LeBrun: Chiarot likely to be dealt and return a 1st round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
All I want in the return is an unprotected 2023 1st. Whichever teams offer that first I'd accept.

Hopefully Gorton is able to get more but I think I value an unprotected 2023 1st over a guaranteed late 1st + 2nd

Unprotected 1sts don't really exist anymore, especially for mid tier acquisitions like Chiarot. I'd be happy to get a late 1st at the TDL for him.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
lol gotcha

unless something goes TURRIBLY wrong, STL's pick won't be close to that.. or even in the lottery
Hey most teams that trade their first round picks for the next year plan on doing well but you never know, injuries to key players can happen and next thing you know you're in the bottom half of the league :p

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Hey most teams that trade their first round picks for the next year plan on doing well but you never know, injuries to key players can happen and next thing you know you're in the bottom half of the league :p
I hear ya.. STL did that with Buffalo and for the 1st half of the season it looked very good that it'd be at least a top 5 pick.. luckily they got their act together but... like ya said, ya never know

Reactions: Doc5

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
All I want in the return is an unprotected 2023 1st. Whichever teams offer that first I'd accept.

Hopefully Gorton is able to get more but I think I value an unprotected 2023 1st over a guaranteed late 1st + 2nd

You're not getting an unprotected first. You're not going to get a shot in the lottery for Chiarot. You're just not.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I absolutely hated playing against him last playoffs, which probably means he's good. Dubas should be in on this, we have a big hole on our 2nd pairing, if he's available you gotta make an attempt for him. 1st + Holl (cap reasons) + 3rd for Chiarot with some retention ? While he doesn't have a right shot, he has good size and I love his physicality. Addresses a major concern for us. Top 4 of Rielly - Brodie, Muzzin - Chiarot would be pretty decent. We need to give our core the best chance, I don't know if a more suitable D-man is going to be available.
No i don't want to Tade him to the Leafs.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I absolutely hated playing against him last playoffs, which probably means he's good. Dubas should be in on this, we have a big hole on our 2nd pairing, if he's available you gotta make an attempt for him. 1st + Holl (cap reasons) + 3rd for Chiarot with some retention ? While he doesn't have a right shot, he has good size and I love his physicality. Addresses a major concern for us. Top 4 of Rielly - Brodie, Muzzin - Chiarot would be pretty decent. We need to give our core the best chance, I don't know if a more suitable D-man is going to be available.
So you want Montreal to trade within the division, take a 2 year cap dump and retain on Chiarot and they only get an extra 3rd over what the expected ask is? Not likely

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Unprotected 1sts don't really exist anymore, especially for mid tier acquisitions like Chiarot. I'd be happy to get a late 1st at the TDL for him.
You're right about unprotected 1st. At this point, with how he played last palyoffs and this year it would be disappointing if we didn't get a late first at least tbh

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
And I still think he won't. Thomas Vanek was rumored to bring back a first during the first tour with Detroit. He returned a 3rd.
Vanek was a big time floater, Chairot is a steady 2nd pairing defenseman with physicality, reliability and impecable work ethic.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Is Chairot actually worth a first?
I haven’t read through hardly any of this thread but I find it hard to beleive he’s worth anything more than a 2nd.

I’d be extremely upset if the Blues gave up a first for him. I really don’t think he’s big enough of an upgrade on Scandella to even consider pushing a first out.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I haven’t read through hardly any of this thread but I find it hard to beleive he’s worth anything more than a 2nd.

I’d be extremely upset if the Blues gave up a first for him. I really don’t think he’s big enough of an upgrade on Scandella to even consider pushing a first out.
Several hockey insiders and hockey pundits believe he’ll be traded for a 1st. Make of that what you will.

Reactions: BleedBlue14

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Several hockey insiders and hockey pundits believe he’ll be traded for a 1st. Make of that what you will.

im sure they are more knowledgeable than I am. And I’m sure that any team that truly is rounding out their defense and had the assets would love the acquisition. Just seems like there are a few bigger fish that need to fall before he falls into that top target range.

He just feels like more of a late tdl 2 2nds type of guy or a 2+3 late type of guy

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Friedman reporting that St-Louis GM confirmed him they would be willing to move a 1st for Chairot.

Some folks over here starting to get a bit nervous?

Lebrun saying 6 teams are showing major interest.

This really doesn’t sound like it’s coming from Doug Armstrong at all. He’s usually a lot more reserved and typically won’t pay a first for a rental.

I know Friedman is usually pretty reliable, but that just seems odd unless there is a different play here.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I could see the Kings part with some prospects and shore up their D if they manage to stick around the wildcard spot by the deadline.
They owe it to Kopitar, Brown, Doughty and Quick to give it one or two last shot.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018

I don't think ANY rental is worth a first unless its one of the 'generational' players or if you're bidding against a conference/division rival and you know they NEED the player more than you do and you just want to screw them.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
You're not getting an unprotected first. You're not going to get a shot in the lottery for Chiarot. You're just not.
if we take a protected first from team A for chariot . than if team A falls off a cliff and finishes any where from 25-30th. than team A gets to keep that pick ( if it was top ten protected let's say ) . that will result in montreal getting their 1st the following year with no protection. is this correct ?

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
im sure they are more knowledgeable than I am. And I’m sure that any team that truly is rounding out their defense and had the assets would love the acquisition. Just seems like there are a few bigger fish that need to fall before he falls into that top target range.

He just feels like more of a late tdl 2 2nds type of guy or a 2+3 late type of guy
Prior to Chychrun becoming available Chiarot was top of the TSN trade board. He’s still 2nd or 3rd. He’s a player that will attract a lot of attention.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
So is Vanek a good comparable for Chiarot in your mind?

In terms of what the likely delta between what pundits say he will return and what he probably will return? Yes.

clearly they are two different types of players… but there is history for the Chiarot type (or even better than him) going for a couple seconds at a deadline (Boychuk, Douglas Murray, Nick Leddy, etc). And I brought up Vanek solely because in that year it was a no doubter from the media that he was the top forward rental option and he was returning a first. And then he went for a fraction of that.

SlyIslands

May 28, 2003
Visit site
In terms of what the likely delta between what pundits say he will return and what he probably will return? Yes.

clearly they are two different types of players… but there is history for the Chiarot type (or even better than him) going for a couple seconds at a deadline (Boychuk, Douglas Murray, Nick Leddy, etc). And I brought up Vanek solely because in that year it was a no doubter from the media that he was the top forward rental option and he was returning a first. And then he went for a fraction of that.
Leddy and Boychuk were a cap dump, Murray was never a good defender he was just so slow. You are looking at oranges and talking about apples

SlyIslands

May 28, 2003
Visit site
This really doesn’t sound like it’s coming from Doug Armstrong at all. He’s usually a lot more reserved and typically won’t pay a first for a rental.

I know Friedman is usually pretty reliable, but that just seems odd unless there is a different play here.
Friedman never said that. Hockey30 is a terrible source. Friedman just said he thinks St. Louis might be interested but never quoted Armstrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad