LeBrun: Chiarot likely to be dealt and return a 1st round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Ristolainen got a first and a second. Which makes any other defenseman in the league worth, at minimum, more than a first and a second

Oilers will give you the shot blocking king of the NHL for that . Russell to any team .

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I was referring to this season. Someone cited a media quote on a previous page that "last night's game was a great example of why Chiarot will fetch a 1st." Was that media member using the PP goal Chiarot scored as part of his argument? Because the only team that could possibly put Ben Chiarot on their PP would be a sub par team, definitely not playoff bound. I know I'm being facetious with that comment, clearly teams would be acquiring him for a different reason, but the point stands that he's still a 4/5 on a good team. I'm glad he had a great playoff run for you guys last year. We once had Jaroslav Spacek play out of his mind for a playoff run that took us to the finals. The next year in the playoffs for the Sabres he came back to earth.

I'm not saying he can't/won't net a 1st, but he wouldn't be my first choice. There's a lot of teams that already traded 1sts at the start of the season. Beyond that there's teams that need to keep their 1st because they've depleted their prospect pool in previous cup runs. I don't know if there will be more than 6-8 teams looking to deal their 1st for an upgrade. If 8 players better than Chiarot are available, the market will determine if he's worth a 1st.
Problem on this board is your 1st choice is most likely not available or not available for the same as you'd pay for Chiarot (a late first round pick). I get that he's not the most exiting player, but he's a guy you can count on to be physical and play mistake free. He wasn't necessarily on fire last year, he did just that, but he did it constantly against the other teams top players, some of which are considered to be some of the very best in the game. I haven't seen one media or article claiming that Chiarot value's lie into his offensive game or PP abilities.

Reactions: Archijerej

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
You probably shouldn't comment on players you know nothing about. Chiarot is a better skater, handles more minutes better, more proven in the playoffs, can put up more points.
Yes, you are like only the 7th person saying that. Not like Savard's career-best is 36 points to Chiarot's 21, for example. The important thing is he CAN put up more points. Alright alright, I get it now. Should have also added intangibles though, idk.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yes, you are like only the 7th person saying that. Not like Savard's career-best is 36 points to Chiarot's 21, for example. The important thing is he CAN put up more points. Alright alright, I get it now. Should have also added intangibles though, idk.
Lmao why are you talking about a 23 year old Savards season? Savard later year was worse than Chiarot and netted a 1st.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I love how all the experts in the media etc. keep saying Chariot is a great trade asset and will likely get a 1st pick in return yet the "Experts" on here say he sucks and he won't.
Is there a third option for those who think he sucks and he WILL return a 1st? Because that's my take!

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I’m not saying definitely not, but there have been cases of analysts thinking things like Wayne Simmonds will fetch a first round pick for Philly at the deadline, so I wouldn’t fully count on this.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Great we have no cap space and I am glad that we can not afford to add Chia-rot . He can stay in Montreal .
I doubt he’s staying in Montreal given the direction of the club. Don’t want him? Cool. Some other team will. There will be plenty of suitors

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Petry is a great player who is having a brutal 2 months. Chiarot is a player who had a 2 month run.

My team can’t afford either so it’s a general comment on who I would hypothetically rather invest in if making a defensive upgrade for a playoff run.
Why would you assume the Habs would be willing to trade Petry for a late 1st round pick?

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
since the habs wont make the playoffs then the 1st thing is to dive to the bottom and stay there. since this is a lost year, no better time for a complete rebuild.
We all know what that means, sell sell sell for as many 1st rounders you can get then 2nd rounders. stock the shelves with good picks. I like CC but thats the last small guy I want, In fact I want 6.2-6.4 great skaters and from Canada or USA because I want GRIT, Also if the habs can find Quebec guy that fit this then go go go.
Habs need to WIN most plays along the boards and for that you need some weight and some grit. Note: if Gally was 6.3 220 with his way to play he would be unstoppable. Now for sure, NOBODY will trade you that guy so the ONLY way to get 3-4 of those is to DRAFT. On defense habs need some policemen, look how teams hate Romanov and his hits now imagine if habs had 4 out of 6, 6.3 220 hitters on defense. Legal hits but hits with an IMPACT. Did you see the AVS d smash our forwards last knight. YUK.....

Happy to say we already have atleast 2 both are great skaters in Guhle and Romanov (I know he ain't 6'3, but he is a tank) and Maybe Mailloux the guy is 6'5. I'd like to grab Jiricek this draft and have a future potential top 4 of

Guhle (6'2/6'3) - Jiricek (6'3)
Romanov (6'0) - Mailloux (6'5)

And they can all skate.

IIxGURUxII

Jul 19, 2018
I will say this .. As an Oilers fan , with season tickets to the Jets .. I have watched alot of big Ben .. I would not pay a first for him .. a second and a B prospect is the most I feel he is worth ..
Point two.. PLB has a trash track record on calling trades .. I do understand that Montreal is setting the price high at a 1st now.. most likely expecting a couple seconds .. but hoping for a 1st plus

I do not want to pay that for him .. but at the same time if all avenues have been explored.. I also would not be mad if we did pay it

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
If he's worth a 1st round pick, Tyler Myers should get you two 1st round picks.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Except for the fact that Savard is (was?) MUCH better than Chiarot.

That's not a fact. :laugh:. You are entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts.

Savard played a depth role and 14 min's a game. Chiarot played a more important top 4D role and played 25 min a game in the last playoffs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If he's worth a 1st round pick, Tyler Myers should get you two 1st round picks.

Myers is not twice the player Chiarot is. They are close in value. Do you think Myers is twice the player cause the Canucks are overpaying for him at $6M AAV? :sarcasm:

Chiarot prorated cap hit for the rest of the year is much less than Myers at any given point! Habs have more leverage here cause we can retain 50% and more teams up against the cap can fit him in and also go after other improvements. Canucks are up against the cap more than the Habs are.

Does he get a 1st? I'm not sure but his value is higher than most BS comments you see on HF boards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad