Salary Cap: Chris MacFarland - Record as Avalanche GM (Updates In First Post)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How would you rate the job Chris MacFarland has done to date as Avalanche GM? (editable)

• Total voters

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Peak HFBoards. Guy helps your team to a Stanley Cup last year. Team has a short summer and is brutalized by injuries. Fire his *ss Obvi. SMH.

Not only is this overly simplistic but it's incorrect.

Option 1 is the lowest amount (at least for now). The other options are between 19 and 23.3. So you're characterization is inaccurate as of this moment.

Also, the excuses you're citing don't cover up the degree of hubris applied towards this roster.

pockets

I haven't slept for 10 days cuz that'd be too long
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Downvoted from 4 to 2, I have a hard time jumping on the “Fire C-Mac” train after 1 season since he’s been J-Sak’s right hand man for so long but he better have one hell of an off-season.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
I’ll have to reserve judgment a bit until the season is over. There were some huge mistakes for sure but I’m not on the FIRE HIK bandwagon, mostly because I truly think his hands were tied by ownership. But even then, I think there’s room for criticism.

It all points to the fact that we all gonna have a long summer. Plenty of time to talk about the season, MacFarland, and this TDL.

For now, i´m pissed. But lets wait how this series unfolds tomorrow.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That's exactly it though, you need to plan for injuries and have the depth that can step up when needed. That wasn't addressed, and there was ample opportunity to
I don't disagree, but I also don't think any team in the league plans for the number of injuries Avs have had, including losing a player for personal reasons. I am not necessarily talking about long-term injuries, Avs have been more banged up with constant nagging injuries that will not go away. More people have been in and out of the line this year like a revolving door than I've ever seen.

Again, I think the lack of successful drafting is getting underplayed here in terms of Avs problems. I am not saying a good scouting team would be drafting Zetterbergs' to replace Kadri or Burakovsky, but draft some players that can be taken advantage of with their ELC due to the salary cap and increased depth. Avs haven't been able to draft or develop any third-liners and the only third-liner they have is looking like a brutal 1st round selection in Newhook which we all expected more out of him (at least offensively).

Last edited:

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
One thing to which none of us are privy is the flexibility of the KSE purse strings. Having $13M in LTIR space does not necessarily mean that Stan was going to give CMac $13M in cash. This is the same ownership which - finally, and after a Cup - upgraded the locker room so NHL standards. The practice facility is still not up to NHL standards. Apparently, Stan likes his money in his pocket. So CMac may not have had the green light from ownership to do something bold.

It's not like CMac came from another organization. He's been AGM here, contributing a lot to roster development. I did not hear that he had massive head trauma, so I think we all need chill a bit and see what happens at the draft and over the summer.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
One thing to which none of us are privy is the flexibility of the KSE purse strings. Having $13M in LTIR space does not necessarily mean that Stan was going to give CMac $13M in cash. This is the same ownership which - finally, and after a Cup - upgraded the locker room so NHL standards. The practice facility is still not up to NHL standards. Apparently, Stan likes his money in his pocket. So CMac may not have had the green light from ownership to do something bold.

It's not like CMac came from another organization. He's been AGM here, contributing a lot to roster development. I did not hear that he had massive head trauma, so I think we all need chill a bit and see what happens at the draft and over the summer.

That's what I've been saying for a while now. I don't think ownership would and probably never will allow the Avs to spend to the limit of their LTIR cash. We need to remember how dirt cheap they were during the first part of the cap era--kept everything to the floor the whole time after getting burned on the Rob Blake contract. They never once allowed an amnesty buyout, and IIRC there have been a grand total of three buyouts if you don't count Brooks Orpik (Beardman, Brad Stuart, Francois Beauchemin). I'm also very curious as to how much money they spend on things behind the scenes, scouting and what not. I believe they have a pretty healthy scouting department but there are other that are much more robust.

What strikes me as strange is that they've hired all these development coaches and done next to nothing to overhaul the drafting. A prime example: Why would you hire Peter Budaj to be a goalie development coach and then half-ass the drafting of netminders? Go look at their draft history when it comes to goalies. That's like hiring a guy to grill you a steak dinner, but you just hand him some table scraps and some half-eaten mutton you wrestled out of the dog's mouth. I get being cheap, but at least be f***ing efficient. You're just wasting money by not attacking the real problem.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
What strikes me as strange is that they've hired all these development coaches and done next to nothing to overhaul the drafting. A prime example: Why would you hire Peter Budaj to be a goalie development coach and then half-ass the drafting of netminders? Go look at their draft history when it comes to goalies. That's like hiring a guy to grill you a steak dinner, but you just hand him some table scraps and some half-eaten mutton you wrestled out of the dog's mouth.
That one made me laugh, sir. Thank you.

AvalancheRy

Feb 13, 2009
This season always felt like a write-off to me personally. The team was perpetually injured and never really got going. So I personally am not going to blame him for not doing anything at the TDL, in fact hindsight makes it the right decision to stand pat. If he was trying to trade assets and it didn't pan out, that would've been a bad decision because this team wasn't going anywhere.

The offseason is really going to be telling. The team has one center on the team really. JT is a nice 3C but not at the price he'll want and Newhook shouldn't be on the team next year. And there is the bottom six is absolute trash. Getting a 2C and even a 3C is going to be absolutely critical if this team wants to compete.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That's what I've been saying for a while now. I don't think ownership would and probably never will allow the Avs to spend to the limit of their LTIR cash. We need to remember how dirt cheap they were during the first part of the cap era--kept everything to the floor the whole time after getting burned on the Rob Blake contract. They never once allowed an amnesty buyout, and IIRC there have been a grand total of three buyouts if you don't count Brooks Orpik (Beardman, Brad Stuart, Francois Beauchemin). I'm also very curious as to how much money they spend on things behind the scenes, scouting and what not. I believe they have a pretty healthy scouting department but there are other that are much more robust.

What strikes me as strange is that they've hired all these development coaches and done next to nothing to overhaul the drafting. A prime example: Why would you hire Peter Budaj to be a goalie development coach and then half-ass the drafting of netminders? Go look at their draft history when it comes to goalies. That's like hiring a guy to grill you a steak dinner, but you just hand him some table scraps and some half-eaten mutton you wrestled out of the dog's mouth. I get being cheap, but at least be f***ing efficient. You're just wasting money by not attacking the real problem.

I hate this narrative.. It sticks to your shoe like chewing gum on a 100 degree day.

The question has been asked over and over directly. The Avs have the ability to operate freely within the rules. That's basically how Sakic puts it, almost scoffs at the idea that he has to ask to spend money.

They don't spend wildly, but I'm sorry no one is hamstrung by the owners. God I wish that would stop. Asked an answered ad freaking nauseum.

They gave Roy like 5M as a rookie coach, and spend right to the cap.

Do we really need the reporters to confirm they can spend LTIR money too? Lmao, I just hate this narrative, with a passion. The shit is stuck in repeat, and reporters were still calling us a budget team as recent as a couple years ago.

No matter what they say or do..

I would not root for this team if they were anything like Anaheim. They also spent plenty before the cap.

/rant

Oh, I think their flaws in drafting and development happen because they're idiots and hire and keep people based on the feels and not results. Nepotism is definitely a flaw of the organization.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Let's also not forget them paying up to keep Bednar, and going 8 years recently.

Budget team.. pshh get off my lawn

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I hate this narrative.. It sticks to your shoe like chewing gum on a 100 degree day.

The question has been asked over and over directly. The Avs have the ability to operate freely within the rules. That's basically how Sakic puts it, almost scoffs at the idea that he has to ask to spend money.

They don't spend wildly, but I'm sorry no one is hamstrung by the owners. God I wish that would stop. Asked an answered ad freaking nauseum.

They gave Roy like 5M as a rookie coach, and spend right to the cap.

Do we really need the reporters to confirm they can spend LTIR money too? Lmao, I just hate this narrative, with a passion. The shit is stuck in repeat, and reporters were still calling us a budget team as recent as a couple years ago.

No matter what they say or do..

I would not root for this team if they were anything like Anaheim. They also spent plenty before the cap.

/rant

Oh, I think their flaws in drafting and development happen because they're idiots and hire and keep people based on the feels and not results. Nepotism is definitely a flaw of the organization.
They get to spend to the cap, but they don't get to spend OVER the cap. I think there's plenty of evidence that supports this.

And while they paid Roy a lot of money (and also, he was way more than just a coach) they've also scrimped on coaches since then. Mind you, this may have been a blessing in disguise because they went with a more untested coach in Jared Bednar and stuck with him after the Season Of Suck, other teams like Dallas went for the more expensive veteran coaches that get recycled about 5-10 times and I don't think their results have been much better. Also, they appear to be paying up for Bednar now that they know what they have.

They are not a "budget" team like the Ducks, but they ain't the Tampa Bay Lightning either.

You can hate the narrative--I don't like it either--but I believe it's true. If they prove me wrong next year, so be it, but I doubt they will. They just happen to find ways to cut corners that aren't readily obvious. The whole thing regarding the practice facility is a huge indicator--Kroenke is trying to parlay that into a giant real estate deal that'll net him potentially billions. It's like Henchy says, unless there's a profit involved, they're actually pretty cheap.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
They get to spend to the cap, but they don't get to spend OVER the cap. I think there's plenty of evidence that supports this.

And while they paid Roy a lot of money (and also, he was way more than just a coach) they've also scrimped on coaches since then. Mind you, this may have been a blessing in disguise because they went with a more untested coach in Jared Bednar and stuck with him after the Season Of Suck, other teams like Dallas went for the more expensive veteran coaches that get recycled about 5-10 times and I don't think their results have been much better. Also, they appear to be paying up for Bednar now that they know what they have.

They are not a "budget" team like the Ducks, but they ain't the Tampa Bay Lightning either.

You can hate the narrative--I don't like it either--but I believe it's true. If they prove me wrong next year, so be it, but I doubt they will. They just happen to find ways to cut corners that aren't readily obvious. The whole thing regarding the practice facility is a huge indicator--Kroenke is trying to parlay that into a giant real estate deal that'll net him potentially billions. It's like Henchy says, unless there's a profit involved, they're actually pretty cheap.

I'm ok with cheap, I'm stingy as hell my self, but the idea they can't dip into LTIR in order to added needed depth to win the Cup, the year after they just won, because of the owners? I just can't.

That practice facility thing is obvious. Why would any business person force something through while having a bigger picture in mind? I wouldn't build a new practice facility either if something like that was in the works. I'm aware how long that's drawn out too. I think we were hearing rumors about that sometime around when I left Colorado in 2011, not 100% though. I remember thinking fk their practice facility lol, I like Elitch Gardens where it is.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm ok with cheap, I'm stingy as hell my self, but the idea they can't dip into LTIR in order to added needed depth to win the Cup, the year after they just won, because of the owners? I just can't.

That practice facility thing is obvious. Why would any business person force something through while having a bigger picture in mind? I wouldn't build a new practice facility either if something like that was in the works. I'm aware how long that's drawn out too. I think we were hearing rumors about that sometime around when I left Colorado in 2011, not 100% though. I remember thinking fk their practice facility lol, I like Elitch Gardens where it is.
Problem is Kroenke already has more money than he'll ever be able to spend. His grandkids' grandkids will be some of the wealthiest people on planet earth.

Him not shelling out money for a practice facility unless it makes him money is him being cheap. The Avs practice facility is a joke. Lest we forget last season when the Avs had to share the f***ing ice with an already booked family session???

He is cheaper than cheap.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Problem is Kroenke already has more money than he'll ever be able to spend. His grandkids' grandkids will be some of the wealthiest people on planet earth.

Him not shelling out money for a practice facility unless it makes him money is him being cheap. The Avs practice facility is a joke. Lest we forget last season when the Avs had to share the f***ing ice with an already booked family session???

People like that aren't rich because they're nice people, and giving. I do not believe they are not willing to do what it takes to win. All of the cursory add ons outside of the cap, yeah they're cheap, but they spend where they're forced to.

I'm not going to believe they wouldn't let Cmac use the LTIR space to win.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
People like that aren't rich because they're nice people, and giving. I do not believe they are not willing to do what it takes to win. All of the cursory add ons outside of the cap, yeah they're cheap, but they spend where they're forced to.

I'm not going to believe they wouldn't let Cmac use the LTIR space to win.
Like you said, though: outside the cap.

They might deem LTIR to be too much outside of the cap, much like they deem the practice facility.

• Wow

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom

The facilities and not being a top spending team is an issue. Players care about these sorts of things and it affects our ability to draw free agents. Pretty sure Cogs said something to that effect last summer in reference to the practice facilities

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Like you said, though: outside the cap.

They might deem LTIR to be too much outside of the cap, much like they deem the practice facility.

🤮

The facilities and not being a top spending team is an issue. Players care about these sorts of things and it affects our ability to draw free agents. Pretty sure Cogs said something to that effect last summer in reference to the practice facilities

Definitely won't put up any fights there. I think they're short on full effort when it comes to spending on that stuff.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I just don't think going all-in at the deadline would have saved this team. Maybe we squeak past Seattle, but I don't see any options that would have radically altered this team's trajectory with all the injuries and f***ery that's gone on this season. No Landeskog, Nuke f***ing off to god knows where, Makar getting himself a suspension, that's all outside of management's control. A few depth pieces here and there wouldn't be bailing this team out from the lackluster postseason play.

We didn't have the assets to spend anymore to get the quality pieces, and they would have been wasted on this roster anyway. We'd all be bitching right now about how we wanted our first round pick back if we had tried to make a push.

This just wasn't our year. We've got our Cup, which is more than a lot of great teams can say. The Rangers with Lundqvist, The Preds with Rinne, the Sharks with Pavelski and Thornton, none of them have Cups to show for it. Winning it all is f***ing hard, and it takes a special mix of chemistry and luck to do it. This year just isn't agreeing with us, I don't think management staying pat is the worst decision in the world.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Did they know at the time of deadline there will be no landeskog? Because I thought there was a bit of hope about Landy coming back?

Yes, in hindsight it's easy to say we shouldn't go all in because Nuke situation and Landys failed recovery from the injury. Also add to that most of the top players seems burned out from the regular season and the previous long playoffs. Makar especially.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad