Rumor: Chris Johnston: Leafs will land 2 of the top D men available.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
On the Chris Johnston show, CJ straight up said the Leafs WILL land 2 of the top D men available.

He did say one of them probably comes via trade which is interesting because we haven't really heard much in terms of which D men are on the trade market this summer.

There was talk of Parayko being available at the deadline and the Leafs were the main team talked about.

Now that Berube is coach I wonder if that gets revisited.

There are also heavy rumours of them being in on Pesce.

Maybe make the godfather offer to him.

Sounds like Brad is cooking
Remember last time we got the best 2 available free agent Dmen? It vaulted us to the top defence in the league with Komosarek and Beauchemin!!!!

I’ll pull the parade file up and get working!!

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It might have changed but teams can speak to agents the day after the draft no? They cant sign anything until July 1st at noon.....

A month away....a team will get spanked for that

That was the case at one time but that's officially gone.

That's not to say teams aren't talking to players because of course they are, otherwise we wouldn't get deals done 15 minutes after free agency opens but the legal tampering period is no more.
Well I don't think a team is that dumb. However, just cause I am a Habs fans. I certainly hope The Leafs are

So you do believe that multi million dollar contracts that are signed 15 minutes after free agency opens actually take 15 minutes to put?

Like I said I have several bridges in Japan to sell you

Remember last time we got the best 2 available free agent Dmen? It vaulted us to the top defence in the league with Komosarek and Beauchemin!!!!

I’ll pull the parade file up and get working!!
This team is MUCH better than that team

Bust

Jul 28, 2016

That's not to say teams aren't talking to players because of course they are, otherwise we wouldn't get deals done 15 minutes after free agency opens but the legal tampering period is no more.

So you do believe that multi million dollar contracts that are signed 15 minutes after free agency opens actually take 15 minutes to put?

I’m only playing brother, I think I’m losing it a bit watching everyone else having fun in the playoffs, again.

Fingers crossed we pickup a couple of solid dmen, re-sign Domi and grab a tendy. No more forwards.

Go leafs go.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I’m only playing brother, I think I’m losing it a bit watching everyone else having fun in the playoffs, again.

Fingers crossed we pickup a couple of solid dmen, re-sign Domi and grab a tendy. No more forwards.

Go leafs go.

I Disagree with no more forwards, Bertuzzi and Domi are free agents, they need to be replaced and It's not as simple as bringing up Marlies not replace those guys.

Plus they could trade Marner.

They have to bring in forwards

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Maybe but not necessarily they have about 21 million with Marner on the roster so they don't HAVE to move him.

You were given a time stamp so my question is why lie?

Because you did lie the time stamp proves it.
21 million for two goalies is like at least 8 million if they plan on getting a true 1a (6 million +) and backup of Quality is at least 2 million even more for someone like CDS and they clearly feel they can't trust Woll.

Now I don't think Zadorov makes it to July 1st but for shits and giggles let's say he does his price for Vancouver is reportedly 5 million and that's because he wants to stay so six million is very likely. Pesce apparently might get 7 tho that seems nuts. Leafs to get to 21 are running a shortened roster yes? So that's the max amount without any moves and those two d and say Marky and a shitty 2 mill backup eats the entire bag and you still need what 3 forwards including replacing burt and Domi? Its impossible but it's moot because this rumour is such BS since there's no way any insider would know this 3 weeks before ufa season starts.
The leafs have proven that having more than two players making 10+ especially all forwards makes it almost impossible to build a team that can win a cup, leafs have 4 all forwards, they really need to somehow get out of the Taveres contract and try for a hockey trade with Marner.
Haters say Marner has no value but that's just dumb, guys a 90 point player in his prime, they likely don't get full value but cap freedom is priceless. I think the hawks would be a team that makes sense and Vegas has proven a rebuild can be done without a long drawn out affair and they have some great pieces to build around and there's some solid ufa over the next 3 years and could probably build a playoff team over the next two seasons

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
So why doesn't he just come out and say who those available dmen are rather than saying two of the top dmen.

It's like saying the leafs are going to acquire the top player in the league, rather than saying mcdavid.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
I Disagree with no more forwards, Bertuzzi and Domi are free agents, they need to be replaced and It's not as simple as bringing up Marlies not replace those guys.

Plus they could trade Marner.

They have to bring in forwards
I think by paying more cap on forwards you’re paying for luxuries that most other teams prioritize by promoting internally, kind of like what we’ve been doing with our D (Durzi, Holl, Sandin, Lilj)

We’ve got Robertson who needs to be promoted full time, Cowan is banging on the door (I’d burn the ELC yr and have him with the team, playing approx 40 games, rotating in and out with Reaves). Holmberg can play in the bottom 6. Mcmann middle 6. I’d even give Minten an extended look.

I would be cool with a true 2nd line centre to bump JT to the wing or a 3rd line centre roll, but outside of that (and Domi) we need to be looking to fill these FWD holes internally and recoup some skill on defence through free agency.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc

Well clearly you haven't read anything I've said. I'm sure they are ways around the issue but if they are locked and deals are in place then yes they have tampered and should be investigated.

For example, we all knew Campbell weas going to Edmonton and we even knew what the contract was. Did they talk to him beforehand or did they talk to a friendly reporter and give like maybe this and possibly that so that Campbell gets the idea without talking to anyone in Edmonton. Sketchy for sure but not really tampering.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Leafs have ~19 mil in cap space and only have

10 forwards
3 NHL regular D-men
1 NHL(?) golatender

You are countingCade Webber and Conor Timmins remove their salary, because short of the defense being destroyed by injury they are not going to be on the roster.

So if you remove their salary you are just shy of 21 million

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well clearly you haven't read anything I've said. I'm sure they are ways around the issue but if they are locked and deals are in place then yes they have tampered and should be investigated.

For example, we all knew Campbell weas going to Edmonton and we even knew what the contract was. Did they talk to him beforehand or did they talk to a friendly reporter and give like maybe this and possibly that so that Campbell gets the idea without talking to anyone in Edmonton. Sketchy for sure but not really tampering.

Mikyehev admitted after he signed in Vancouver that he knew he was going to Vancouver a month before he signed in Vancouver.

How do you think he knew that?

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
In other words, leafs will add 2 dmen and the Toronto media will declare them 2 of the best available. Considering they only have 5 dmen under contract and 2 of them are AHLers its not a huge surprise they'd add more.
There's a reason the team has a reputation for needing players with thick skin. A post like that getting so many "likes" is fitting for this forum though.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

I think you might have misheard......rough transcription:

"I think the Leafs are probably going to sign two defensemen. Or trade for a defenseman and sign another one. Probably looking at two of the top 6 have to be new bodies next year."

I don't think he meant that the Leafs were going to acquire two of the top six free agents. He meant that they have to replace two of the guys on their blue line with the various guys they had who are also free agents.

Seems more like conjecture for a daily podcast than anything concrete.

That’s sounds more reasonable.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
You are countingCade Webber and Conor Timmins remove their salary, because short of the defense being destroyed by injury they are not going to be on the roster.

So if you remove their salary you are just shy of 21 million
that still makes saying 3 D needed, correct, but can get you to 21.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad