team. Agree it's fine line to win games.
Avs aren't winning anything let alone a first-round series against an expansion club going 1 for 13 on the powerplay or whatever it is and a beyond pathetic regular season 5v5 goal-for percentage. I still truly believe that 5v5 is the most important element for the post season and if you constantly lose battles 5v5 then you won't win anything.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
If the Avs lose this series the only change (aside from players) is to move on from Bennett and Pratt. I haven’t been fond of special teams at all this year and they don’t seem to try much anything different. The PP is especially bad with this, the slingshot then get in the zone and pass around the perimeter basically standing still and hoping a lane opens up.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

Predictions made out of advanced stats aren't all that accurate. Moneypuck had Calgary as the second favourite to win the Stanley Cup in february 2023.

If the whole team was healthy Avs might have cracked the top five when it comes to being Cup favourites. With Landeskog out the depth is not there to make a deep run. Probably would have been the same with a rusty Landy as well.

It's a lost year.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
That's exactly it though, you need to plan for injuries and have the depth that can step up when needed. That wasn't addressed, and there was ample opportunity to

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Predictions made out of advanced stats aren't all that accurate. Moneypuck had Calgary as the second favourite to win the Stanley Cup in february 2023.

If the whole team was healthy Avs might have cracked the top five when it comes to being Cup favourites. With Landeskog out the depth is not there to make a deep run. Probably would have been the same with a rusty Landy as well.

It's a lost year.
I love Landy but he isn't big enough reason to throw away a season.

MacK/Makar different thingy and even then.. I think you go for it.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

jimmysheva

Mar 16, 2014
They wanted to give Compher and Newhook a chance to prove themselves and after winning the cup last year, I'd give them a pass for this year. No free pass next year though. Ship out ERod, Compher and Newhook and we'll have enough cap space to get a 2C like Elias Lindholm.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
They wanted to give Compher and Newhook a chance to prove themselves and after winning the cup last year,
If you dont know what you have in Compher by now, well, pack your shit Mr. MacFarland.

They gave Newhook the chance as 2nd line Center, and he failed horrible. That was clear by the end of November. So they had, what, 3 months to solve this and thought JTC would be the solution for the playoffs.

Allright.......

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

Yep. I remember couple games after deadline was meh. I think they hoped for help. Mentally this matters to players. Especially when you see everyone else loading up with talent.. way to throw your team to wolves or under the bus. Whatever you prefer.

Reminds me of my local team who won the Championship. The winning coach left and they hired some nobody and just told the coach to watch tapes of how they played last season and repeat the same. He failed completely and was fired after ten or twenty games. The season was total a shitshow and they missed playoffs. Sounds similar incompetence to me.

It's not easy to repeat. You need fresh faces, fresh legs and more depth because more injuries etc. We didn't adjust to any of that.

You've been banging the drum about hungry players. And it's hard to disagree. Some of the players from last year were old (Helms and Manson). This year a couple of them were on injury/vacation most of the year. Then you have Newhook who now has a Stanley Cup for doing very little.

The offseason should be ruthless to the passengers on this team.

It cant really even afford to buy lottery tickets like Drouin either. This year, the Avs had 20M in dead cap due to inuries. It's not fair to the players who are mostly healthy and carrying the dead weight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad