Chiarot - Seider

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
If Severson costs 5 million while we have a ton of cap space then I'm totally fine with that. It would give Detroit one of the deepest defense corps in the entire league.

Edvinsson - Seider
Maatta - Hronek
Chiarot - Severson

Granted, even with Mayfield that would still be a solid group.
So Ed's ELC runs most of Chia's deal (I half wonder if that's the hesitence to call him up, as I think he's slide eligible, right?).
Hronek is going to get a big bump in '24 unless he regresses.
Seider is going to get HUGE money in '24.
What're we giving Maatta?
$10M+ on the 3rd? Yikes...

EDIT - napkin math, that's a $30M+ AAV blueline in '24. Probably only $20M in '23 (between Mo and Hronek they are going to cost us at least $10M/yr more).

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Määttä could get 3.75M or something for 3-4 years, he'll be 32 then and time to move on.

That's a damn bargain money, for good level 2nd pair guy, who could fall to 3rd pair at some point.

There will be nothing else but cap space on next 10 off-seasons, thanks to:

A) our great cap situation, thanks to Yzerman short-term deals.
B) huge cap rise coming, after we are considering longer deals.

Red Wings cap management will be most admired thing in whole NHL after some seasons. How everything was possible, people are wondering mouths open from outside, how all this was possible.

We can push push push, season after season. The push will probably end after ~16 years at 2038, when Marco Kasper is 34, Seider is 37-year old, and Raymond 36.

Last edited:

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
So Ed's ELC runs most of Chia's deal (I half wonder if that's the hesitence to call him up, as I think he's slide eligible, right?).
Hronek is going to get a big bump in '24 unless he regresses.
Seider is going to get HUGE money in '24.
What're we giving Maatta?
$10M+ on the 3rd? Yikes...

EDIT - napkin math, that's a $30M+ AAV blueline in '24. Probably only $20M in '23 (between Mo and Hronek they are going to cost us at least $10M/yr more).

Dude. Please stop using Chia. It’s the same as using “we” “us” when talking about the Red Wings, like you are on the team. What’s the matter w you ?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Määttä could get 3.75M or something for 3-4 years, he'll be 32 then and time to move on.

That's a damn bargain money, for good level 2nd pair guy, who could fall to 3rd pair at some point.

There will be nothing else but cap space on next 10 off-seasons, thanks to:

A) our great cap situation, thanks to Yzerman short-term deals.
B) huge cap rise coming, after we are considering longer deals.

Red Wings cap management will be most admired thing in whole NHL after some seasons. How everything was possible, people are wondering mouths open from outside, how all this was possible.

We can push push push, season after season. The push will probably end after ~16 years at 2038, when Marco Kasper is 34, Seider is 37-year old, and Raymond 36.
The problem is at some point the magic short-term deals either need to get bigger or we will constantly have a rotating roster which is a bit worrisome because at some point we are going to miss hard on a UFA signing. And I mean Nielsen hard, not Copp/Chia hard (according to some).

If we retain Maatta and Kubalik, which we definitely should, they are going to cost way more than they do currently at a combined $4.75M AAV.

The following players are going to be making significantly more money in '24 than they are now: (my estimates)
Seider - $8M more
Raymond - $6M more
Larkin - $3M more
Kubalik - $3-4M more
Maatta - $1M more
Rasmussen - $3-4M more
Berggren - $2M more
EDIT shit forgot Hronek - $2M more.

That's $30M

What are we doing with Bert? A replacement won't be cheap.
Vrana?
Perron?

That's $15-20M there.

It starts to add up quick. To assume we'll be in capspace gravy land for 20 years is silly.

Last edited:

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
The good news is Hronek looks just as good with Walman, so if Maatta wants something crazy, well adios.

Dude. Please stop using Chia. It’s the same as using “we” “us” when talking about the Red Wings, like you are on the team. What’s the matter w you ?
What? Chill, I call Seider Mo. I don't expect to hang out with him or anything.

Reactions: 14ari13

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
It will be interesting to see, who will finally be the odd man out.

I like both Walman and Määttä, and Chiarot is locked for years. Edvinsson is coming. The left side has too many people.

Ideally, Yzerman should find a veteran Righty to 3rd pair, mentoring mostly Edvinsson.

So Määttä or Walman should be the trade baits. At this point, I'd extend Määttä, because he has been better at heavier 2nd pair workload. Walman shines as 3rd pair guy, but did not get anyhow to Määttä-level with Hronek at 2nd pair.

In my perfect world, both Oesterle and Walman are traded, vet RhD brought in, and Edvinsson promoted up.

Chiarot - Seider
Määttä - Hronek
Edvinsson - RhD vet

Don't know could this happen at this season, but almost for sure, that's the structure after next off-season.

2023 off-season UFAs:

RD John Klingberg, ANA, 30y (not really interested in him anymore, we have great PP QBs, guy just sucks defensively too bad)
RD Erik Johnson, COL, 35y (too old, will retire?)
RD Matt Dumba, MIN, 28v (interesting guy, could be out because of Minnesota cap hell, and Calen Addison is cheap & young replament) Maybe best long-term value player in the UFA market
RD Damon Severson, NJD, 28y (could be odd man out, Marino and Hamilton are signed for years, and RD Nemec coming)
RD Travis Hamonic, OTT, 32y
RD Radgo Gudas, FLO, 33y (maybe most ideal fit for 3rd pair role, real pain-in-the ass player)
RD Nick Jensen, WSH, 32y
RD Justin Holl, TOR, 31y (guy who has been playing over his head for seasons, maybe right fit could be 3rd pair role)
RD Scott Mayfield, NYI, 30y
RD Anton Strålman, BOS, 36y (yeah, too old, but man, former Tampa guy and great swedish mentor for Ed)
RD Trevor van Riemsdyk, WSH, 31y

Quite a lot of right-handed options at next summer. Yzerman would find a guy for sure.
Radgo Gudas.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I like that Mo has identified a solid backup plan.

1672334525641.png

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
The "Hands are bigger than you may think" answer... We should start calling him MoRIZZ Seider.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Finally a change, but I don't like of those changes at all.

I just don't get it why don't they use pairings which have shown that they'll work. Like Määttä - Hronek did work and Walman-Oesterle did work. Then they did pslit these up, and got Hronek playing his worst hockey of the season.

It feels like they are making TANK moves, on a worse direction. Because there is lot of data of possible pairings which would be good, but they aren't using them.

Määttä - Hronek
Walman - Seider
Chiarot - Oesterle

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

I just don't get it why don't they use pairings which have shown that they'll work. Like Määttä - Hronek did work and Walman-Oesterle did work. Then they did pslit these up, and got Hronek playing his worst hockey of the season.

It feels like they are making TANK moves, on a worse direction. Because there is lot of data of possible pairings which would be good, but they aren't using them.

Määttä - Hronek
Walman - Seider
Chiarot - Oesterle
I think Matta isn't 100% yet, his TOI was low last game.

Reactions: Henkka

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
First game separated with new pairs:

Walman - Seider, 1 goal against
Chiarot - Hronek, 0 goals against
Määttä - Oesterle, 1 goal against

Same pairs were kept together at PK.

PK
Walman - Seider, no single shot against (I mean single shot on goal, think they did block 1-2)
Chiarot - Hronek, no goals against.

Promising start.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
First game separated with new pairs:

Walman - Seider, 1 goal against
Chiarot - Hronek, 0 goals against
Määttä - Oesterle, 1 goal against

Same pairs were kept together at PK.

PK
Walman - Seider, no single shot against (I mean single shot on goal, think they did block 1-2)
Chiarot - Hronek, no goals against.

Promising start.

The other two pairs shouldn't have had goals against either, as Hellberg let in two stinkers.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The other two pairs shouldn't have had goals against either, as Hellberg let in two stinkers.
You can see it many ways, If Walman defends better, and steals the puck away from Giroux, that shot on goal never happens (which Hellberg did fumble in).

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Määttä - Hronek
Walman - Seider
Chiarot - Oesterle

I think Matta isn't 100% yet, his TOI was low last game.
I also think Maatta is not 100%

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The Chiarot signing was horrible the second it happened
Based on TOI, it's Seider that got demoted not Chiarot. Chiarot/Hronek is the top pair.

Seider actually had the lowest TOI for all D going into the third period last game, got less than 20 minutes in both game after the separation.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Based on TOI, it's Seider that got demoted not Chiarot. Chiarot/Hronek is the top pair.

Seider actually had the lowest TOI for all D going into the third period last game, got less than 20 minutes in both game after the separation.
Even strength?

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Something just seems off with Seider this year. Last year he he was smiling all the time. This year it looks like he’s sulking most of the time, even when the Wings score. I don’t think I’m making this up. The body language is off.

Last edited:
Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Something just seems off with Seider this year. Last year he he was smiling all the time. This year it looks like he’s sulking most of the time, even when the Wings score. I don’t think I’m making this up. The body language is off.
Something is off, both physically and mentally. He's not as strong on his skates, last season I said he had elite leveraging skills. He got pulled down a few times but Boyle was the only player to knock him down clean with a hit. This season he's been knocked down quite a few time and looks average for a big defenseman.

What concerns me is that sometimes he doesn't act like he wants the puck. I'm not the only one to notice, and there's that OT game where he gave the puck away twice in the o-zone, just flinging the puck. WTF.

Next year is a contract year, so I'm sure he'll have more focus either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad