Salary Cap: Chris MacFarland - Record as Avalanche GM (Updates In First Post)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How would you rate the job Chris MacFarland has done to date as Avalanche GM? (editable)

• Total voters

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
CMac and Klippenstein's 2023 draft.

Picks

• 1st Round (#27) - Calum Ritchie - C - Right - 6'2" 187lbs - Oshawa Generals [OHL]
  • 1st Round (#31) - Mikhail Gulyayev - D - Left - 5'10" 172 lbs - Omskie Yastreby [Rus-MHL]
  • 5th Round (#155) - Nikita Ishimnikov - D - Right - 6'3" 194 lbs - Yekaterinburg Auto Jr. [Rus-MHL]
  • 6th Round (#187) - Jeremy Hanzel - D - Left - 6'1" 196 lbs - Seattle Thunderbirds [WHL]
  • 7th Round (#219) - Maros Jedlicka - C/W - 6'2" 198 lbs - Zvolen HKm [Slovak]

I mentioned this in Ritchie's thread, but this is the first time in Avalanche history, they've drafted a center taller than 6'0" in the 1st round. You have to go back to 1991 with Lindros as a franchise too.

Might have been a philosophy change with Klippenstein.

• 2023 - Calum Ritchie - 6'2"
  • 2019 - Alex Newhook - 5'10"
  • 2016 - Tyson Jost - 5'11"
  • 2014 - Conner Bleackley - 6'0"
  • 2013 - Nathan MacKinnon - 6'0"
  • 2010 - Joey Hishon - 5'10"
  • 2009 - Matt Duchene - 5'11"
  • 2000 - Vaclav Nederost - 6'0"

Last edited:

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

Picks

• 1st Round (#27) - Calum Ritchie - C - Right - 6'2" 187lbs - Oshawa Generals [OHL]
  • 1st Round (#31) - Mikhail Gulyayev - D - Left - 5'10" 172 lbs - Omskie Yastreby [Rus-MHL]
  • 5th Round (#155) - Nikita Ishimnikov - D - Right - 6'3" 194 lbs - Yekaterinburg Auto Jr. [Rus-MHL]
  • 6th Round (#187) - Jeremy Hanzel - D - Left - 6'1" 196 lbs - Seattle Thunderbirds [WHL]

I mentioned this in Ritchie's thread, but this is the first time in Avalanche history, they've drafted a center taller than 6'0". You have to go back to 1991 with Lindros as a franchise too.

I guess that list is only for the 1st round. Avs must have picked a C in later rounds that is taller than 6'0", right?

Nevertheless it's an intriguing observation. I wonder who are the quality big centers we legitimately passed on for those picks.

Reactions: Foppa2118

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I guess that list is only for the 1st round. Avs must have picked a C in later rounds that is taller than 6'0", right?

Nevertheless it's an intriguing observation. I wonder who are the quality big centers we legitimately passed on for those picks.
Yeah, Ryan O'Reilly is 6'1", but he was picked in the second.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Oh yeah sorry. I mentioned in the 1st round in the other post, but forgot that part here. First time they've drafted a center taller than 6'0" in the first round since 1991 with Lindros.

They've drafted like 5 or so outside the first round in Colorado. I stopped looking after I saw a few.

It just hasn't been their MO in the first round. I'd say it's speed concerns, but they're not usually too concerned with that.

I think Pracey and Hepple both just preferred the smaller or averaged sized skilled centers. Maybe they just thought the bigger guys had more risk associated with them, or potentially not a good fit on the team in a top six role or something.

They might have just emphasized skill way more than everything else in the first round, and always thought the smaller guys had more skill. They seemed ok drafting bigger centers as role players.

Last edited:
Reactions: niwotsblessing

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Picks

I mentioned this in Ritchie's thread, but this is the first time in Avalanche history, they've drafted a center taller than 6'0" in the 1st round. You have to go back to 1991 with Lindros as a franchise too.

Well, if this is the New Jost effect, I'm not sure if it's better. But maybe his skating isn't so good it can't be fixed. Guess we'll see.

I'm pissed we used the picks, but I'll stick with 3 until it looks like we're done.

I expect at least one to two more creative moves. Either a 3C, to allow Buzz light year to play LW, or a winger similar to give a shot to, or a dumpster rat we have to give life to at the very least that might be able to play there.

The bottom six is obvious.. so is the D, Girard should probably be moved, but let's see how creative McFarland gets.

Reactions: pockets

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
and after two good trades right before the draft CMac goes back to kicking Avs fans in the dick on the first day of free agency and is hovering between 1-2.

Filling a top 6 spot with a stud like Drouin and giving a 6 year deal to a middling 3rd-4th liner is some tidy work on FA day.

• Haha
Reactions: CobraAcesS

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
and after two good trades right before the draft CMac goes back to kicking Avs fans in the dick on the first day of free agency and is hovering between 1-2.
You're not happy with:

Ryan Johansen (50% retained)
Jonathan Drouin
Miles Wood
Ross Colton
31st pick - Mikhail Gulyayev
37th pick - used to acquire Colton
Gianni Fairbrother
Re-signing Byram on bridge @ 3.85M per

+ Not giving away any further draft considerations
+ Still with the ability to sign JJ, Rodrigues, Cogliano and possible another player

all the while being heavily salary cap restrained? Okay, we gave up Newhook and traded away the 37th overall pick (Ethan Gauthier), but out of all that, you're calling CMac kicked AVS fans in the dick?

Hahahahahahaha.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
To be honest, I never know when I'm reading a serious take or sarcasm anymore.

If it makes me laugh, I appreciate it; if it makes me think, I love it; and if it doesn't do any of that, I usually assume the poster is either drunk or just accidently hitting the keyboard while eating chickpea pasta and ass.

pockets

I haven't slept for 10 days cuz that'd be too long
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
You're not happy with:

Ryan Johansen (50% retained)
Jonathan Drouin
Miles Wood
Ross Colton
31st pick - Mikhail Gulyayev
37th pick - used to acquire Colton
Gianni Fairbrother
Re-signing Byram on bridge @ 3.85M per

+ Not giving away any further draft considerations
+ Still with the ability to sign JJ, Rodrigues, Cogliano and possible another player

all the while being heavily salary cap restrained? Okay, we gave up Newhook and traded away the 37th overall pick (Ethan Gauthier), but out of all that, you're calling CMac kicked AVS fans in the dick?

Hahahahahahaha.
We’ve got 2 reclamation projects in the top 6 while paying a 3rd pairing D $5m, and handing out a 6 year contract to a bottom 6 winger while still having ~$8m in cap space for role players?

RyJo is cooked, Drouin is straight out of the dumpster, and you’re really as happy as a pig in shit?

• Haha
Reactions: niwotsblessing

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
We’ve got 2 reclamation projects in the top 6 while paying a 3rd pairing D $5m, and handing out a 6 year contract to a bottom 6 winger while still having ~$8m in cap space for role players?

RyJo is cooked, Drouin is straight out of the dumpster, and you’re really as happy as a pig in shit?

That's completely far left pessimistic. How about this:

1. List all the players who come here under Bednar, and go to a completely new level?
2. You're complaining about G being on the 3rd pair? How is that a NEGATIVE? Shows depth.
3. We needed a 1L (filled), 2C (filled), 3C (filled) - spent 4.75 odd on that (Colton still to be factored)
4. We are deeper, have a heap of experience coming in, and $$$ left to round us out.

etc etc etc, I'm not going to go on, you'll just get frustrated with me - but you get the ideas.

What's wrong mate? Are you okay? I'm going for a kayak out on the beach today, back to the gym, some afternoon tea with the beautiful missus, then probably cuddles and Netflix. Cheer up - we are okay, and CMac has worked absolute wonders with what he has to work with.

Maybe look on both sides of things, rather than just all the negatives.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The results will be the proof, everything about the roster right now is theoretical. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but given the constraints under the salary cap with MacK's massive new deal I think this is probably the best maneuvering we could have hoped for. The flat cap hit at the worst possible time for our window.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The results will be the proof, everything about the roster right now is theoretical. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but given the constraints under the salary cap with MacK's massive new deal I think this is probably the best maneuvering we could have hoped for. The flat cap hit at the worst possible time for our window.

One more move for the D that's solid, or even a move on D, a Girard trade, and another strong forward move.

We need something to cover for Manson's potential health issues.

Oh, and re-sign Towes to a solid deal.

I'll take

Drouin - Mack - Nuke
Lehkky - Ryjo - Mikko
Woods - Colton - Bert
Cogs - Meyers -LOC

Towes - Makar
Byram - Manson
Girard - Foote
JJ
Small guy & Foudy as call ups.

That might be possible now, not 100% sure though.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

Your comments and concerns are completely valid. Don't let the head-in-the-sand optimism beat you down. Your skepticism is well founded.

The question is, if you're right in 5 months, will people do a mea culpa? If you bump this, they'll fake victimhood and gaslight you as the one being the jerk.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Your comments and concerns are completely valid. Don't let the head-in-the-sand optimism beat you down. Your skepticism is well founded.

The question is, if you're right in 5 months, will people do a mea culpa? If you bump this, they'll fake victimhood and gaslight you as the one being the jerk.

Haha, no.. but they'll definitely point it out if you're wrong.

You should ignore the depths of this bored lol.

Why not have a little optimism? Plenty of reasons for it.

Reactions: pockets

pockets

I haven't slept for 10 days cuz that'd be too long
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain

Thank you!

I honestly hope I'm wrong in 5 months, or better yet next June. And if/when I am right, while I won't come out and say "I told you so" by bumping this or any thread, just knowing I was right is good enough for me.

Haha, no.. but they'll definitely point it out if you're wrong.

You should ignore the depths of this bored lol.

Why not have a little optimism? Plenty of reasons for it.

Of course they will, been around these parts long enough to know that. Ate my fair share of crow after the last season bc of calling for Bendar's head the year before after the Vegas series.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Thank you!

I honestly hope I'm wrong in 5 months, or better yet next June. And if/when I am right, while I won't come out and say "I told you so", I'll definitely be thinking it.

Of course they will, been around these parts long enough to know that. Ate my fair share of crow after the last season and calling for Bendar's head the year before after the Vegas series. This situation is quite a bit different though.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Oh I was on the fire Cmac wagon after the playoffs. Opinions change..

I don't really have to prepare for the worst with the Avs, that's Cmac's job, and for a cap strapped team he took some legit shots, that are allowing us to keep our entire left side on D.

It's definitely a better team than last year, and wingers will be way easier to get than a 2C and a 3C that can both potentially play up in injuries.

It's not perfect, but it's a far cry from what we went in with last year.

We need bodies, so our star players are not half dead going into the playoffs.

A lot of the moves have potential, but also have recently played at the level needed for where they're slotted.

I can't complain too much tbh.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Oh I was on the fire Cmac wagon after the playoffs. Opinions change..

I don't really have to prepare for the worst with the Avs, that's Cmac's job, and for a cap strapped team he took some legit shots, that are allowing us to keep our entire left side on D.

It's definitely a better team than last year, and wingers will be way easier to get than a 2C and a 3C that can both potentially play up in injuries.

It's not perfect, but it's a far cry from what we went in with last year.

We need bodies, so our star players are not half dead going into the playoffs.

A lot of the moves have potential, but also have recently played at the level needed for where they're slotted.

I can't complain too much tbh.

and he’s still not done, still plenty of names out there.

• Love
Reactions: Sea Eagles

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
To be honest, I never know when I'm reading a serious take or sarcasm anymore.

If it makes me laugh, I appreciate it; if it makes me think, I love it; and if it doesn't do any of that, I usually assume the poster is either drunk or just accidently hitting the keyboard while eating chickpea pasta and ass.
It's very easy. If it is a positive post coming from nammerus it is obviously sarcasm.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
That's completely far left pessimistic. How about this:

1. List all the players who come here under Bednar, and go to a completely new level?
2. You're complaining about G being on the 3rd pair? How is that a NEGATIVE? Shows depth.
3. We needed a 1L (filled), 2C (filled), 3C (filled) - spent 4.75 odd on that (Colton still to be factored)
4. We are deeper, have a heap of experience coming in, and $$$ left to round us out.

etc etc etc, I'm not going to go on, you'll just get frustrated with me - but you get the ideas.

What's wrong mate? Are you okay? I'm going for a kayak out on the beach today, back to the gym, some afternoon tea with the beautiful missus, then probably cuddles and Netflix. Cheer up - we are okay, and CMac has worked absolute wonders with what he has to work with.

Maybe look on both sides of things, rather than just all the negatives.
I dont share their negative view, but i feel your optimism is not warranted either.
Yes, we filled 3 positions of need, but only one of those (Colton) does come without any major question marks. Could CMac do better? I dont know - but i am pretty sure that calling what he did at this point “absolute wonders” is tad premature.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
So far I am very happy with CMac's moves this summer considering the cap space we had to start with. Still some work to do though.

One concern I have is how well we are going to do 5v5 defensively. We are starting to have quite a few players in our top-9 that are not known for their defensive play. Bednar will have a lot of work to do to get this bunch to suppress opponents' high scoring chances.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
So far I am very happy with CMac's moves this summer considering the cap space we had to start with. Still some work to do though.

One concern I have is how well we are going to do 5v5 defensively. We are starting to have quite a few players in our top-9 that are not known for their defensive play. Bednar will have a lot of work to do to get this bunch to suppress opponents' high scoring chances.
As long as they fit the system they'll be fine. On the cup winning team Burakovsky, Kadri, Newhook, and NAK all weren't known for their defensive play.

If the ice is tilted on the opponents end of the ice individual player's defense matters less, which is why Bednar's system is simple, effective, but demanding.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad