LeBrun: Chiarot likely to be dealt and return a 1st round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Mailloux is 6'5 now!!?
Size isn't everything, I'd gladly take a guy like Heiskenen or Makar over any of these bigger guys. But yes, I like the prospect of having big guys that are hard to play against.

Mailloux was 6'5 when he was drafted I believe. 6'3 was his height at the age of 16. Can't find the clip because it's old but it was talked about on tsn690 at one point by Tony I believe.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You're wrong about his time with the Jets. Chiarot is a left handed D and wasn't blocked by anyone. For us he was only serviceable when he was paired with Buff because he would just go D to D on the breakout. Otherwise he was an icing machine. He did look serviceable with the Habs too as long as he was paired with Webber from what I can tell. Now that he is not paired with an elite player to help carry him the cracks show.

Just my 2 cents that if you have an elite RHD to play him with, he will be useful. If you don't, he won't be so buyer beware.

Giving up a 1st for a D that needs to be carried a bit is ambitious but it all comes down to supply and demand.

If I had to guess about Left Handed D that may be available at the deadline in addition to Chiarot my list would include guys like:

- Giordano
- Leddy
- Lindholm
- DeKeyser
- Butcher
- Edler

So IMO it's going to be a bit of a buyers market for rental left Dmen. I realistically try for Gio and Lindholm before I go Chiarot.

If you guys can get a 1st for him than good for you, I just don't see it myself.

Chiarot (18/19) << Chiarot (21/22)

Reactions: HabsQC

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
Chiarot for a 1st is plausible but unlikely in my opinion. While he is the kind of guy some GM's lose their minds for, specifically come trade deadline time, I don't think he is worth a 1st and with a fair amount of them already moved I think it becomes less likely than it might have been in another year. His lack of puck moving skills makes him a poor option to carry a top 4 pairing and giving up a 1st for a complimentary guy seems like an overpayment to me.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
If you think Chiarot is the same player he was over 3 years ago now, you don't know what you are talking about. Chiarot was blocked on the Jets D from extra minutes when they had Big Buff and Trouba. With Montreal, he had oppertunity to play more and the results speak for themselves. You really need to go back and watch the playoff series wins against the Pens, Leafs, Jets, Knights. Chiarot was a huge part of our team D and many people have noticed it as well. Open your eyes.

Is he worth a 1st? Not sure but he will be a target my many teams and some may steer clear of the 1st price tag. Supply/Demand always sets the price.

Blocked by big Buff? If my memory serves me correctly he was big Buff's D-partner. It was Trouba who was blocked by big Buff.

IIxGURUxII

Jul 19, 2018
If you think Chiarot is the same player he was over 3 years ago now, you don't know what you are talking about. Chiarot was blocked on the Jets D from extra minutes when they had Big Buff and Trouba. With Montreal, he had oppertunity to play more and the results speak for themselves. You really need to go back and watch the playoff series wins against the Pens, Leafs, Jets, Knights. Chiarot was a huge part of our team D and many people have noticed it as well. Open your eyes.

Is he worth a 1st? Not sure but he will be a target my many teams and some may steer clear of the 1st price tag. Supply/Demand always sets the price.

I watch about 20 games a year and all of the last playoffs ... I stand by my statement

Reactions: HabsQC

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
If David Savard was worth a 1st and 3rd to TB, you can absolutely be sure Chiarot is worth that.
For everyone shitting on Chiarot, I can assure you 100%, after being subjected to 20 games of Savard,
Chiarot is worth (at least) the equivalent

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
GMs often overpay at the deadline if they think they're close. A 1st for Chairot is an overpayment, but it isn't impossible the Habs get that for him. I hope Holland doesn't throw away a 1st for a player like Chiarot, but uses it in a package for someone much better.

Not saying the Oilers will pay a first for him, but if they do acquire Chiarot... That name is one hell of a hilarious coincidence... Isn't it?

Reactions: TFHockey

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If David Savard was worth a 1st and 3rd to TB, you can absolutely be sure Chiarot is worth that.
For everyone shitting on Chiarot, I can assure you 100%, after being subjected to 20 games of Savard,
Chiarot is worth (at least) the equivalent
That's not how value is determined at all though. Savard was the best rental defenseman available last year, Chairot is at best 4th on the list of LD right now. Savard has had years of developing a reputation as a twi way 2nd pairing defenseman who used to be able to step up to top pair when needed. Chairot is more one dimensional.

All of this "Chairot for a 1st" talk is posturing by Montreal media. It's the Habs leaking some info so they can maybe squeeze a better pick out of one of their few trade assets whose trade value isn't at an all time low. Chairot won't bring back a 1st.

Reactions: Brobust
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Klingberg is a defensive liability you won't get a first
Offensive defensemen are always coveted, always. Depth defensive defensemen of Chiarot's ilk are a dime a dozen at the TDL. Right handed stud OFD who can QB a PP are rarely available.

I promise you that if both of these players are traded this year that Klingberg will net the larger return. Without question.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Ristolainen got a first and a second. Which makes any other defenseman in the league worth, at minimum, more than a first and a second

Ya, but there's only one Chuck Fletcher stupid enough to trade that for Ristolainen.

Not only did he trade that for Ristolainen, he traded Ghost AND a 2nd AND a 7th just to make room for him. So basically he traded a 1st, 2-2nds a 7th and Gostisbehere for a dumb hockey player who hits.

Oh, and Ghost is leading his team in scoring. I hate Chuck Fletcher.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

He is the same player. And Jets fans appreciated Chairot just fine. He was v. good alongside Byfuglien, not blocked by them. Habs just offered him too much $ and the Jets had to let him go.

He was very effective in the playoffs. The entire team had an out of body experience on the way to the Stanley Cup finals though. Cant read too much into it.

That said, goon on the team if they can get a 1st for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad