LeBrun: Chiarot likely to be dealt and return a 1st round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto

Eric Engels report:

We surveyed four executives from around the NHL on Wednesday to ask what they felt that would look like, and each of them said a first-round pick should be obtained.

“Go through the list of free-agent D-men and you won’t find too many who bring as much nastiness as he does,” said the first one. “Watching him in the playoffs over the last couple of years, he’s a throwback. A total pain in the ass to play against, and he’s a horse.”

Another executive texted: “Tampa was willing to give up first-rounders for rentals you wouldn’t think would fetch them over the last couple of years, but they clearly had good reason to believe it would be worth it. There are a few teams this year who believe they have a chance to win and an even better one if they get a player like him, so it’s realistic they’ll be willing to pay that price.”

“He’ll get a first,” said the third. “If it’s not a first, a second won’t get it done on its own. You’d need a prospect or another pick in there.”

We shared that assessment with the fourth and he agreed, adding, “There’s been chatter in the market about Chiarot for weeks already.”

Jesus christ this place, everyone in here saying he won't be then above you have evidence from not 1 or 2 but 4 seperate execs all saying "he'll get a 1st"

Want to know the reason he will get a 1st? Because GM's different from Fans need to win on a timeframe, GM's have less then <3 years to show some success a fan can wait an unlimited time for a win

therfore HF fan's will always favor long-term assets over short-term assets. Barring an injury Chariot gets a first+ at the deadline

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
If you have a Top 10 offensive defense man he can be that rock to help protect the net front. If you have a Buff or Weber level player Charoit can help spread the depth of the defense. Don’t expect him to carry a pair. I hope teams I like don’t overpay for a complementary player like this.

Reactions: jgimp

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
? Retaining half and taking on turris would be completely fine for the Habs. Pretty sure they gain cap space in that trade.

True story. Turris makes 1.65; Chiarot at 50% is 1.75. Gain 100k in space.

Not sure why the other poster feels like retention/expiring dumps are a big ask? It’s how you facilitate a trade and has no effect beyond this year (which the Habs are already willing to write off).

As for paying the 1st for him, I dunno, very on the fence. He’d be a great D partner for Barrie, but I think his value is inflated based on the role he’s playing on a sub par Habs team. He’s a solid 4/5. I’d rather add to the 1st to get something better (if it’s out there).

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Except for the fact that Savard is (was?) MUCH better than Chiarot.

Wrong, and this indicates you haven’t watched either play. Or Chiarot anyways.

Seriously fella’s, its 2021, you can stream every game each night. Want to make a hot take on Chiarot or Savard watch some games.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Not sure why the other poster feels like retention/expiring dumps are a big ask? It’s how you facilitate a trade and has no effect beyond this year (which the Habs are already willing to write off).

As for paying the 1st for him, I dunno, very on the fence. He’d be a great D partner for Barrie, but I think his value is inflated based on the role he’s playing on a sub par Habs team. He’s a solid 4/5. I’d rather add to the 1st to get something better (if it’s out there).

Subpar? He did pretty well in the second round against the team that swept you, didn’t he?

as for the first part of your post, I totally agree. I don’t see any reasons for the Habs not to take on an expiring salary to get a deal done. It would be plain stupid to nix a deal just because you don’t want to take a Turris back.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
? Retaining half and taking on turris would be completely fine for the Habs. Pretty sure they gain cap space in that trade.
Strictly speaking they can just do it. I don’t see why they would though without an add. They can most likely get a 1st without keeping the equivalent of the entire salary

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Obviously Chiarot will land a first only on HF did people think otherwise
People hate on everything habs is next level around here. You would think the habs have the worst player in the history of the game and that all their players are overpaid.

I understand the team has been severally underwhelming this year but they did play in the Stanley Cup final less than 6 months ago and young challenging teams would always look for way to improve their lineup come playoff. Chiarot is not a superstar but he will find suitor come trade deadline same with other habs players.

Reactions: Habssince89

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Its less a big ask and more a question if that will be the best offer.

And while you can argue that "his value is inflated based on the role he’s playing on a sub par Habs team", his value, especially to old school GMs, is that only Hedman played more minutes last playoffs.

Reactions: Archijerej

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
If you have a Top 10 offensive defense man he can be that rock to help protect the net front. If you have a Buff or Weber level player Chariot can help spread the depth of the defense. Don’t expect him to carry a pair. I hope teams I like don’t overpay for a complementary player like this.

You are completely correct, Chariot is not a top 4 guy, but he can play in the top 4 if paired up with a offensive/puck moving partner and still bring some positives like fighting, clearing front of the net and physical play. He's really IMO a #5D based on skills, but has benefitted hugely by having Weber & Big Buff as partners for many years.

Now will he return a late 1st rd pick? Possibly, Habs retain some maybe, maybe some GM see's he has a offensive D man but needs a more defensive physical guy to be teamed up with him for a playoff push (& is in win now mode) or some GM overestimates what Chariot is and brings him in thinking he's a true top #4 guy, I mean we see GM's make bonehead moves and/overpay every year (& we all laugh at them) so no one should be shocked if this happens with Chariot..........he's not worth it based on skills but it still might happen in the right situation.

If a GM wants a physical Dman with limited skills who can clear the net front, fight, lay a big hit and is a solid #5D........Chariot is their man. If a GM thinks Chariot is a true top 4 guy who can carry a pairing himself or carrying a bottom pairing guy while playing in the top 4......you will be disappointed.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
...You didn't watch Petry play lately and isn't otherwise aware that he just signed until 24-25, did you?

Petry is a great player who is having a brutal 2 months. Chiarot is a player who had a 2 month run.

My team can’t afford either so it’s a general comment on who I would hypothetically rather invest in if making a defensive upgrade for a playoff run.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Two things can be true:

1) Chiarot may fetch a 1st

2) Any GM expecting the same results as Montreal by making him a top pair defenseman is likely going to see it crash and burn

Solid player, wish we never had to let him go. But the guy isnt a puck mover at all, he is a solid net clearer.

You need defenseman that can protect your own net in the post season. As a 2nd pair compliment to a RD better than him he could do real well.

Reactions: Thechozen1

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Two things can be true:

1) Chiarot may fetch a 1st

2) Any GM expecting the same results as Montreal by making him a top pair defenseman is likely going to see it crash and burn

Solid player, wish we never had to let him go. But the guy isnt a puck mover at all, he is a solid net clearer.

You need defenseman that can protect your own net in the post season. As a 2nd pair compliment to a RD better than him he could do real well.

To be honest, if you're trading for him, you're building for a run.
And if you're good enough to be building for a run, you aren't playing Chiarot on your first pair, and if you somehow are, you're looking for a #4 to play with your #1. He'd probably end up playing a bit too much, but you get the idea.

I mean, He was arguably the 4th D-Men during the run too (despite playing the highest amount of minutes), with the first and second paring being super interchangeable.

Reactions: Archijerej

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Am i missing something? Is it because he's a hab that people think this dude can't get a first? He's not amazing or anything but a top 4 guy is usually worth a first for a competing team at the deadline imo

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
since the habs wont make the playoffs then the 1st thing is to dive to the bottom and stay there. since this is a lost year, no better time for a complete rebuild.
We all know what that means, sell sell sell for as many 1st rounders you can get then 2nd rounders. stock the shelves with good picks. I like CC but thats the last small guy I want, In fact I want 6.2-6.4 great skaters and from Canada or USA because I want GRIT, Also if the habs can find Quebec guy that fit this then go go go.
Habs need to WIN most plays along the boards and for that you need some weight and some grit. Note: if Gally was 6.3 220 with his way to play he would be unstoppable. Now for sure, NOBODY will trade you that guy so the ONLY way to get 3-4 of those is to DRAFT. On defense habs need some policemen, look how teams hate Romanov and his hits now imagine if habs had 4 out of 6, 6.3 220 hitters on defense. Legal hits but hits with an IMPACT. Did you see the AVS d smash our forwards last knight. YUK.....

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
I love how all the experts in the media etc. keep saying Chariot is a great trade asset and will likely get a 1st pick in return yet the "Experts" on here say he sucks and he won't.
He sucks and he shouldn’t but all it takes is one dumb GM

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Maybe if Dubas had ponied up a 1st for Chiarot instead of Foligno you guys would have won game 7 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe if Foligno/Tavares/Muzzin were all in the lineup and Matthews wasn't playing with a badly injured wrist we would have won :) Can't predict injuries

Chiarot is garbage though, especially with the crackdown on cross-checks now, he's useless. RIP to the team that pays a 1st for this guy.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
To be honest, if you're trading for him, you're building for a run.
And if you're good enough to be building for a run, you aren't playing Chiarot on your first pair, and if you somehow are, you're looking for a #4 to play with your #1. He'd probably end up playing a bit too much, but you get the idea.

I mean, He was arguably the 4th D-Men during the run too (despite playing the highest amount of minutes), with the first and second paring being super interchangeable.

Yeah good point

Watching him against the Jets last year made me appreciate what we had.

Man he still ices the puck a lot :laugh: But in the end it didnt matter much.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Subpar? He did pretty well in the second round against the team that swept you, didn’t he?

I was referring to this season. Someone cited a media quote on a previous page that "last night's game was a great example of why Chiarot will fetch a 1st." Was that media member using the PP goal Chiarot scored as part of his argument? Because the only team that could possibly put Ben Chiarot on their PP would be a sub par team, definitely not playoff bound. I know I'm being facetious with that comment, clearly teams would be acquiring him for a different reason, but the point stands that he's still a 4/5 on a good team. I'm glad he had a great playoff run for you guys last year. We once had Jaroslav Spacek play out of his mind for a playoff run that took us to the finals. The next year in the playoffs for the Sabres he came back to earth.

I'm not saying he can't/won't net a 1st, but he wouldn't be my first choice. There's a lot of teams that already traded 1sts at the start of the season. Beyond that there's teams that need to keep their 1st because they've depleted their prospect pool in previous cup runs. I don't know if there will be more than 6-8 teams looking to deal their 1st for an upgrade. If 8 players better than Chiarot are available, the market will determine if he's worth a 1st.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Maybe if Foligno/Tavares/Muzzin were all in the lineup and Matthews wasn't playing with a badly injured wrist we would have won :) Can't predict injuries

Chiarot is garbage though, especially with the crackdown on cross-checks now, he's useless. RIP to the team that pays a 1st for this guy.
Crackdown on cross-checks!!?!! That was just for the first 15 games of the season buddy, it's over now. Try to tune in to a habs game, Chiarot and Romanov our by far our only 2 potent defenseman on a consistent basis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad