Salary Cap: Chris MacFarland - Record as Avalanche GM (Updates In First Post)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How would you rate the job Chris MacFarland has done to date as Avalanche GM? (editable)

• Total voters

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
At the time Sakic was rightfully roasted. He made a bunch of really dumb decisions and the team turned into complete crap.

The one saving grace was that the Avs couldn't win anyway. McFarland doesn't have that luxury, he took over a cup contender and has so far flushed one season down the toilet. If he doesn't get a grip real soon the Avs are in trouble, the clock is ticking and the window won't last long.
Of course Sakic’s trading improved once MacFarland came on board and Roy went out.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
So if Kyle Dubas hits the market, do the Avs find a new job title and promote Mac to another role within the Kroenke empire and go after Dubas.

Joe tried to get him a few years back.

Avs won’t have the outright cash that other markets might throw at him, but the franchise philosophy matches perfectly with Dubas and seemingly would be a match made in heaven.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
So if Kyle Dubas hits the market, do the Avs find a new job title and promote Mac to another role within the Kroenke empire and go after Dubas.

Avs won’t have the outright cash that other markets might throw at him, but the franchise philosophy matches perfectly with Dubas and seemingly would be a match made in heaven.
We already overpay our UFA. The 250k jokes would turn into 2 milly jokes

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Hope not.

Dubas is most useful to the Avalanche as GM of another team to exploit in trades.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm sure you are talking about the Flyers here. A team needs to be interested in that team's players first before trying to make a deal. It's not because Avs' fans want the players that the GM should. If they don't believe the player will be a good fit then there won't even be an offer for him. Simple as that.

I see the thought process. However both JVR and Hayes wee different kind of deals that would have helped. Hayes, obviously crazy deal, JVR was cheap, and he's a net front guy. You just have to get him there. We lost that with Nuke and Landy.

There was value there.

Reactions: The Moops

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
God it would of been easy to give JVR two line mates and a D set that could take advantage of his fat ass.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
CMac’s true test is gonna be in this offseason.

How is he gonna replace Landy
Find a 2C
Fix the bottom 6

Those are his main challenges. You can give him a break for this season because Landy was supposed to be back, then it was keep getting pushed back and back so CMac’s hands were kinda tied up. Also he couldn’t control what happened to Nuke etc…

I’ll grade him after next season.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Today Cmac either draws the gut shot straight or gets stuck with a low pair. If RyJo is the new solution for 2C, meaning CMac does not move Newhook, 23 1st, 24 1st and either Girard or Toews, then we might see a lot of people subtracting a point from his rating.

Mac / Lindholm / RyJo / Meyers is enticing spine to a team. Mac / RyJo / JTC (or Eller) / Meyers very much less exciting. Making the latter situation worse are the poor decisions on Manson, plus the $250K too much triplets.

Right now, I say," Go big or Go home!" Send Toews packing for a legit 2C in the Kadri (but younger) talent range. Send 1 of those firsts out to a cellar dweller to retain on the 2C, and use Newhook and the remaining 1st to get a Landy replacement at 1W.

pockets

I haven't slept for 10 days cuz that'd be too long
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
I’m at a 2 to start this off-season, I’ll wait until the roster is filled out to make any changes but after today’s RyJo trade CMac is looking worse…

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Today Cmac either draws the gut shot straight or gets stuck with a low pair. If RyJo is the new solution for 2C, meaning CMac does not move Newhook, 23 1st, 24 1st and either Girard or Toews, then we might see a lot of people subtracting a point from his rating.

Mac / Lindholm / RyJo / Meyers is enticing spine to a team. Mac / RyJo / JTC (or Eller) / Meyers very much less exciting. Making the latter situation worse are the poor decisions on Manson, plus the $250K too much triplets.

Right now, I say," Go big or Go home!" Send Toews packing for a legit 2C in the Kadri (but younger) talent range. Send 1 of those firsts out to a cellar dweller to retain on the 2C, and use Newhook and the remaining 1st to get a Landy replacement at 1W.

He's playing a draw game and it's early in the hand. He can still swap a card or two for better ones.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
He's playing a draw game and it's early in the hand. He can still swap a card or two for better ones.

As someone who plays exclusively Texas hold'em. I see it as a flush draw, needing one card with two to go.

You have a high chance at a monster hand that's hard to see coming. So you can both act strong, and bluff if needed, or act strong, and play it down after you get your hand baiting the rest of the way.

However if the turn doesn't go your way, there is still a chance, but if you get read and push hard on a one card draw you are pretty likely to lose half your stack if it doesn't go your way.

Right now he's got high odds at a hand that often goes unseen. We'll see what his next move is, and how the turn goes.

I can't fully read him yet after being so conservative lately, but we have the Duchene trade, and last season which was a weak ass play.

Maybe he's a Donkey, maybe he's Phil Hellmuth. 🤯🤣

Ps.. I hate that dude, still not sure if he's actually good at Poker or not. But you can't deny results lol.

Moved from a 1 to a 2 though as GM, and could jump to 4 or 5 depending on his next moves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Foppa2118

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012

Mate, we came 7th overall while being destroyed by injury. We came home with a wet sail (storming up the standings) because players started getting healthier.

We are the most talented team on the planet. Skill, class and compete all the way through.

Enough talent to use those picks to strengthen the farm for longer term, sustainable success.

"It's all or nothing" like some are saying in my view, given the strength and ability of our team, is maybe panicking when we don't need to.

My opinion, is CMac has played everything cool, calm and collected despite the various pressures of everyone demanding immediate change. RyJo is a godsend, and cost us no assets, despite 65 odd percent of Landys LTIR compensation.

You just watch, we'll improve if we stay healthy. We'll not be satisfied with last season. We are going to tear the competition apart next season, and I'm calling top 2-3 in the league , EASY.

CMac has performed perfectly despite his challenges and adversity faced. He should have been GM of the year imo.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Just a question:

St Louis paid essentially nothing to get Kevin Hayes at 50% retention from Philly. That is $3.5M for the next 3 years.

Mac > RyJo>Hayes> Meyers looks like a good spine. Hayes essentially slots into the JTC role, and with less cap hit ( in theory. Nobody thinks JTC is coming back for the same salary as last year.)

Is it bad that CMac missed this opportunity? Or is it smart that he passed on Hayes?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Just a question:

St Louis paid essentially nothing to get Kevin Hayes at 50% retention from Philly. That is $3.5M for the next 3 years.

Mac > RyJo>Hayes> Meyers looks like a good spine. Hayes essentially slots into the JTC role, and with less cap hit ( in theory. Nobody thinks JTC is coming back for the same salary as last year.)

Is it bad that CMac missed this opportunity? Or is it smart that he passed on Hayes?

You have to wait to see the whole picture not materialize...just like the TDL.

pockets

I haven't slept for 10 days cuz that'd be too long
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Spoke too soon, sticking at 2

Like the Newhook and Colton trades but that’s about it since he’s taken over, picking at 27+31 is a fail when the Avs window is now

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad