LeBrun: Chiarot likely to be dealt and return a 1st round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
NHL insiders get shit wrong all the time, bud. But nice appeal to authority.

I'll believe that a team will surrender a first for Ben Chiarot over any other options available at the TDL when I see it. Teams value 1sts like gold now. This isn't the early cap era when you were shipping a 1st and more for Paul Gaustad.

The market is very weak for Chiarot style D available without an expensive contract. Chiarot played a big role in the Habs winning three playoff series last season. These punishing D who can actually play are in big demand at trade deadline time. All four semi-final teams last year had heavy top 4 D.

Late 1st round picks have about a 50% chance of becoming a regular NHL player.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
NHL insiders get shit wrong all the time, bud. But nice appeal to authority.

I'll believe that a team will surrender a first for Ben Chiarot over any other options available at the TDL when I see it. Teams value 1sts like gold now. This isn't the early cap era when you were shipping a 1st and more for Paul Gaustad.

I’m not sure an appeal to authority doesn’t really mean what you think it does.

Reactions: Canadienna

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I suppose if a legit contender like Tampa or Carolina or Florida or NYR Maybe have a top 4 lhd injured badly and they are out long term maybe they send a 1st for Chiarot.

But the teams that make more sense like Edmonton and Edmonton and Edmonton... they aren't guaranteed to get in so don't see the 1st happening

People need to learn and understand the insiders job is to just sell bs and hope perhaps and tune in to tsn for trade deadline day crap then ppl do and 6 trades happen

It's all just underwhelming garbage. Couple trades Make u go why? What's the point... perhaps Chiarot is that trade this year.

Savard isn't a comparable at all as Savard wasn't being overrated by Habs fans

Reactions: John Mandalorian

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I suppose if a legit contender like Tampa or Carolina or Florida or NYR Maybe have a top 4 lhd injured badly and they are out long term maybe they send a 1st for Chiarot.

But the teams that make more sense like Edmonton and Edmonton and Edmonton... they aren't guaranteed to get in so don't see the 1st happening

People need to learn and understand the insiders job is to just sell bs and hope perhaps and tune in to tsn for trade deadline day crap then ppl do and 6 trades happen

It's all just underwhelming garbage. Couple trades Make u go why? What's the point... perhaps Chiarot is that trade this year.

to edmonton for a protected first if they don't make the playoffs .

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal

People need to learn to look at what was the return for big defenseman in previous years. Savard is absolutely a comparable. Chiarot was really good last year in the playoff and play well this year. He will return a first (who cares if it's Edm or not), just wait and see.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sign and trades almost never happen. People on here talk about them like they’re common place. They aren’t. The other team may be given permission to talk desl with the player prior to the trade. But actual sign and trades happen once in a blue moon. Regardless. With a deal in place Chiarot gets a 1st +. He’ll get a 1st without one

They happen but not frequently yes. I can see it happening in Chiarot's case. He could get a 1st without it yes. We will see how this develops

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
You have to assume they improve their goaltending this off season with Koskinen's contract off the books?
It’s been like 2 decades they couldn’t improve their goaltending. Are there any good UfA goalies disponible this summer?? And if so, will they want to sign with them?

i mean off course there is a risk but i would take it if it meant having a chance at a top 10 pick next deaft

Reactions: Habs Halifax

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
People need to learn to look at what was the return for big defenseman in previous years. Savard is absolutely a comparable. Chiarot was really good last year in the playoff and play well this year. He will return a first (who cares if it's Edm or not), just wait and see.
Savard was number one on the TSN trade board at the deadline. Why? Because no other defensemen were available. Everyone signed extensions. There is an abundance of defensemen available this year. Savard may be a comparable player but the situations are not comparable in the least.

Reactions: egelband

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Savard was number one on the TSN trade board at the deadline. Why? Because no other defensemen were available. Everyone signed extensions. There is an abundance of defensemen available this year. Savard may be a comparable player but the situations are not comparable in the least.

Savard is mot a comparable player and there is not an abundance comparable dmen.

Chycrun and Klingberg are better defensemen that are available and much more expensive.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Savard is mot a comparable player and there is not an abundance comparable dmen.

Chycrun and Klingberg are better defensemen that are available and much more expensive.
Savard was the only top 4 defenseman available last year. Its not hard to hit the Google machine to find a list of available pending UFA defensemen, and on that list are plenty of middle pair guys. Some are not going to be available but some will, and that will hurt the value of Chairot tremendously. Using Savard getting a first rounder a year ago when he was literally the only top 4 option is pretty ridiculous.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Chiarot is better than Savard so there is that too. I think Giordano and Chiarot are similar physical/mature types that GM's will want to add. There are others but when it comes to playing physical and top 4D trust, those two stand out.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Savard was the only top 4 defenseman available last year. Its not hard to hit the Google machine to find a list of available pending UFA defensemen, and on that list are plenty of middle pair guys. Some are not going to be available but some will, and that will hurt the value of Chairot tremendously. Using Savard getting a first rounder a year ago when he was literally the only top 4 option is pretty ridiculous.

Good thing Savard is not a dman of Chiarot’s caliber

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Savard is a top 4D? :sarcasm:

Savard to the Oilers for a 1st round pick! Lets do it :laugh:

Last edited:

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Savard is a top 4D? :sarcasm:

Savard to the Oilers for a 1st round pick! Lets do it :laugh:
Savard was seen as a top-4 D at last year's deadline. There's a direct quote from the Lightning GM in the attached article that says so. Just like Savard last year, Chiraot is probably a solid-2nd pairing guy that a team would look to acquire, but as others have said, there is more supply of top-4 LHD with expiring contracts this year than RHD last year.

Savard acquired by Lightning in trade with Blue Jackets, Red Wings

I don't know if there will be as much of a war for Chiarot as there was for Savard given guys like Giordano, Lindholm, Leddy, and others of lesser caliber could be available.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Savard was seen as a top-4 D at last year's deadline. There's a direct quote from the Lightning GM in the attached article that says so. Just like Savard last year, Chiraot is probably a solid-2nd pairing guy that a team would look to acquire, but as others have said, there is more supply of top-4 LHD with expiring contracts this year than RHD last year.

Savard acquired by Lightning in trade with Blue Jackets, Red Wings

I don't know if there will be as much of a war for Chiarot as there was for Savard given guys like Giordano, Lindholm, Leddy, and others of lesser caliber could be available.

Lindholm might re-sign but if he is not, he would return the best package IMO.

Leddy is not the same type as Giordano or Chiarot. I think Giordano and Chiarot are the physical ones teams target. Chiarot is drawing a lot of attention. This is not just some Habs narrative that is coming from us only. They guy is a beast and his skating is underrated. He raised his game in the playoffs. He will draw the same or more attention as Savard did last year.

Chiarot might come on a sign/trade. I can certainly see teams trying that angle

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Lindholm might re-sign but if he is not, he would return the best package IMO.

Leddy is not the same type as Giordano or Chiarot. I think Giordano and Chiarot are the physical ones teams target. Chiarot is drawing a lot of attention. This is not just some Habs narrative that is coming from us only. They guy is a beast and his skating is underrated. He raised his game in the playoffs. He will draw the same or more attention as Savard did last year.

Chiarot might come on a sign/trade. I can certainly see teams trying that angle
I understand he's a good player, I'm not denying that. I just disagree that he will draw more attention than Savard simply due to supply vs demand of their respective positions at the time of the deadlines. Savard's price went up due to lack of available RHD, where as I said, there are many LHD options available this year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I understand he's a good player, I'm not denying that. I just disagree that he will draw more attention than Savard simply due to supply vs demand of their respective positions at the time of the deadlines. Savard's price went up due to lack of available RHD, where as I said, there are many LHD options available this year.

I see your point but don't entirely agree with it. Chiarot is better than Savard in many areas of the game. And he can play both sides. What Chiarot provided for the Habs in the last two playoffs has not gone unnoticed by players and management across the NHL. He's going to draw a lot of attention and he is going to help a contender with an edge in the playoffs.

It's deeper than just RD and LD. It's about inserting a legit top 4D who is a physical beast with very good skating for a big man.

What other two than Giordano and Chiarot are comparables? I'm not asking for a list of LD's, I'm asking for types of LD's like what they can provide?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad