LeBrun: Chiarot likely to be dealt and return a 1st round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
That's not how value is determined at all though. Savard was the best rental defenseman available last year, Chairot is at best 4th on the list of LD right now. Savard has had years of developing a reputation as a twi way 2nd pairing defenseman who used to be able to step up to top pair when needed. Chairot is more one dimensional.

All of this "Chairot for a 1st" talk is posturing by Montreal media. It's the Habs leaking some info so they can maybe squeeze a better pick out of one of their few trade assets whose trade value isn't at an all time low. Chairot won't bring back a 1st.

We’re talking about Bergevin or Gorton here? Because it seems like this was being said when Bergevin was still here and it is still being said.

Also, nevermind the article where Eric Engels asked 4 different GMs (or executive) as they like to call them and where all of them said he’s getting a first round pick back because my man here @ManofSteel55 knows better than everyone, including GMs, Executives, Friedman, Lavoie, Lebrun etc…

Last edited by a moderator:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
We’re talking about Bergevin or Gorton here? Because it seems like this was being said when Bergevin was still here and it is still being said.

Also, nevermind the article where Eric Engels asked 4 different GMs (or executive) as they like to call them and where all of them said he’s getting a first round pick back because my man here @ManofSteel55 knows better than everyone, including GMs, Executives, Friedman, Lavoie, Lebrun etc…

Still hurtin from that sweep, aren’t we?
Rumors of 4 GMs asking about a guy on a bottom feeder about to blow up the team. If any of those teams were offering a 1st then a trade would have been made by now.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Rumors of 4 GMs asking about a guy on a bottom feeder about to blow up the team. If any of those teams were offering a 1st then a trade would have been made by now.
Not necessarily, the offer might only be for close to the deadline, when cap room has built up. A team that can't add Chiarot under the cap now might well be able to in 3 months. Plus, contenders won't make risky trades without knowing if they are still in the race by then. A couple of injuries can derail a season, so the acquiring GMs will want to make the trades closer to the deadline.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
I wonder if the Rangers would be on a package of say Chairot @50% + Lehkonen since they seem to want a middle six forward and are prime for some playoff time.

Kravstov + 2nd for both?

Combined cap hit of this is 4.15 million.
Right, trade 2 NHL ready players for an unprooven guy and a second. The objective here is to land as much early picks as possible, draft young guys and develop them correctly. You don't want someone else's garbage. The Drouin debacle was hard enough to swallow.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Not necessarily, the offer might only be for close to the deadline, when cap room has built up. A team that can't add Chiarot under the cap now might well be able to in 3 months. Plus, contenders won't make risky trades without knowing if they are still in the race by then. A couple of injuries can derail a season, so the acquiring GMs will want to make the trades closer to the deadline.
The offer might also not even be an offer but an inquiry.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario

That has never been how these guys operate. Players always move much closer to the deadline and serious offers roll in when the bidding really starts.

I pretty much guarantee that barring injury, Chiarot returns a 1st. He’d be a huge playoff add for any contender.

Reactions: HabsQC and Fatass

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That has never been how these guys operate. Players always move much closer to the deadline and serious offers roll in when the bidding really starts.

I pretty much guarantee that barring injury, Chiarot returns a 1st. He’d be a huge playoff add for any contender.
I look forward to discussing this after he is traded.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis

Your guarantee and a dollar will get ya a cup of coffee

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Defensive physical dman like him are worth a 1st in playoffs, if Savard landed a 1st last year surely Chiarot lands one this year.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Hopefully a pretender picks up Chiarot, hoping to make the playoffs and go far, and gives us a nice top-15 draft pick.

Hope is the only thing keeping Hab fans excited this year.

Sadly as a Canuck fan it’s more likely they trade their first again ffs.

Well probably not but at least the Habs probably have a plan.

As for Chairot returning a first…meh I’m not sure about that.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017

The reason most of the trades happen at trade deadline is because the majority of teams are trying to decipher whether or not they are sellers or buyers. And most teams will give their organization up until that point and even after to fight for a playoff spot.

I think Montreal are clear sellers, and if there was a deal in place for a first round pick, Montreal would be very foolish to not accept as @ManofSteel55 said, and it would also be very foolish for the team to not maximize on Chariot’s games played if they are paying a first.

I think he does return a first round pick, but like you said, it will be because of a bidding-war and the inevitable injuries that are coming- not because teams are lining up at this current moment to pay a first for him.

Reactions: HabsQC

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think many will complain at the price when he's traded but in the playoffs I think the team that gets him will be rather happy as long as he's in the proper role.

Yes, and that's why it makes sense that the tweet specifically talks about contenders providing a 1st round potential. He is worth more to contenders.

Also, we need to change the perception of what a first rounder looks like here. Chiarot could potentially provide a late first round pick, which is like late 20's or into the 30s.

These used to be called 2nd round picks not too long ago.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Acquiring team's first + additional 2nd/3rd for Chiarot and MTL's 2nd

He's definitely not a bad player like some of the comments make him out to be, but a 1st flatout just feels wrong for him

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Defensive physical dman like him are worth a 1st in playoffs, if Savard landed a 1st last year surely Chiarot lands one this year.

I didn't realize savard netted a first last year. If the market is comparable this year, it just increases my conviction that chiarot can land a first.

Chiarot is considerably better than savard, and frankly, savard did not look very good to me in tampa last year either out of the games I saw.

Reactions: Maitz

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
I don't think it's far fetched to believe he could get a first. It depends on the team and need, but it will depend on who else is available at the time. Playoffs are different in terms of calls, and you see some of these guys get away with more, making them more effective. A late first/early second type offer is probably not out of the question. I'd take him on the Leafs for the playoffs.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Chiarot was real good with buff on the Jets. He's not a number 1 lhd and prob not a 2 on most contenders but he's a solid 3 lhd likely and does have grit

A 1st? Lesser players have returned more. All it takes is 1 gm who wants him more

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad